• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No trades and No WR?? How could the draft look?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all aboard the 'draft a CB' wagon but I'm not sure there is a lockdown guy there worth a first rounder. Dennard is a walking pass interference call but maybe he could get coached up.

Yeah he would have to learn how to be more careful. But the thought of him with that tight coverage with our pass rush would make it tough for the QB. I think Jenkins would be seeing a lot of balls coming his way which would be ok.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I've come to that realization, too. I do think Matthews would be an excellent pick but I don't think that is the direction the Rams will go. Clowney is going to murder the combine and every team is going to want him.

All the more reason to trade out. I think the dude will fizzle in the NFL.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he would have to learn how to be more careful. But the thought of him with that tight coverage with our pass rush would make it tough for the QB. I think Jenkins would be seeing a lot of balls coming his way which would be ok.
We gave up 98 yards a game to #1 WRs last year. Dead last in the NFL. The DVOA of passes to #1 WRs was +42% more effective against the Rams than against the average team. To put that in perspective, 31st place was San Diego at +24.7%. So the Rams were far and away the worst team in the league against #1 WRs.

1. Maybe we needed some better safety play

but

2. We need a true #1 CB. Peyton Manning went right after Jenkins in preseason and every team continued to do so during the regular season.

Jenkins did go through murderer's row last year. Basically a list of the best WRs in the league save Megatron. Long term I think he is a #2 CB, though

I know the defensive line is awesome but you could make a good argument that the 2 weakest spots on the Rams are CB and S.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenkins got roasted alot last year, especiall twice by golden Tate or was it Doug Baldwin. Either way he regressed, and I thought Trumaine Johnson was the better corner. We could use a true #1. Man I miss Aneas Williams.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenkins got roasted alot last year, especiall twice by golden Tate or was it Doug Baldwin. Either way he regressed, and I thought Trumaine Johnson was the better corner. We could use a true #1. Man I miss Aneas Williams.

It was Tate

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defensive plan to play off the receivers to protect the suspect safeties had a lot to do with the CB issues. Improving the safety play should in turn set loose the CBs more.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly is your point Jacobarch? Any player can be a bust. It happens all the time. If you're looking for a guaranteed bonafide can't miss selection, there is no such thing. But Clowney comes as close as any player you've ever seen. And to compare him to Courtney Brown is completely ridiculous. Thank you, but I think I'll stick with the opinions of experts who do this for a living over yours. And they are ALL pretty much in agreement that Clowney is a tremendous talent. The only question on him is his motivation. If the Texans draft Bridgewater and Clowney is still there, providing the Rams don't trade out of the spot, they'll live to regret not taking this guy for a long long time. Especially when he's sacking that wennie Bradford, which the Rams should have done a while ago.

All I have to say is Quinn. We drafted him with the 15th pick and he was the DPOY and is only going to get better. Point is we don't have to draft a DE No.2 to get a dynamite DE player. I just think Clowney busts, against better opponents he's been stonewalled and the thing about the NFL is all these NFL tackles are better than pretty much anyone at the college level. I could be completely wrong I just have that feeling with him. The same feeling I had with Jason Smith.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we need to draft clowney. I think Chris Long is consistent enough for around 8-10 sacks a year, which to me is just disruptive enough to cause problems for some OLines with his motor alone. Plus we have depth at the position with Hayes andSimms.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we need to draft clowney. I think Chris Long is consistent enough for around 8-10 sacks a year, which to me is just disruptive enough to cause problems for some OLines with his motor alone. Plus we have depth at the position with Hayes andSimms.

Right, if you're looking for another Edge rusher pick up Dee Ford. He's going to be better than Clowney mark my words.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We may not be able to afford long after next year 11.5m in 15 and 13m in 16. and he won't be young anymore. It's an option they have to consider.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I have to say is Quinn. We drafted him with the 15th pick and he was the DPOY and is only going to get better.
During the season, Quinn was a project top 3 pick. And then a funny thing happened: that year had the best draft in the modern era and Quinn hadn't played ball in a year.

Quinn is an exception to the rule. There might be a Quinn in every draft (player who drops due to lack of current film) but he won't always be a pass rusher.

Dee Ford is a 3-4 OLB. He is 6'2"...like a Michael Sam but maybe a bit more natural.

Jason Smith was a project and a combine warrior. And sometimes those guys pan out: look at Dontari Poe. Look at Tyron Smith. We just got unlucky.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may not be able to afford long after next year 11.5m in 15 and 13m in 16. and he won't be young anymore. It's an option they have to consider.

It is something to consider, but giving that it will be 3 years down the road I'm sure there will be other DE's that will emerge in the draft or FA (wishful thinking). Fact is we can use another LB to compliment ogletree, and JL. Dunbar at this point is a serviceable backup but I can't see him being an impact player anymore. Safety would be my other option on defense along with another DT in the 3rd round. I'm on the vote that we go OL with the 1st pick.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to think of it like WHERE do the a Rams need to get better so we can compete in the NFC West?

Where are we lacking?

What do we need to win?

A common answer for the Rams is offense.... Correct? Injuries happen, plays breakdown, shit happens. Excuses need to go!!

Ok so now where do we need to get better on offense?

Answer: We need to score more. But we also need to shutdown the opponents in our division.

If some of you really think our WRs are good ENOUGH and they will flip the switch next year, as will Bradford.. In the most dominant division in the NFL..

That's a lot of hoping people. What I've seen is average over the course of a few years. We can't keep stalling on offense people, I don't know how else to break it down for you.

We need beasts on offense to get better. We don't need to keep hoping for development players.

You either got it.. Or you don't.

Now where's my dam sheep!??

Last edited by a moderator:

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ, I agree with you... but apparently Snead is not listening to our expert opinions brother. I am of the opinion that, like you said, the one real weapon we need on offense is a CONSISTENT redzone threat that can also go up and get jump balls outside the numbers. Whether we use one of the first 2 picks that way (Evans or Benjamin) or if we go after someone in the mid to late rounds (Martavis Bryant, Brandon Coleman or L'Damian Washington), we need to draft at least 1 big physical WR to AT WORST pair with Quick on the outside if they think he takes a jump. Imagine, say Bryant and Quick on the outside, Givens next to Quick, Austin in a slot and then Cook at TE....

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless it is a complete smokescreen, some of the shit Snead has been stating lately is absolute lunacy and again presents the notion that these tools are going to trade way down and miss out on some offensive weapons we desperately need. This is what I was afraid of and I hope it is all a smokescreen because right now they are leaning on the edge of effing yet another draft completely up!!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless it is a complete smokescreen, some of the shit Snead has been stating lately is absolute lunacy and again presents the notion that these tools are going to trade way down and miss out on some offensive weapons we desperately need. This is what I was afraid of and I hope it is all a smokescreen because right now they are leaning on the edge of effing yet another draft completely up!!

I don't think last year was a bad draft? if jones ends up panning out its almost perfect.

Round Pick Position Player College
(1) 8 WR Tavon Austin West Virginia
(1) 30 LB Alec Ogletree Georgia
(3) 71 S T.J. McDonald USC
(3) 92 WR Stedman Bailey West Virginia
(4) 113 C Barrett Jones Alabama
(5) 149 CB Brandon McGee Miami (FL)
(5) 160 RB Zac Stacy Vanderbilt

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came across this mock and really like it with no trades. OT Martin is really shooting up the boards and they even went as far to say yesterday at the senior bowl that he may be the first OT taken.

Round 1 (from WAS) – Jadeveon Clowney – DE – South Carolina

St. Louis doesn’t need a defensive end. That is the argument everyone will make looking ahead to this pick. It’s fair to point out the Green Bay Packers didn’t need a quarterback when they took Aaron Rodgers in 2005 either. Jadeveon Clowney is one of those transcending talents that is just too good to pass up. Putting him in a rotation with Robert Quinn and Chris Long could alter the landscape of the NFC West.

Round 1 – Zack Martin – OT – Notre Dame

Athleticism goes a long way in the pros but so does intelligence. Zack Martin is not the most gifted offensive tackle but he is a technician with good enough balance, solid footwork and plenty of power. He does everything right, is never caught out of position and always seems to get his guy blocked. Those kinds of players are underappreciated, but the Rams should and will take notice given their needs up front.

Round 2 – Deone Bucannon – SS – Washington

Safety is one of the true need areas for the Rams. It’s not that the position is terrible but they do lack a true playmaker at that position who can take advantage of the pass rush. Deone Bucannon is a big, physical player out of Washington who loves to set the tone with his fierce hits. Don’t be fooled though, he’s also quite adept at taking the ball away.

Round 3 – Victor Hampton – CB – South Carolina

Jeff Fisher loves defensive backs who often have the tag “pesky” attached to their names. That often means they are physical, tough and don’t shy away from contact. Corteland Finnegan and Janoris Jenkins are perfect examples. The team can use more depth in that area. Victor Hampton is not the biggest but he boast very good athleticism and a mentality that he will throw his body around to stop the offense, by ground or air.

Round 4 – Andre Williams – RB – Boston College

He’s not a pass catcher or known for his blitz pickups but if a team is looking for a true running back in the old school sense, Andre Williams is that guy. The NCAA leading rusher for 2013 has that thickly built body backs need. He shows good patience and vision to find the hole and plenty of power to take and hit and keep gaining yards. On top of that he has great buildup speed. Durability is a question mark though, which is why he falls to the 4th round.

Round 5 – Brandon Coleman – WR – Rutgers

Tavon Austin provided the speed angle for the St. Louis Rams receiving corps in 2013. Now they need another element for Sam Bradford: size. Getting a big, physical target who can go get jump balls or battle defensive backs for tough catches would be ideal. Brandon Coleman is not a finished product out of Rutgers but at 6’6″, 220 lbs he is impossible to miss on a football field. While not overly fast or agile, he is quite intelligent and knows exactly what he can do.

Round 6 – Ryan Carrethers – DT – Arkansas State

Though they showed improvement in the second half of the season, the Rams can’t leave this 2014 NFL mock draft without bolstering their run defense. That means getting some size and strength up front. Ryan Carrethers out of ArkansasState is quite a load at 330 lbs. He’s not going to provide much help at collapsing the pocket but with enough quickness and strength he can plug holes to prevent teams from running whenever they please.

Round 7 – Andrew Jackson – ILB – Western Kentucky

Keeping with the physical mentality, St. Louis doesn’t need immediate help at linebacker but there is nothing wrong with adding depth at such a physical position. Andrew Jackson isn’t the most athletic kid out of Western Kentucky but he is a classic thumper, able to make sound tackles and deliver hard shots to ball carriers who come within his vicinity. He’s not worth much in coverage, but he still has value.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're looking for a guaranteed bonafide can't miss selection, there is no such thing. But Clowney comes as close as any player you've ever seen. And to compare him to Courtney Brown is completely ridiculous. Thank you, but I think I'll stick with the opinions of experts who do this for a living over yours. And they are ALL pretty much in agreement that Clowney is a tremendous talent.

I think it's important to remember that the only difference between we, the fans, guessing on a message board and the "experts" guessing in a tv studio, is that they suckered someone into paying them to do it. Lol. Don't forget, the walking haircut... err... Mel Kiper Jr. had Vernon Gholston as the top rated pass rusher in 2008. Todd McShay had Matt Leinart in his top ten, in '06. And both had Aaron Curry and our very own Jason Smith in their top 4, in '09. :laugh3: Hell... Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf were ranked, by the experts, 1a and 1b, at one point.

I'd argue that jacobarch's opinions (or, all of ours, for that matter) carry just as much weight as any "expert".

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot goes into why an NFL player is a "bust" or a success.

Some players just have "it" ( Manning, Luck, Dickerson, Sweetness, etc ).

Some players just never translate to the NFL at all.

Most however, require the right team or system in order to be successful. Would Brady be the Brady he is today if he was drafted by Oakland or Cleveland instead of the Pats? I don't think so.

How many times have we seen a player appear to be a "bust" or mediocre get traded or picked up by another team and flourish because he fits their system better, or the coaching staff on his new team is better?

Just because a player is successful in the NFL doesn't mean they would be successful on every team. It doesn't work that way. Brady wouldn't be Brady on our Rams team(s).

It's the same reason why those arguing if the Rams pass on Watkins and tears up the NFL, the Rams are going to regret not drafting him. Well, you can never make the argument he would have the same success on the Rams as he would on another team.

Yes, there are true busts in the NFL ( guys that never translate regardless of team or system ). Some guys bust because they were thrown into the fire and never allowed to mature/develop before "busting" out of the league. Others are given time to sit on the bench and learn or given several years to develop before reaching their potential. Some teams are patiently willing to wait while others want results now and therefore create the "busts".

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KSU - i think we are 1 really good WR away from being a much better offense, along with a solid LT/RT. And I don't think we have to go get a big guy, just to get a big guy. If Sammy Watkins ends up better or at the same level as Torry Holt, I would be ok with that. But he's alot fast than Torry and has good hands like Torry did. :nod:

Maybe Snead is just playing with people. I would have to say unless the guy is a compelte moron, whatever he is saying they will do - expect the opposite.