• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NY Mets 2022 Opening Day & April Games

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that totally sucked.
I know some of the pitchers are still in ST form....but b2b games with the BP blowing leads in the late innings better not become a regular occurrence.....and I thought I'd never have to say this but.. Edwin Diaz has been missed these last few games.

Mets lose the series opener to Philly 5-4.

Tai Walker...

Up Next...

The Phillies send 2021 NL Cy Young Award runner-up Zack Wheeler to the mound for the first time this season. The right-hander is coming back from soreness in that shoulder and did not make a start in spring training.
He goes against Mets RHP Tylor Megill (1-0, 0.00 ERA) on Tuesday in the middle game of the series.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like that my optimism is down and my anxiety is up. We didn't address bullpen this off-season which was arguably our biggest need and it's coming back to bite us.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like that my optimism is down and my anxiety is up. We didn't address bullpen this off-season which was arguably our biggest need and it's coming back to bite us.
Yep. Eppler better not be complacent on that issue or it won’t go away.
Buck is still tinkering and figuring out to see what and who he has to work with out of the pen.
On a positive note: Peterson looked real good in his 4 shutout innings...so there’s that.

Hope they find a way to win tonight and then take the series tomorrow, which would be a great thing to bring back to Queens for their home opener at Citi on Friday.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it weird that we haven't really developed any relief pitchers? The bulk of guys over the years seem to be trades or free agents.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it weird that we haven't really developed any relief pitchers? The bulk of guys over the years seem to be trades or free agents.
It really is weird, because Sandy A. used to be a real stickler for loading up the bullpen with quality arms, whether on the big clubs he was working for, or their minor league teams. Not sure why the sudden shift away by him. That said...we do have a couple of promising pitchers down on the farm, but the PTB are hesitant/ overly cautious to "start their clocks" at the major league level too soon.
FTR: I see Steve Cohen circumventing that philosophy in the coming weeks/months if it's still a problematic concern later this season.

Last edited:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of arms....

From Yahoo Sports:
Mets right-handers Taijuan Walker and Trevor May both tweeted out seemingly good news after injuries forced them out of Monday's game.Walker, who left his start against the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday due to right shoulder irritation, tweeted Tuesday afternoon that "everything is all good!"May, who left the game with what he called "my version of dead arm," tweeted a thumbs-up emoji.Walker had been scheduled to undergo an MRI on his shoulder in New York, while May's would be in Philadelphia.
Speaking after Monday's game, neither Walker nor May expressed alarm about their issues.

"It's already feeling better now, but I'm gonna go for an MRI tomorrow just to know what we're dealing with, but feel pretty good about it," Walker said, adding that he did some testing on the shoulder that went well.
Walker was dominant before exiting Monday's game, retiring all six batters he faced while striking out four.
The shoulder issue Walker dealt with came on the heels of him being forced to leave his final spring training start because of a right knee problem.
According to Walker, the knee issue was a result of his doing lots of work on his lower half while trying to get his mechanics right in advance of the regular season.
May, who said he usually deals with arm soreness early in the season, was asked to record more than three outs for the first time as a Met, and he said that, combined with the cold and still only being four weeks removed from reporting to spring training led to the awkward feeling in his arm.
"It's been a little bit since I've done it [pitch more than one inning], so went out there and just didn't really loosen up. And that was kind of the first test of it anyway, so now I know," May said after Monday's game. "But it was nothing - there was no pitch or sharp pain or something went. It's all stuff I've felt before."

While Walker and May have seemingly gotten good MRI results, it remains to be seen when they'll next be able to take the mound.
If Walker needs some down time, the Mets will likely insert David Peterson into Walker's spot. Peterson gave the Mets 4.0 scoreless innings in relief of Walker on Monday night. As for May, the Mets could give arms like Jose Butto, Yoan Lopez, or Thomas Szapucki a call-up to the bigs, if necessary.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phils have a runner on 2nd with 1 out in the 6th.
Buck pulls Megill ...and calls for the lefty Shreve to face Schwarber & Realmuto.

Edit:

Shreve got the 2nd out on 1 pitch, and the 3rd out with a K of Realmuto.

Onto the 7th.
1-0.

Last edited:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dare I say thank God Edwin Diaz is back?
Like I said a few posts ago..he's been missed.
Glad he's back....and so is his slider...they were nasty.
Striking out Schwarber, Harper & Hoskins (the latter 2 with runners on) in the bottom of the 9th of a very close game is no small task. Sugar stepped up Big Time.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets take the middle game 2-0.
Rubber game mañana.

Megill was stellar again. Bullpen came through this time.

The Wrap/Recap....

The Box....

The Vids....

Trainer's Room...

Mets: RHP Taijuan Walker was put on the 10-day injured list because of bursitis in his pitching shoulder. Walker was lifted after throwing 30 pitches in his season debut on Monday night.

Up Next....

Three-time Cy Young winner Max Scherzer (1-0, 4.50) makes his second start since signing with the Mets in the offseason against Phillies RHP Aaron Nola (1-0, 6.00) in the conclusion of the three-game series on Wednesday afternoon.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets lead 4-1 in the 6th.
Scherzer got through 5 with very minimal damage...but he's at 96 pitches.
Mets got RBI's from Nimmo (solo HR)....Pete had rbi doubles in the 4th & 5th..and McNeil was HBP w/ the bags full)

Also.....3 more Mets batters have been plunked today......Damn....but everyone is okay.

edit:
Marte just made it 5-1 with a 2 out rbi single.

YES!