• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NLDS: Dodgers vs Padres

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why did Manfred pass down the biggest sanctions against a single team in MLB history if the Astros were simply "using information"?

You don't believe what you are saying and you know it. The Astros cheated to win and will always be known for that. It will never go away and hopefully, the next commissioner removes the title from Houston.

In 2001, MLB issued a memorandum banning the use of electronic equipment to communicate during the game...especially for sign stealing. Those are the rules black and white, and the Astros knew it and broke it.

If an MLB batter knows the incoming pitch, he is much more likely to have success in actually hitting the ball. That is the purpose of breaking balls; it keeps the hitter off balance. If a batter knows a fastball is coming, he knows he must react quicker than if a breaking ball or change-up is coming. If they know a breaking pitch is coming, they delay the swing obviously.

Nobody agrees with what you are saying and the mental gymnastics you are doing. The shift was used by any and all teams....it was a level playing field. The Astros were using electronic equipment to their advantage, no other team was doing that at the time. Cora brought it over to the Red Sox and Beltran was probably going to do the same with the Mets.

FYI, the shift will be banned in 2023.

If you are truly an Ole Miss fan, then you must be used to supporting cheaters. Surely you know Hugh Freeze was one of the greatest NCAA football cheaters in the past 30 years. Freeze vacated 27 wins due to violating recruiting and academic violations. WOW.....

Answer two simple question...

How long have catchers been giving multiple signs to the pitcher?

Do you know why?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree with all this, though you'd have to admit you have the benefit of hindsight. I agree on Gonsolin. Perhaps the only explanation there is that May was the one Dodger pitcher the Padres hit well this year.

And as much as the Fox announcers talked about their inability to get a hit with RISP, the Padres were just as ineffective. I think at some point in game 4 the announcer mentioned that both teams were an identical 3 for 26 in the series.

Dodgers will be fine. But they need to have 2-3 starters that go deep in games so they don't overstress their pen. That was a huge issue. Good chance Dodgers win game 4 if they let Anderson go until he got into some trouble. Massive error IMO, again with hindsight, but the Padres couldn't touch him.
One last thing, Roberts was an idiot for saying the Dodgers were going to win the 2022 World Series in the offseason. Players might do that crap but a manager should never be that arrogant. It was uncalled for and absurd.

Friedman today claimed he had no "regrets" about not trading at the deadline. What a pompous buffon. It took SD one trade deadline to get the firepower to beat the Dodgers. Of course he has regrets!!

Roberts and Friedman need to get humble and stay that way. Enough with the machismo and arrogance. The Dodgers didn't make it out of the Division series so it is back to the drawing board. Cut the boasting and swagger and learn from your mistakes.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last thing, Roberts was an idiot for saying the Dodgers were going to win the 2022 World Series in the offseason. Players might do that crap but a manager should never be that arrogant. It was uncalled for and absurd.

Friedman today claimed he had no "regrets" about not trading at the deadline. What a pompous buffon. It took SD one trade deadline to get the firepower to beat the Dodgers. Of course he has regrets!!

Roberts and Friedman need to get humble and stay that way. Enough with the machismo and arrogance. The Dodgers didn't make it out of the Division series so it is back to the drawing board. Cut the boasting and swagger and learn from your mistakes.
Just look at yesterday. Padres win 8-5; Drury, Bell, and Soto had 6 RBIs. Hader had the save and looks unhittable. All deadline pickups.

Yeah it's one game but Preller had to be smiling.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not hating on the Padres. I'm glad they won. However, I hope that the Padres and Phillies upsets serves as a cautionary tale that we shouldn't expand the playoff field any further. It's bad enough that a team who proved to be superior over 162 games is bounced out after 3 losses, but what would really be terrible is if a team with a losing regular season record were to win the World Series. This could possibly happen if they keep expanding the field.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not hating on the Padres. I'm glad they won. However, I hope that the Padres and Phillies upsets serves as a cautionary tale that we shouldn't expand the playoff field any further. It's bad enough that a team who proved to be superior over 162 games is bounced out after 3 losses, but what would really be terrible is if a team with a losing regular season record were to win the World Series. This could possibly happen if they keep expanding the field.
Counterargument of course is that the season is far too long to only have 4 playoff teams in each league. I like the new format, though I agree they shouldn't go any further.

Teams with win totals in the high 80s making the playoffs was a very common occurrence before this year.

When I grew up you had 4 divisions - 2 NL and 2 AL. Four teams made the playoffs. If your team was 15 games out in August your season was over. This is a much better system.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Counterargument of course is that the season is far too long to only have 4 playoff teams in each league. I like the new format, though I agree they shouldn't go any further.

Teams with win totals in the high 80s making the playoffs was a very common occurrence before this year.

When I grew up you had 4 divisions - 2 NL and 2 AL. Four teams made the playoffs. If your team was 15 games out in August your season was over. This is a much better system.
That’s why I liked the 5-team format. 3 winners are “in”. 2 other teams get a “chance” to be “in”. Playing a 1-game all-or-nothing was EPIC, and it didn’t make the other teams sit around and get rusty.

My only changes to the old system would have been…

1) the Wildcard game would have been considered a regular season game.
2) the #1 seed would have had a 2-1-2 HFA in the LDS over the WC team.

These two changes would have made it so the WC loser didn’t get credit for making the playoffs, and support the argument that the WC system was there just to give the non-division-winners a CHANCE to make the playoffs. Further, the 2-1-2 HFA would have a) given an incentive to get the #1 seed, and further complicate the road for the WC team. Allowing 1/3 of the league into the “playoffs” is still a bit high, imho, but only having 3 teams isn’t very feasible, so I am OK with the WC game format.