• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

odds of skins making playoffs

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. I just think that RGIII makes your team a playoff possibility but without him I don't see it. I think the Niners and Seahawks have the two most talented teams right now. If you disagree then prove me wrong. I'm not being an asshole, I'm just asking that you tell me why I'm wrong.

Its a fair question. No doubt we are a better team with RG3. Hell, I think he makes us one of the best teams in the NFC. Also no doubt that SEA and SF are right up there, with ATL and GB. I do think given all of the good teams in theNFC, we will have to win our division. I don't see a WC coming from the NFCE. But I also don't think the NFCE is as strong as it has historically been. Philly is in transition and its just not realistic that they can pull all the new crap they are implementing together this year. Dallas is dysfunctional. They could just as easily be 4-12 this year as 10-6. My guess is they will once again put together a .500 year, give or take a game. SO that leaves NYG and WAS. NYG is aging. They have major question marks on both sides of the trenches. I don't think their defense is any thing to scare anyone this year. What they do have is Eli, Hakeem, and Victor. Thats about it. If you can pressure Eli, which will be very achievable, he can force throws. I just don't think they have to talent anymore to win it.

So that leaves the Skins. We are returning 21 of 22 starters from an division winning team. We also have returning from injury the following players: Orakpo (all pro), Merriweather, Carriker, Davis (on pace for close to 100 receptions before injury), Garcon, who missed almost half the season. The skins are a young, hungry team that believes in each other. We have talent across the board and we also now have depth. Our weakness last year was our secondary, but some of that was the loss of Orakpo and Carriker in game 2, killing our pass rush. That put a magnifying glass on a mediocre secondary, at best. But we drafted 3 very promising rookies in the secondary.

But your real question was about RG3 and injury. I have a couple of thoughts. First, losing a starting QB for any team is devastating. IF SF lost Kaepernick, how would they fair? But as I stated, we have talent and Cousins is loved and supported by this team. He came in and led the skins to a come from behind victory over the Ravens (remember them??) and he beat the Browns outright with over 300 yds and over 100 passer rating. He knows our offense and makes good decisions. So if RG3 goes down and given the state of the rest of the NFCE, I still feel confident that we have a shot at the division title even with Cousins behind center.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a fair question. No doubt we are a better team with RG3. Hell, I think he makes us one of the best teams in the NFC. Also no doubt that SEA and SF are right up there, with ATL and GB. I do think given all of the good teams in theNFC, we will have to win our division. I don't see a WC coming from the NFCE. But I also don't think the NFCE is as strong as it has historically been. Philly is in transition and its just not realistic that they can pull all the new crap they are implementing together this year. Dallas is dysfunctional. They could just as easily be 4-12 this year as 10-6. My guess is they will once again put together a .500 year, give or take a game. SO that leaves NYG and WAS. NYG is aging. They have major question marks on both sides of the trenches. I don't think their defense is any thing to scare anyone this year. What they do have is Eli, Hakeem, and Victor. Thats about it. If you can pressure Eli, which will be very achievable, he can force throws. I just don't think they have to talent anymore to win it.

So that leaves the Skins. We are returning 21 of 22 starters from an division winning team. We also have returning from injury the following players: Orakpo (all pro), Merriweather, Carriker, Davis (on pace for close to 100 receptions before injury), Garcon, who missed almost half the season. The skins are a young, hungry team that believes in each other. We have talent across the board and we also now have depth. Our weakness last year was our secondary, but some of that was the loss of Orakpo and Carriker in game 2, killing our pass rush. That put a magnifying glass on a mediocre secondary, at best. But we drafted 3 very promising rookies in the secondary.

But your real question was about RG3 and injury. I have a couple of thoughts. First, losing a starting QB for any team is devastating. IF SF lost Kaepernick, how would they fair? But as I stated, we have talent and Cousins is loved and supported by this team. He came in and led the skins to a come from behind victory over the Ravens (remember them??) and he beat the Browns outright with over 300 yds and over 100 passer rating. He knows our offense and makes good decisions. So if RG3 goes down and given the state of the rest of the NFCE, I still feel confident that we have a shot at the division title even with Cousins behind center.

Good post. I agree with much of this but the one thing is the Giants. Every time they get written off they come up big. Eli is a big game player and they still have Victor Cruz plus a very good DL. I see the Redskins being better than the Cowboys but I'm not writing off the Giants.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me, I've seen the Giants rise from the ashes too many times to write them off. I have every expectation that it will be a battle to week 17. They have a good QB and a good coach. And Cruz has burned us enough that I never underestimate him.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me, I've seen the Giants rise from the ashes too many times to write them off. I have every expectation that it will be a battle to week 17. They have a good QB and a good coach. And Cruz has burned us enough that I never underestimate him.

This. 100% this. And how many times have we had a chance to bury them and allow them to hang around and turn their season around. I think both Super Bowl years they were in the doldrums in early/mid-season when we played them and let them off the mat.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should change your avatar to Nikola Tesla. He is THEE reason we have the technology we have today. Atom bombs are old news.

Tesla can kiss Einstein's choata for all I care.

:D

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post. I agree with much of this but the one thing is the Giants. Every time they get written off they come up big. Eli is a big game player and they still have Victor Cruz plus a very good DL. I see the Redskins being better than the Cowboys but I'm not writing off the Giants.

Our DL was atrocious last year.

And we lost our best interior DL to free agency.

It's still TBD if our DL is any decent. If Tuck doesn't lose the vagina he grew and Pierre Paul can't beat double teams... it's going to be a long season for our D again.

Our offensive production is predicated on two things (IMO)

Nicks staying healthy. Which is a much bigger IF than Griffin.

Can Wilson be an everyday down back, eg can he learn how to pass protect (which he struggled with mightily).

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. 100% this. And how many times have we had a chance to bury them and allow them to hang around and turn their season around. I think both Super Bowl years they were in the doldrums in early/mid-season when we played them and let them off the mat.

if we underestimate the giants they will bitch slap us back to reality . that team , as long as eli is around , will be formidable

as for cousins, me and my rose colored homer glasses say that cousins can take us to the playoffs in the shanahan offense

he might throw more picks then RG3 but he can lead and move this offense :nod:

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboticDreams
Look, I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. I just think that RGIII makes your team a playoff possibility but without him I don't see it. I think the Niners and Seahawks have the two most talented teams right now. If you disagree then prove me wrong. I'm not being an asshole, I'm just asking that you tell me why I'm wrong.

Super touchy subject there lol. On paper, unbiased yes. If I want to be technical, even slightly a perceived hater...
One could claim the Atlanta Falcons are more talented than the Seattle Seahawks. Better regular season but more importantly ATL beat SEA in the post season. Going back to the "talent" aspect I think Seattle has the BEST secondary in the NFL, just about the best in every catergory except -LB, WR, TE & Coach/Athletic training or whoever is administering PEDs

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robot- how can anyone prove an opinion to be wrong? It's your opinion and good for you.

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Seahawks are that great, and I don't hunk the niners are that much more talented then the redskins.

The Seahawks had literally ZERO injuries last year, snuck into the playoffs off of one gifted win from the replacement refs, and were getting smoked by a redskins team ravaged by injuries, with a qb on one leg.

Wilson was a fourth rounder for a reason: he's short, and not better at anything that luck, rg3, or Kaepernick can do. He's not after, more athletic, has a less strong arm, etc. reality will set in for them this year.

The niners are harder to predict, b/c Kaepernick actually IS that great, and Boldin is a better pickup than always injured Harvin. The niners defense has playmakers at te first and second levels, but it remains to be seen how effective their secondary is going to be. I also think Gore is pretty old, and te loss of Crabtree is going to hurt...

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give the Redskins Less than a 5% chance of making the playoffs. :L

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok troll - please tell me your prediction for the Boys this season. I am going to save it so that I can throw it back in your face later (which is probably a waste since you will banned well before that time).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shark - I will continue to have zero respect for this guy & Catfish & that is why I take exception to your "Be Nice" attitude. They have watered down their replies only because they know that they will be banned in 2 seconds if they post in the exact same manner as on ESPN.

However - they still never, ever give credit to any other team (esp Redskins), completely overrate the Boys & say the same things over & over & over again. Honestly - I just want them gone. They add absolutely NOTHING to the conversation & I really don't know why you would even stick up for trolls like these guys.

HTTR

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark - I will continue to have zero respect for this guy & Catfish & that is why I take exception to your "Be Nice" attitude. They have watered down their replies only because they know that they will be banned in 2 seconds if they post in the exact same manner as on ESPN.

However - they still never, ever give credit to any other team (esp Redskins), completely overrate the Boys & say the same things over & over & over again. Honestly - I just want them gone. They add absolutely NOTHING to the conversation & I really don't know why you would even stick up for trolls like these guys.

HTTR

SoCal... I will take it you havent been around for some of the more heated debates during the season over the last 13 years while ESPN was up. Im not saying always be nice. Im simply saying let it ride until the season starts. because reality will set in when Dallas continues their slow but eventual zombie rot. IM being nice because right now its not worth stressing over. IM not sticking up for trolls, Im just hoping we all realize that until the season starts all the bickering is just feeding into what they want. Make a point, be cordial, and ignore the blatantly stupid shit, and eventually they get bored.

Now come september, you will likely see the normal me thatfrustrates the hell out of the trolls. :suds:

SkinFaninATL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude you say that as if the only player we have on the team is RG3. We have a reliable backup, we have a stud RB. The last game RG3 actually missed, we won.

Good point! :agree: Sure! RGIII was a huge reason we went to the playoffs. However, many can't forget Alfred Morris ran for 1,600 yards and 13 HRs - his home run swing in the endzone- as a rookie. Dude is not just another system RB that Mike Shanahan drafted. Also, the defense stepped up big, last year. This year, the defense is likely to be better out of the gate. Important! We already know we can score points. With all being said, if the team plays better, we'll definitely go to the playoffs.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year was just a one year wonder fluke. Back to reality for you guys this year. You might beat out the Egals for the basement though.

I will say this, if Dallas finishes better than 7-9 I will be surprised. But by the middle of the season, I expect cowboys fans to be screaming for Garrett's head (again), Making Excuses for Romo (again), and talking about the draft as usual.