• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No Revis, no Browner...no problem.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots Secondary Continues To Play Well, Make Bill Belichick Look Like A Genius

BOSTON (CBS) — So about the Patriots secondary being their weak spot…

Continuing to defy the many critics and skeptics they had entering the 2015 season, the backend of the Patriots defense – particularly the cornerbacks – had another strong effort against theHouston Texansicon1.png Sunday night. That they practically wiped DeAndre Hopkins out of the game is proof of their prowess.

It was reasonable to be skeptical of the Patriots’ ability to cover top receivers and defend strong passing games, as Bill Belichick let Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner walk and turned to the talented-but-unproven Malcolm Butler and the took-a-step-back-after-a-solid-rookie-season Logan Ryan to anchor the defense outside the numbers. Both backs have answered the challenge and flourished as a strong complement to the Patriots’ ferocious front seven, while also taking a lot of pressure off of Tom Brady and the banged-up Patriots offense.

After weeks of tinkering with the secondary and figuring out his best personnel, Belichick finally settled on Ryan as the No. 2 corner behind Butler and continued to employ the same press-man coverage that many believed they may abandon after losing Revis and Browner. With Ryan and an over-the-top safety (typically Devin McCourty) covering top receivers and Butler often manning up on No. 2’s, the unit has made things surprisingly difficult for opposing offenses.

Butler has also had opportunities to face top pass-catching threats one-on-one, and has delivered in that regard as well, most notably shutting down the Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. after allowing an early touchdown that wasn’t even his fault. You no longer have to be surprised by how the secondary has played for the Patriots, because Butler has emerged as a true No. 1 cornerback capable of performing against some of the game’s top receivers.

malcolm-butler-on-nate-washington-patriots-texans-625-x-352.jpg
Malcolm Butler knocks the ball loose from the Houston Texans’ Nate Washington in the third quarter on December 13, 2015 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Scott Halleran/Getty Images)

As great as it has been to see Butler prove that his Super Bowl-saving interception wasn’t a fluke play, it’s arguably been even more encouraging to see Ryan rebounding from a down year in 2014 as he languished at the bottom of the Patriots depth chart. But it appears that Belichick made the right choice to retain Ryan on the roster as the top backup corner, and instead jettison Kyle Arrington and Alfonzo Dennard in his razing of the secondary.

Ryan showed glimpses of being a solid cover corner with good ball skills in his rookie year, so it’s great to see him not just bouncing back after a down year in 2014 but getting even better. Keeping Hopkins in check wasn’t Ryan’s first big-time performance; he demoralized Demariyus Thomas against the Broncos too. It was more of the same against Hopkins, who absolutely abused Revis a few weeks ago – and Ryan continued to cover Hopkins well even after McCourty left the game with an ankle injury.

Ryan clearly has confidence in himself, whether he’s gained it recently or it’s always been there. He agreed with Belichick that he was the right guy to put on Hopkins.

“I felt like I had good ball skills too, so I thought it was a good matchup,” Ryan said after the game on Hopkins’ pass-catching ability. He also credited the rest of the defense with doing their job, and making his easier in the process.

“When I get my assignment, I take it to heart,” Ryan said, “and that’s what we do here, man. Us on defense … We have matchups, we have gameplans, that we try to execute. And if I do my job and everyone does their job next to me, it all works out.”

Butler did get beat on a couple of deep throws to the Texans’ Nate Washington, but he also broke up a handful of potential big plays too. Washington is a veteran receiver and a strong deep threat, so it’s reasonable to expect him to make a couple of plays over the course of a game. Butler kept him out of the end zoneicon1.png, which was the most important part.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bill is smart

discuss

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revis got his ring, then his last big payday and now he gots a boo boo.

Who didn't see that coming?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revis got his ring, then his last big payday and now he gots a boo boo.

Who didn't see that coming?
i said this year he looked heavier and slower

and i got killed for it

and here we are

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad to see Ryan improving. I'm still not sold on him. I was tired of looking at #26 back chasing receivers down the sidelines. He's always been decent covering the slot it's outside that still scares me.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malcolm Butler can play out of his mind sometimes but he does seem to get burnt badly at least once a game. You're not always going to be able to knock the ball loose at the last second all the time.

Same with Ryan.

I like them both and like this defense a lot but against a gunslinger offense like, let's say, the Steelers they could look particularly bad.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree LT, this team is so bad it makes you wanna cry. Even more of when that bitch owner moves them to LA.
But if we wanna go with crying players, nobody tops Tommy.
View attachment 64760
he just wipes the tears with rings

causes bruising sometimes.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT has a meaty vagina
Hopefully he doesn't get any sand in there when he spends time on those San Diego beaches, it hurts like hell....or so I've heard.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he doesn't get any sand in there when he spends time on those San Diego beaches, it hurts like hell....or so I've heard.
is he crying on the beach too?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The beaches are so great, I don't think it's possible to cry when you're there.
only when youre thirsty i guess.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler looks like an excellent CB this year I admit from the several games I have seen him play... why couldn´t the Packers have drafted him last year in the late rounds... :gaah:

$%&# good undrafted free agent Pats got last year in Butler.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malcolm Butler can play out of his mind sometimes but he does seem to get burnt badly at least once a game. You're not always going to be able to knock the ball loose at the last second all the time.

Same with Ryan.

I like them both and like this defense a lot but against a gunslinger offense like, let's say, the Steelers they could look particularly bad.

I don't know about badly once a game but nobody is perfect.

He held his own in week 1 vs the Steelers.

When he is playing out of his mind he's as good as anybody there is. As Coughlin said, he has very fast hands...

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about badly once a game but nobody is perfect.

He held his own in week 1 vs the Steelers.

When he is playing out of his mind he's as good as anybody there is. As Coughlin said, he has very fast hands...

It just seems that way and yes no one is perfect. What I do like about him a lot is that he does seems fearless and he really does make a lot of good plays. Compared to Revis he is a bargain even if Revis is better.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pat's terrible schedule is going to hurt them in this regard IMO. The article is funny. "The Pat's stopped the vaunted Houston Texan passing game." That isn't that hard to do.

The Pat's have played one good passing offense (the Steelers) and got torched. Other than that the best passing offense they have faced is the Jet's and even in that game it wasn't like NE shut them down by any means as Fitzpatrick went for just under 300 yards and 2 TD's.

The one nice thing is that the Pat's literally might not have to play a good passing offense until the SB. With Dalton going down, there isn't a good offensive team other than if the Steelers find a way thru that they would have to play to get to the SB in the AFC.