• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No More Ties

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my favorite idea that I heard is:

Home team gets ball first ALL the time, back to first score(even FG) wins...

What this does: it makes the end of regulation time more interesting...
I hated that. Not a fair way. Both teams should have a chance. I do like how college has it. No ties in College.

College actually does it the right way. Instead of the 20 maybe they can start 30.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way society seems to be heading, NFL ties will soon be decided with a team dance-off. The NFL will upload video of the dance-off to their Facebook page and let viewers vote for the winner.

Meanwhile, the NFL will make another billion dollars off of the advertisements preceding the video viewership.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there is truth to that though... If everything evolves, then why cant rules evolve too... Problem they face is creating the wrong rules that instead of making the game better it makes it worse, the NFL has gotten some rule changes wrong....

Most things I would agree with you on that. But I like sports in large part because because of their rules and the human element, keep tweeking those and you end up with an unrecognizable product. A change here, a change there.... Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey and soccer do it. Again I was just adding to Wilson Idea. I rather be fair and let both teams battle it out then a coin flip and 1 team kicker kicking it.

Overall i would want them to just keep going like they do in the NBA and MLB.

Soccer does it and I hate it there too. They even do it in championship games.

At least the NHL just allows it's more or less meaningless regular season to be the only thing fucked up by shootouts. When playing for The Cup, they play till somebody scores a real goal.

Last edited:

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with ties. if you just go for win/loss. Some games might go for over a day.

As for shootouts: I find it like Sex. It may seem exciting but in the end. Someone get's fucked and it is usually the viewers

:shocked: So I guess you're an exhibitionist. Different strokes for different folks.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:shocked: So I guess you're an exhibitionist. Different strokes for different folks.

More logical than exhibitionist why are you asking???

But it is true. People thinking shootouts are exciting but there is nothing of that sorts. I have never seen a flashy move work in a shootout

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More logical than exhibitionist why are you asking???

But it is true. People thinking shootouts are exciting but there is nothing of that sorts. I have never seen a flashy move work in a shootout
Really?

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russel Wilson has the answer. He didnt like the game ending in a tie!

Sounds kind of dumb to me though,

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/r...dea-for-breaking-ties-after-ot-204515639.html

Daddy-to-be Russell Wilson wasn’t thrilled to walk off the field after Sunday’s strange 6-6 tie with the Arizona Cardinals. The quarterback thought he and his Seattle Seahawks teammates had played too long for the game to end with no real outcome.

So after the game, Wilson offered his own solution for games that remain tied after the 15-minute sudden death overtime. And it involves one field goal attempt with the entire game on the line.

“Let’s say we’re the away team. We win the coin toss, we get the ball on the 35-yard line going in. You kick one field goal,” Wilson told reporters in Arizona. “You can’t do anything else but a field goal. You make the field goal, the game’s over. If you miss the field goal, the game’s over and the other team wins.”

Seems like kind of an arbitrary way to decide 3+ hours of football, no?

“I just think that if you play that long, you’re putting your lives on the line,” Wilson said. “You should find a way to win. I don’t like ending in a tie.”

I’ll give Wilson this: I don’t like NFL games ending in a tie either.

Now, there haven’t been many since sudden death overtime was instituted in 1974.

Only 21, in fact.

But each of those games mucked up standings and playoff pictures that are usually so easy to decode. And 21 times there were people who invested a lot of their time and money into a product, only to get a result befitting the “other” football (soccer) or an old-school NHL game.

The NFL onfield product is anything but wishy-washy, so why let games end in that way?

Personally, I like two ideas for overtime:

1. Go 7-on-7 after one period of regular overtime. Yeah, players might be too tired at that point to go with this more exciting staple of summer high school leagues. But that’s what they get for not deciding things in 75 minutes of regular play. And considering the NHL’s success with 3-on-3 overtime, it might produce a lot of the same excitement.

2. Adopt college football overtime rules, but start each team on the five-yard-line and eliminate passing and kicking. This basically turns the game into a battle of goal line stands and what’s better in football than a goal line stand? Let’s see which team wants the ‘W’ more.

Of course, if you don’t like either of those suggestions, we could go with something more arbitrary like Wilson’s FG idea or have the mascots fight or have the coaches foot race. (Come to think of it, a foot race between Pete Carroll and Bruce Arians would have been fun.)

Or we could just give a loss to both teams.

With ties, there’s no such thing as a winner.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absofuckinglutely hate fucking with something that is not broken.

Some fucking times you have to kiss your sister.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just go with Kansas style overtime like the NCAA. Problem solved

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ties are pointless. They play to win the game not Tie. Get rid of it. Time to catch up to the other sports.
Nope, leave well enough alone. Plus you said "Just play until someone wins. No reason to have a tie in todays sport." You do know it wasn't all that long ago they did just that and the masses complained.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least there would be a winner and no extra injuries this way. Both parties are happy NFL and the players.
So they play a game of TACKLE Football for 60 minutes, then turn the game over to a couple of kickers? Whold it be like a game of horse?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL needs to change this. I know it only happens every once in awhile but all major sports dont have ties anymore. Recently R. Wilson said after the the Final time in OT there should be 1 Final kick. Who ever wins the coin flip decides if they want to kick for the win from the 35 yard line. That would make it a 52 yard kick.

I am going to take it 1 step further it should be a kick off between the FG kickers just like NHL and Soccer have a shoot out. This way having a good kicker is important.

or

Just play until someone wins. No reason to have a tie in todays sport.

Interesting ...

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only one solution: Lineman relay race

Get the centers, two starting guards, and two starting tackles and have them do a 5 x 100 relay race. If anyone dies, their team forfeits.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only one solution: Lineman relay race

Get the centers, two starting guards, and two starting tackles and have them do a 5 x 100 relay race. If anyone dies, their team forfeits.
Does it have to be the starters? Could a team sign a track star or two and list them as G's?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck that. Ties are awesome.

Only happens once every few years and is a pure joy to watch the complete chaos.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a better idea there Russel, why don't you score more points....Then you wont have to rely on a "tie"

This is it right here. All the "play to win" talk is true except when they didn't play to win, they played to tie in that game the other night.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is it right here. All the "play to win" talk is true except when they didn't play to win, they played to tie in that game the other night.

They did? Obviously, it ended in a tie, but both teams were more aggressive offensively late in that game than they were earlier. I don't think anyone was satisfied with the outcome. They played to win, just couldn't make a kick when they needed it.

Years ago, I think it was Jim Mora Jr when he was in ATL had a late season game that was close to ending in a tie, and the coach called up to the box to ask what the standings were and how much a tie would affect playoff standings. That was playing to tie.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I like two ideas for overtime:

1. Go 7-on-7 after one period of regular overtime. Yeah, players might be too tired at that point to go with this more exciting staple of summer high school leagues. But that’s what they get for not deciding things in 75 minutes of regular play. And considering the NHL’s success with 3-on-3 overtime, it might produce a lot of the same excitement.

I hope that you are completely joking. Otherwise - this is almost a recipe for getting more players injured. As for Russell Wilson - if he doesn't like ties than perhaps he should have figured out a way for his freaking team to score more than 6 pts!