• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NLDS: Los Angeles Dodgers vs. New York Mets

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 1: Friday, Oct. 9 at Dodger Stadium, 6:45 p.m. PT
Game 2: Saturday, Oct. 10 at Dodger Stadium, 6:07 p.m. PT
Game 3: Monday, Oct. 12 at Citi Field, time TBA
Game 4*: Tuesday, Oct. 13 at Citi Field, time TBA
Game 5*: Thursday, Oct. 15 at Dodger Stadium, time TBA
*if necessary

Dodgers vs. Mets: Their regular season meetings

Rough statistical tale-of-the-tape:

Starters
Dodgers: 3.24 ERA, 16.1% K-BB%
Mets: 3.44 ERA, 16.4% K-BB%

Bullpen

Dodgers: 3.91 ERA, 18.5% K-BB%
Mets: 3.48 ERA, 14.4% K-BB%

Batters
Dodgers: .322 wOBA, 106 wRC+, .739 OPS
Mets: .309 wOBA, 99 wRC+, .712 OPS

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need a Mets fan to post a #EyeballTest about the teams' strengths and weaknesses. Basically, the old-fart-sportswriter's take. Intangibles, narratives, etc.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#EyeballTest - Dodgers

Strengths
Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke - They have been referred to as the "two-headed monster" for the Dodgers and they will able to start 4/5 games if deemed necessary, with Kershaw pitching game 4 on short rest and Greinke in game 5 at normal rest.

Youth and flexibilty - Corey Seager is the gem of the young studs on the Dodgers and has been named the starting shortstop over Jimmy Rollins for the playoffs. Other young players who could come up huge are Yasmani Grandal, who has been cold in September, and Joc Pederson who has been cold in the 2nd half in general. Pederson has been better of late, still has a elite on-base skills, and finished the season with a home run in the final game. Kike Hernandez #RallyBanana appears to be back to full strength and can play multiple positions including 2B, SS, and 3B while also available to spell Pederson in CF against left-handed starter if necessary.

Improved bullpen Dodgers bullpen better suited for postseason success

Weaknesses
The starters behind Kershaw and Grienke - Brett Anderson and Alex Wood are both soft-tossing, left-handed worm-killers. If they don't keep the ball in the infield, and if the Dodgers' infield doesn't make quality defensive plays behind them, they have the potential to get creamed.

Strikeouts or no outs - Along with Brett Anderson and Alex Wood, the Dodgers also have JP Howell in the bullpen as the third member of the crafty lefty crew. Outside of those three, the rest of the bullpen is only good as long as they are getting guys to strike out. As shown by the high bullpen ERA, these guys can give up a lot of runs and they often come from the long ball. Big home runs are deadly in the playoffs (or in any game of baseball). It's crucial for the Dodgers bullpen to miss bats.

Miscellanous
Veterans verus Rookies - The Dodgers have a pretty eclectic mix of the two. The kids have already been mentioned, but the Dodgers also boast the infield combination that has turned more double plays than any other duo in MLB history, Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley. In the outfield, the old guys are Andre Ethier and Carl Crawford, who have been been serviceable in limited action this season. Ethier still can't hit lefties, but Justin Ruggiano can. Ruggiano is tied for the team lead in home runs since he joined the club while he's only 10th in plate appearances. AJ Ellis and Yasmani Grandal present an interesting dilemma as well, with Grandal swinging a cold bat and AJ looking to be fighting against retirement for as long as he can while being one of the veteran clubhouse leaders.

The Wild Horse
- Yasiel Puig has missed over 70 games this season with injuries to both hamstrings. He returned to game action on Saturday "miraculously" at 100%. It will be interested to watch and see how much he is used, especially since the Mets have so few lefties. He could very well be a bench piece or less for this series.

Uribear - Today, every Dodger fan and writer breathed a sigh of relief when it was announced that he would not be suiting up for the Mets this round. It's one thing to lose the NLDS, but if it had been at the hands of Juan Uribe, the hearts of the Dodgers team and fanbase would very likely have been shattered. Uribe was easily the most popular player in the clubhouse and we're all still sad to see him gone.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers couldn't have asked for more this year. The Giants faded and 2 of the 3 best NL teams (recordwise) will be eliminated by the NLCS and they get a Mets team who beat a cupcake division.

I like the Dodgers in 4

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a great series! I like the Mets chances should they split the two games in LA. Good luck Dodger fans.

LGM!!!

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no Mets fan but I have watched them quite a few times this yr. When it comes to Oct. we're talking pitching and they have enough of it. Most important tho is this team believes they're better than anyone. If you're a competitor you know confidence , especially now , is key. I will be shocked if the Mets don't beat the Dodgers and beat them without too much trouble.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am certainly ROOTING for the Mets, but I am not sure the Kershaw/Greinke combo can be beaten. If anyone can match the dogs SP for SP, though, it is the Mets.

dogs in 5

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All times PST.

Game 1: Friday, Oct. 9 at Dodger Stadium, 6:45 p.m.
Game 2: Saturday, Oct. 10 at Dodger Stadium, 6:07 p.m.
Game 3: Monday, Oct. 12 at Citi Field, 5:07 p.m. or 5:37 p.m.
Game 4*: Tuesday, Oct. 13 at Citi Field, 5:07 p.m.
Game 5*: Thursday, Oct. 15 at Dodger Stadium, 5:07 p.m.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a tough series to call. Kershaw and Greinke can definitely go out there for three starts total, go deep into the game, and the series is over. But they have no margin for error. If LA can't score, they'll lose. If CK and ZG have no defense, they'll lose. If they can't go 8 with a padded lead, they'll lose.

There is just such a drop off at almost everything besides the dominance of those two, when they have the ball. Everything else is a complete unknown.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's Boogie

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a tough series to call. Kershaw and Greinke can definitely go out there for three starts total, go deep into the game, and the series is over. But they have no margin for error. If CK and ZG have no defense, they'll lose. If they can't go 8 with a padded lead, they'll lose.

There is just such a drop off at almost everything besides the dominance of those two, when they have the ball. Everything else is a complete unknown.
They can go 4 out of 5, actually.

If LA can't score, they'll lose.

Phenomenal.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool, so you're guaranteeing it will go 5?!?
I think CatsTopPac has it called best. I think that the team that manages to score more runs than the other team in 3 of the 5 possible games will move on to the next round.

That's really the important key to winning the series.

Hbomb

Mobile Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,923.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can go 4 out of 5, actually.

Phenomenal.

If it goes 5 they'll both get 2 starts. Kershaw on short rest.

Go Dodgers!!

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Dodgers are terrible on the road with glaring holes in the rotation, so they better win the first two at home otherwise the series won't be coming back to L.A.

Mets work counts and know how to put pressure on pitchers, and have a far superior pen, so Dodgers will need to have 2-3 run leads in order to feel somewhat comfortable. that's a tall order since Dodgers have been horrid on offense since the all star break. they don't even *attempt* to do any of the little things on offense to manufacture runs - work counts, bunt for hits, sacrifice runners, or steal. as a result, opposing pitchers generally feel pretty comfortable against their line up. they swing for the fences, that's about it.

Mets the much better road team, but will most likely need to beat Kershaw once in L.A. to win the series. that's not asking too much though since Kershaw owns one of the worst postseason ERA's as a starter in MLB history. he's been nothing short of a disaster and a borderline headcase when it matters the most.

Collins gets a bad rap at times, but is still far better than Mattingly. i'm rooting for the Dodgers in this one, but i won't be the least bit surprised if they stink up the joint. at least if that happens, the club can finally fire Mattingly and his pathetic staff, including that worthless fraud McGwire.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think CatsTopPac has it called best. I think that the team that manages to score more runs than the other team in 3 of the 5 possible games will move on to the next round.

That's really the important key to winning the series.

What would we do without his expert analysis?