• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes new franchise

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Houston would suffer the same fate as AZ. They'd probably be stuck way out in the suburbs in one of the most heavily sprawled cities in the country. I just don't see the NHL agreeing to let them relocate into a nearly 20 year old arena (long term at least, a short term thing while a new arena is being built would be fine), assuming even that the Rockets would share. And I doubt the city/county ponies up the big bucks for a 2nd arena in the downtown core.

I don't know if things have changes since this article was written in September of 2019 (pre COVID-19 of course), but the Rockets owner seemed interested in bringing a NHL team to Houston at that time.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind of fight *almost* killed Columbus' expansion bid. OSU's president got his panties in a twist because he wanted the ability to veto or change games at the Schottenstein Center at his whim. It's an 18,500 seat arena set on OSU Campus about a quarter mile from the 'shoe. Getting in or out is via 2 2 lane roads. Nightmare getting in and out of. And public transport doesn't go there. You have to go to the edge of campus and use campus transport. That was going to be their home.

Basically, he would have made the Jackets re-schedule any game on Saturdays (can't have hockey using valuable tailgating spaces), and he could also punt the Jackets out if he had something else to use the arena for like a flower show or concert. He wouldn't agree to let the Blue Jackets use their practice rink nearby, either. So Nationwide stepped in and paid for the Arena (having recently bought all the land around it) and got exclusive rights to the name for a few years. Now they sold the arena to the city and pay the Jackets for naming rights. It's worked out well because now the Arena District has tons of housing, entertainment and shopping as well as the arena, a AAA ballpark and the Crew stadium next year. And Schottenstein Center is generally empty. NHL ready arena sits dormant more than 250 days a year.

OSU will never agree to let the Jackets use the Shoe for an outdoor game. So much bad blood. At least the guy who ran OSU at the time is gone now. Maybe the new dude is more accepting. I dunno.
Yeah, I know every team that considers playing in a college owned facility runs into some issues due to the "non profit" aspect of the sports programs too and the fact that they are often owned by some sort of university trust.

Don't remember which team it was off hand (I'm thinking it was the Carolina Panthers, but this was well before I moved to Charlotte, so I could be wrong) that needed to play in a college stadium for a while and they ran into issues because the stadium wasn't equipped for alcohol sales and the NFL (Anheuser Busch probably) was pretty insistent that it be allowed.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if things have changes since this article was written in September of 2019 (pre COVID-19 of course), but the Rockets owner seemed interested in bringing a NHL team to Houston at that time.

Thanks for the article. I don't think I knew the Rockets had a new owner semi-recently who had the desire to bring a team to town. Would certainly make the arena-sharing question easier. They'd only have to negotiate for a large renovation package instead of a whole new building.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Tanenbaum to Gary Bettman this morning: “I know we’re basically financing your entire league at this point but this is a bit beyond that.”

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not Salt Lake City, or even Milwaukee??

I'll field this....

Honestly I think Salt Lake might have the same Issue as Phenoix. Not enough interest and too far to make a blood rival. That is one of the reasons that Seattle has going for them. Their closeness to Vancouver.

Milwaukee is a good suggestion as is KC, Houston or Quebec City.

Yoga . The Coyotes have been a "Political Football" For the NHL for years years, 200? I think and I do appreciate if someone can correct me. It has even been under NHL ownership and I think still is.

Last edited:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a monster!

tenor.gif

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll field this....

Honestly I think Salt Lake might have the same Issue as Phenoix. Not enough interest and too far to make a blood rival. That is one of the reasons that Seattle has going for them. Their closeness to Vancouver.

Milwaukee is a good suggestion as is KC, Houston or Quebec City.

Yoga . The Coyotes have been a "Political Football" For the NHL for years years, 200? I think and I do appreciate if someone can correct me. It has even been under NHL ownership and I think still is.
The "blood rival" issue is predominantly an east coast and upper midwest thing....due to close proximity between cities en sech.
West coast teams are spread farther apart.....Phoenix currently has Vegas, LA & Anaheim as their closest rivals.
Salt Lake City would have Colorado & Vegas.
Maybe Sacramento would be an interesting franchise possibility?
They can be called the Bears (California state mascot)....and their "rivals" would be San Jose, LA, Anaheim & Vegas.
Basically I'm just tossing spaghetti at the wall here to see if it sticks. :hockeysmile:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, another completely different city should work. At least it's not like it's possible to be further away than Glendale.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a gong show the Coyotes have been in the desert - Nobody cares, relocate this team to Houston.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - I started this thread almost 10 years ago and nothing has really changed - The Yotes were a joke then and they're still a joke today.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a gong show the Coyotes have been in the desert - Nobody cares, relocate this team to Houston.

Would be a good rivalry. Houston vs Dallas.

Fuck... Every new years day. Put em in Jerrah world....

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move them to Quebec, I’d love to see the Canadiens-Nordiques rivalry fired back up

As much as I would like to see that, Bettman just got the conferences balanced, no way he would want a 17 - 15 East - West distribution. Besides, the Coyotes have been his pet project, I sure would like to know how much money the league has dumped into that franchise to keep it afloat all these years.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I would like to see that, Bettman just got the conferences balanced, no way he would want a 17 - 15 East - West distribution. Besides, the Coyotes have been his pet project, I sure would like to know how much money the league has dumped into that franchise to keep it afloat all these years.
Wouldn't take much to send the Red Wings or Blue Jackets back to the lesser conference.

Owners are probably going to make Gary give this one up at this point. You can only give a covid patient so much regeneron.