• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

not 'if' but 'how'

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bengs booger up this draft.

the phenom doesn't want to play in chile town. Degrades his trade value. Palmer and Boomer both say Brown doesn't want to win. I believe them. I mean I know that. I was a stupid fan.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All t he boogering is going to come in rounds 2-7. No way to screw the 1st pick up. He already said he would be happy to play for any NFL franchise willing to pay him. Bengals are forced to spend the slot money so he is at least here for 5 years. Question is, are the Bengals willing to trade up from 33 to 32 by sacrificing their 7th round pick in order to lock in another draft pick to a 5th year option?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was a guy who used to post on our board that Carson Palmer was the "real deal" and "the golden child".

that guy knew everything. he couldn't be convinced otherwise. where did he go? my guess is someone finally gave him a beat down.

I have to hand it to him, Byron Leftwhich, who I liked, was a couple hamburgers short of a happy meal.
But I also thought Ben Rothlesberger might be better than advertised.

oh well, hindsight is 20/20

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount of play the national media is giving to Burrow doesn't want to be in Cincinnati is 100% ridiculous - he's said quite the opposite and everyone ignores him because there's no story in that.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the Bengals are not a legitimate NFL team, they should be forced out of the league.

I can see their angle though, Burrow may have doubts about playing for the Bengals; however, it doesn't really benefit him to badmouth his future boss and team and upset the fans he's going to be playing in front of.

It's up to OTHER teams to make us an offer MIKE BROWN CAN NOT REFUSE.

it's not up to Mike Brown to give away the first pick in the draft to the highest bidder just because he runs a low market team with a low probability of winning playoff games.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, if you look at this league, it is QB driven. They are the ones that make the most money, they run the offense, a league driven by scoring. They are the face of the franchise, and the truly great ones carry their crappy teams on their back, kicking and screaming like little brats into the playoffs. Teams that are going to be a decade type team like the Patriots, 49ers, Steelers, Packers, Broncos, Colts, Seahawks....you need the QB first and foremost.

Even if Mike Brown got the greatest package ever, is the QB still worth passing on? I have to edge on No. However, you have Tua available also, who was originally labeled the cream of the crop before all his injury. He is damaged goods, and he will get hit alot behind our current Oline. Not sure he is worth the gamble.

I don't see Miami's 3 picks in the 1st this year helping us nearly as much as Burrow could as he leads this franchise. It just is not a comparable trade. Yes, the sounds of 3 - 1st round picks sound amazing, and no player in the league even fetches that, not even Khalil Mack when he was traded to the Bears, but he is not the QB.

How much would it take for KC to trade Mahomes? Pretty sure there is nothing anyone could offer them, even 15 first round picks over the next 15 years to make them give him up. They will be nope, he is untouchable, no matter what you are offering. Especially at his age.

You have to take Burrow, even with the chance he doesn't pan out. You have to have the franchise QB, and when you have a guy like Burrow available in the draft, and you happen to possess the #1 pick that year, and he is from Ohio? You just have to take it, because the stars never align like this, especially for a franchise like the Bengals.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, if you look at this league, it is QB driven. They are the ones that make the most money, they run the offense, a league driven by scoring. They are the face of the franchise, and the truly great ones carry their crappy teams on their back, kicking and screaming like little brats into the playoffs. Teams that are going to be a decade type team like the Patriots, 49ers, Steelers, Packers, Broncos, Colts, Seahawks....you need the QB first and foremost.

Even if Mike Brown got the greatest package ever, is the QB still worth passing on? I have to edge on No. However, you have Tua available also, who was originally labeled the cream of the crop before all his injury. He is damaged goods, and he will get hit alot behind our current Oline. Not sure he is worth the gamble.

I don't see Miami's 3 picks in the 1st this year helping us nearly as much as Burrow could as he leads this franchise. It just is not a comparable trade. Yes, the sounds of 3 - 1st round picks sound amazing, and no player in the league even fetches that, not even Khalil Mack when he was traded to the Bears, but he is not the QB.

How much would it take for KC to trade Mahomes? Pretty sure there is nothing anyone could offer them, even 15 first round picks over the next 15 years to make them give him up. They will be nope, he is untouchable, no matter what you are offering. Especially at his age.

You have to take Burrow, even with the chance he doesn't pan out. You have to have the franchise QB, and when you have a guy like Burrow available in the draft, and you happen to possess the #1 pick that year, and he is from Ohio? You just have to take it, because the stars never align like this, especially for a franchise like the Bengals.
IF the Bengals got a kings ransom and traded down - Tua is not the guy. No way, no how. Sorry. Better off either trying for a F/A, running Dalton out there for 1 more year, or select Herbert later in the 1st round. I'm not a fan of Tua - especially now coming off a major injury.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since everyone is throwing out wild trade rumors for every team to trade up to #1, here's a wild one involving the Redskins I came up with.

Bengals get: Haskins, Trent Williams, and #2 (and probably another pick)
Redskins get #1

Potential HobSpin: Bengals get a young, 1st round talent, local QB on rookie contract, upgrade at OL, and chance to take Young (another local) to upgrade DLine.

Downside: its not Burrow

*Note-I wouldn't do it, but i'm just having fun thinking of wild ideas*

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since everyone is throwing out wild trade rumors for every team to trade up to #1, here's a wild one involving the Redskins I came up with.

Redskins get #1

Potential HobSpin: Bengals get a young, 1st round talent, local QB on rookie contract, upgrade at OL, and chance to take Young (another local) to upgrade DLine.

Umm...I might have to think for a minute about that one.

Dwayne Haskins
Chase Young
Trent Williams
Plus another pick?

Hmm...that is for sure something to debate.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Redskins get #1

I wouldn't. Mostly because I don't have high value for Williams. I can buy that he was playing for a lousy franchise that didn't have his best interests in mind. They are the Redskins. That said, he's 31 years old and has been a malcontent on one poor franchise. No reason to believe he would do much for our team.

I don't know what to make of Haskins.... It's odd to me that the scouts didn't love him. He's a big dude with a big arm. What's not to like? He didn't look great as a rookie, but he was playing with a piss poor team. I guess I just don't know enough about why he isn't more highly regarded.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't. Mostly because I don't have high value for Williams. I can buy that he was playing for a lousy franchise that didn't have his best interests in mind. They are the Redskins. That said, he's 31 years old and has been a malcontent on one poor franchise. No reason to believe he would do much for our team.

I don't know what to make of Haskins.... It's odd to me that the scouts didn't love him. He's a big dude with a big arm. What's not to like? He didn't look great as a rookie, but he was playing with a piss poor team. I guess I just don't know enough about why he isn't more highly regarded.

All very valid points.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, hold on - we are going to take Haskins and Williams - so that they can draft Burrow?

I think that tells you right there - you don't want to trade for Haskins....Williams might be nice - but there are some younger options on the F/A market that are good options. I'd prefer to kick the tires there and keep the #1 pick.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, hold on - we are going to take Haskins and Williams - so that they can draft Burrow?

I think that tells you right there - you don't want to trade for Haskins....Williams might be nice - but there are some younger options on the F/A market that are good options. I'd prefer to kick the tires there and keep the #1 pick.

I agree with you. Only thing I was thinking with the trade proposal...you get a star tackle, a young QB with 4 years left on his rookie contract that went in the top 10, and you get Chase Young, along with another pick.....that is a good haul.

However, top 10 QB means nothing, look at all the Browns past QB's, and Josh Rosen. If Williams doesn't reup and becomes a more more team oriented player, then he is a wasted trade piece. Then you are left with Young, who is fantastic, but you have no idea what the other draft piece turns into.

I think I stick with the upside and monetary value Burrow will bring to the franchise still.

Burrow is the pick, really is.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, I think we pretty much have to bet on Burrow.

just don't expect him to save us right away, Dalton had Green and Eifert to throw to early on in his career. We're going to have to 'rebuild' around Burrow, which may be a slower process.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

just don't expect him to save us right away, Dalton had Green and Eifert to throw to early on in his career. We're going to have to 'rebuild' around Burrow, which may be a slower process.

I have a feeling Green is coming back, and with Green, Boyd, Ross, Tate along with Eifert and Uzomah and Joe Mixon...I don't think it is going to take that long to rebuild around Burrow if we nab one FA OL and maybe draft one in round 2 or 3. Question is...can we fix the defense well enough to keep Burrow from having to score 40 points every game to keep us in it.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This isn't exactly true. In Dalton's first year he had Green, Jerome Simpson and Jermaine Gresham. In his second year, he didn't even have Simpson anymore....We were relying on Armon Binns and a rookie Sanu (Jones was hurt the entire year). Both Jay Gruden and AJ Green don't get enough credit for how great they must have been to carry those offenses in those years.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't exactly true. In Dalton's first year he had Green, Jerome Simpson and Jermaine Gresham. In his second year, he didn't even have Simpson anymore....We were relying on Armon Binns and a rookie Sanu (Jones was hurt the entire year). Both Jay Gruden and AJ Green don't get enough credit for how great they must have been to carry those offenses in those years.

I don't think Dalton gets enough credit either. Think what you may about him, he was not a bad QB.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton is Cincinnati personified. Not big stage, not small stage. Not great, but not terrible.

He is the median. if your starting QB is better than Andy Dalton, you keep him, if not, you get rid of him. If your starting QB is Andy Dalton, flip a coin.