• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No trades and No WR?? How could the draft look?

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, I was at the station last night bored to tears and decided to play the what if game. What if Snead decides that Quick and Cook are enough of a red zone threat and they decide that Matthews is without question the BPA at #2?? How could a draft look for us?? Here is what I came up with via fanspeak:

2 Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
13 Ha-Ha Clinton Dix S Alabama
44 Adrian Hubbard OLB Alabama
75 Gabe Jackson OG Miss St
106 Tajh Boyd QB Clemson
141 Kelcy Quarles DT South Carolina
172 Ty Zimmerman S Kansas St
203 Pierre Desir S/CB Lindenwood

Now, I still believe we need 1 more big, physical WR but if the draft ended up like this, I would not be upset at all. :noidea:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, I was at the station last night bored to tears and decided to play the what if game. What if Snead decides that Quick and Cook are enough of a red zone threat and they decide that Matthews is without question the BPA at #2?? How could a draft look for us?? Here is what I came up with via fanspeak:

106 Tajh Boyd QB Clemson

Now, I still believe we need 1 more big, physical WR but if the draft ended up like this, I would not be upset at all. :noidea:

I have seen at least 4 mocks now where Robinson goes before Matthews. Seems Matthews is slipping a bit. And did I hear Fishers son goes to Auburn? And I believe Snead went there. They will have plenty of ties to Auburn. If they are looking for a run blocking Mauler Robinson is way better then Matthews.

Last edited by a moderator:

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be a toss up IMO.. Matthews' dad Bruce played for and coached with Fisher and is a HOF OT. But I do catch the Auburn connections too. I think we will know a bunch more after the combine. Other than that, how does that draft look to you??

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

106 Tajh Boyd QB Clemson

This would be just fine with me. I'm kinda 'hot-and-cold' when it comes to Tahj Boyd. But, I wouldn't be all that upset if we took a flyer there.

I've seen that Greg Robinson has been shooting up the draft boards, as well. I think either he, or Jake Matthews would be good options. I guess, all things considered, I'd tend to lean more towards Matthews, simply because of his football lineage.

I like Adrian Hubbard as another speed guy to bookend Alec Ogletree. And I really like the addition of drafting Clinton-Dix. Safety is clearly the weakest part of an otherwise good defense. If we're gonna go defensive with one of the first rounders, safety is certainly the spot to do it.

With all these under-classmen, the average age of the roster is going to be somewhere right around "infancy" for the next couple years. Lol.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be thrilled with that draft with the exception of Boyd, don't like him at all.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the Rams trade out but for the thread and if the Rams pick 2nd, I think it would be impossible to pick a OT with #2. OK years ago we picked up Pace but the group this year, a clear cut OT might not be there. There are several OTs we can get at #13, OK maybe not the run blocker Robinson is or the HOF family of Matthews but we need a RT especially. If we stay #2, we have 2 choises, Clowney or Best QB. We know Bradford will be with the Rams next season, what better way is there to bring a young QB along. Watching and learning. Just my opinion of course.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we stay #2, we have 2 choises, Clowney or Best QB.
I think I've come to that realization, too. I do think Matthews would be an excellent pick but I don't think that is the direction the Rams will go. Clowney is going to murder the combine and every team is going to want him.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard sports radio talking today about how Clowney is planning on participating in every drill and activity to raise his draft stock. He has stated that he wants to be the #1 pick and he's out to prove he's worth it. If the Texans pass on him, and we don't trade out of #2, I don't see how we can not take him. He's going to be a beast.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard sports radio talking today about how Clowney is planning on participating in every drill and activity to raise his draft stock. He has stated that he wants to be the #1 pick and he's out to prove he's worth it. If the Texans pass on him, and we don't trade out of #2, I don't see how we can not take him. He's going to be a beast.

Clowney has Courtney Brown written all over him.............

Taken first overall in the 2000 Draft by the Cleveland Browns, Courtney Brown had all the measureables of what should have been a stellar NFL DE. He ran a 4.52 40-yard dash; blazing for a big man. He also put up a respectable 26 reps on the bench press, so he was strong to go along with quick. So what went wrong? Well, Brown had a decent rookie season, totaling 70 tackles and 4.5 sacks; not the great totals expected but not totally unacceptable. His second season was cut short by injury, and he had problems staying healthy for the rest of his career. He only totaled 156 tackles for his entire 7 year career, including 19 sacks. While not a bust in the spectacular fashion, he’s a big-time bust nonetheless due to terrible return on investment.

-------------

While he may not be injury prone I think he'll be an average NFL DE

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Taken first overall in the 2000 Draft by the Cleveland Browns, Courtney Brown had all the measureables of what should have been a stellar NFL DE. He ran a 4.52 40-yard dash; blazing for a big man. He also put up a respectable 26 reps on the bench press, so he was strong to go along with quick. So what went wrong? Well, Brown had a decent rookie season, totaling 70 tackles and 4.5 sacks; not the great totals expected but not totally unacceptable. His second season was cut short by injury, and he had problems staying healthy for the rest of his career. He only totaled 156 tackles for his entire 7 year career, including 19 sacks. While not a bust in the spectacular fashion, he’s a big-time bust nonetheless due to terrible return on investment.

-------------

So we have Courtney Brown, Akili Smith, Luke Joeckel and Justin Blackmon at the top of the draft, right?

Any player can bust

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, Joeckel had a solid season until he got hurt... better than Smith did as a #2 pick

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we knew what the status of Finnegan was. That would change how I draft if I'm the Rams. if i was the gm i would cut him and save the 6m and get a stud corner at 13 to replace him for way less money(Dennard). If Jenkins goes down with an injury we are very thin at CB McGee would be our starter. I can't see them going OT at #2. Remember we have Long and they are very happy with Barksdale's play on the RT side so where would he play? Robinson seems like if he failed at OT you could always move him to guard like Saffold and be a great run blocker. What If the Rams traded back to 6 or 7 and got Robinson they could start him at Guard then draft say Gabe Jackson in the second and our Oline would be set. and if Long or Barksdale got hurt he could kick outside.(he would be our new versatile Saffold) If the Rams for some reason want a OT with one of the first two picks I would go Lewan at 13. I also see Safety Calvin Pryor is shooting up the boards and I think he will eventually be the #1 Safety over HaHa. Another thought on Clowney, C. Long is due 11.5m in 2015 & 13m in 2016 the Rams can cut him after next year and not take much of a hit and save a ton of money on the cap.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if not Clinton-Dix, I would LOVE to see Calvin Pryor in a Rams Uni...

And if not Boyd, David Fales or Jimmy Garrapolo....love both of them..

So question, do you think Clowney could develop into an OLB in the NFL?? I guess his combine performance will tell us that.

Bottom line is that the Rams are set to cash in no matter which way they go in this draft, unless they completely crap the bed on the picks.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will draft another CB for depth.. I really REALLY like Pierre Desier from right here in St Louis at Lindenwood. 6'3" 205 and FAST.. can play CB or S.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will draft another CB for depth.. I really REALLY like Pierre Desier from right here in St Louis at Lindenwood. 6'3" 205 and FAST.. can play CB or S.

with our 13 pick i think i would go CB before S (if Finnegan is done). I just think its way more important position. get a safety later or hopefully land TJ Ward in FA. Jenkins has been very durable but man if he or T. Johnson would go down we would be in trouble.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-------------

What exactly is your point Jacobarch? Any player can be a bust. It happens all the time. If you're looking for a guaranteed bonafide can't miss selection, there is no such thing. But Clowney comes as close as any player you've ever seen. And to compare him to Courtney Brown is completely ridiculous. Thank you, but I think I'll stick with the opinions of experts who do this for a living over yours. And they are ALL pretty much in agreement that Clowney is a tremendous talent. The only question on him is his motivation. If the Texans draft Bridgewater and Clowney is still there, providing the Rams don't trade out of the spot, they'll live to regret not taking this guy for a long long time. Especially when he's sacking that wennie Bradford, which the Rams should have done a while ago.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly is your point Jacobarch? Any player can be a bust. It happens all the time. If you're looking for a guaranteed bonafide can't miss selection, there is no such thing. But Clowney comes as close as any player you've ever seen. And to compare him to Courtney Brown is completely ridiculous. Thank you, but I think I'll stick with the opinions of experts who do this for a living over yours. And they are ALL pretty much in agreement that Clowney is a tremendous talent. The only question on him is his motivation. If the Texans draft Bridgewater and Clowney is still there, providing the Rams don't trade out of the spot, they'll live to regret not taking this guy for a long long time. Especially when he's sacking that wennie Bradford, which the Rams should have done a while ago.

wasn't brown the guy that got the eye injury?

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't brown the guy that got the eye injury?

Wrong Brown... the guy who got hit in the eye with a ref's flag was Orlando Brown!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep KSUDodgers. Played for the Browns and that ref destroyed his career with that flag.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all aboard the 'draft a CB' wagon but I'm not sure there is a lockdown guy there worth a first rounder. Dennard is a walking pass interference call but maybe he could get coached up.