• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL Wild Card Game STL Cardinals vs LA Dodgers

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happens so rarely, it should be considered what it is.. An outlier.

The Giants won the Division and won the season series against the doggies. They are not (and should not) be afraid of the doggies.

I agree. I just believe in being fair. I also think it sucks that we don't get to see them in a best of 7 with a trip to the world series on the line. Instead we get to see the winner mop the floor with the winner of brewers/braves

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I just believe in being fair. I also think it sucks that we don't get to see them in a best of 7 with a trip to the world series on the line. Instead we get to see the winner mop the floor with the winner of brewers/braves
Brewers have as good a shot as the Giants or Dodgers to advance though

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reyes was the last pitcher I expected in that situation.

I was thinking Flaherty or Hudson. When Gallegos pitched the 8th I was convinced Flaherty would pitch the 9th.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point of the playoffs in every sport is to have the best 2 in the league/conference meet in conference finals/finals of their sport.

I do like that only 10 teams make the playoffs in baseball, and you can arguably say that only 8 teams make the real playoffs if we don't count the wild card games. This is something that baseball gets right compared to the NFL and NBA. A team with a losing record can make the playoffs in the NFL and NBA, and it's actually a common occurrence in the NBA. I don't believe this has ever happened in MLB.

Maybe it's not the perfect system that the Dodgers and Giants are playing in the NLDS, but MLB has the best playoff system of the major American sports leagues.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reyes was the last pitcher I expected in that situation.

I was thinking Flaherty or Hudson. When Gallegos pitched the 8th I was convinced Flaherty would pitch the 9th.

Too bad that Alex Reyes's last month of relief appearances failed to convince Shildt that he shouldn't be used unless absolutely necessary.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like that only 10 teams make the playoffs in baseball, and you can arguably say that only 8 teams make the real playoffs if we don't count the wild card games. This is something that baseball gets right compared to the NFL and NBA. A team with a losing record can make the playoffs in the NFL and NBA, and it's actually a common occurrence in the NBA. I don't believe this has ever happened in MLB.

Maybe it's not the perfect system that the Dodgers and Giants are playing in the NLDS, but MLB has the best playoff system of the major American sports leagues.
Unfortunately, baseball playoffs will likely be expanded to 16 by as early as next year. That’s more than half the fucking league. it will completely nullify the regular season.

IMHO, baseball is great because the regular season and the postseason are compleatly different. The regular season is a marathon and the postseason is a full out sprint. A 5th starter is important. The 7th reliever is important. Heck, the 8th starter and 15th reliever are important. In the postseason, the 5th starter might make the roster, but even then, likely only as a swing man. And the backup position players are much less important (granted, the direction the game is going, some of this may not be applicable anymore).

Minimizing the 162 game regular season is going to cause the game to disappear almost completely during the summer months. A single game will mean next to nothing to the “good” teams.

Gawd, I hate Manfred. As bad as Selig was, I don’t think anyone questions his love for the game. He was a baseball man in the business world. I question if Manfred even followed baseball as a kid. He is 100% business. He couldn’t give a shit what widget he is trying to sell.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, baseball playoffs will likely be expanded to 16 by as early as next year. That’s more than half the fucking league. it will completely nullify the regular season.

IMHO, baseball is great because the regular season and the postseason are compleatly different. The regular season is a marathon and the postseason is a full out sprint. A 5th starter is important. The 7th reliever is important. Heck, the 8th starter and 15th reliever are important. In the postseason, the 5th starter might make the roster, but even then, likely only as a swing man. And the backup position players are much less important (granted, the direction the game is going, some of this may not be applicable anymore).

Minimizing the 162 game regular season is going to cause the game to disappear almost completely during the summer months. A single game will mean next to nothing to the “good” teams.

Gawd, I hate Manfred. As bad as Selig was, I don’t think anyone questions his love for the game. He was a baseball man in the business world. I question if Manfred even followed baseball as a kid. He is 100% business. He couldn’t give a shit what widget he is trying to sell.

Yeah, 16 teams will be awful. I can't wait for a team with a losing record to win the World Series! Oh well, I guess it will mitigate the advantage that the big payroll teams have. Such teams will have to get through more rounds to get to the World Series. Also, a lesser team with less pitching depth can sneak into the playoffs despite not having that many good starting pitchers. If that team has a dominant starting pitcher or two and their bats get hot in the playoffs, they could eliminate a team like the Dodgers.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happens so rarely, it should be considered what it is.. An outlier.

The Giants won the Division and won the season series against the doggies. They are not (and should not) be afraid of the doggies.

Afraid?

No.

But they won both by 1 game. They should definitely be far more afraid of the Dodgers than anyone else in baseball.

And that’s the point. They won the division and have to immediately play the best team available.

Hey, If that’s what you want all the power to ya. It’s still a stupid fucking rule

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 16 teams will be awful. I can't wait for a team with a losing record to win the World Series! Oh well, I guess it will mitigate the advantage that the big payroll teams have. Such teams will have to get through more rounds to get to the World Series. Also, a lesser team with less pitching depth can sneak into the playoffs despite not having that many good starting pitchers. If that team has a dominant starting pitcher or two and their bats get hot in the playoffs, they could eliminate a team like the Dodgers.
Well the Dodgers are 1 for 1 in that expanded format

They are currently 0 for about 7 in the regular one

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Afraid?

No.

But they won both by 1 game. They should definitely be far more afraid of the Dodgers than anyone else in baseball.

And that’s the point. They won the division and have to immediately play the best team available.

Hey, If that’s what you want all the power to ya. It’s still a stupid fucking rule
The doggies are the WC team. They should face the hardest road possible.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The doggies are the WC team. They should face the hardest road possible.

And the Giants are the best team in baseball they should face the easiest road possible.

It contradicts either way.

Logically speaking 107 should not play 106. When there’s a goddamn 88 win team in the same league

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For about one more year. They're gonna expand 'em.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Giants are the best team in baseball they should face the easiest road possible.

It contradicts either way.

Logically speaking 107 should not play 106. When there’s a goddamn 88 win team in the same league
I understand your argument. I just place a LOT on winning your division. And because of the unbalanced schedule, you can’t put too much into record.

And again, this is an outlier. No need to blow it up to account for the outlier.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your argument. I just place a LOT on winning your division. And because of the unbalanced schedule, you can’t put too much into record.

And again, this is an outlier. No need to blow it up to account for the outlier.

Yeah I just don’t view that as blowing it up tho. It’s a minor extremely logical tweak that keeps emphasis still on winning your division.

Basically if you do what me and BKS are proposing. Everyone gets what they deserve.

1 seed plays the worst team left.

The Wildcard team doesn’t get any homefield advantage.

Right now. To punish the Dodgers you also punish the Giants.

If the WC team won more games than the worst division winner. They get the 3 spot and still play on the road.

There is still weight to winning your division(you avoid WC game and have the chance to have homefield which has always been record dependent anyways).

Giants should absolutely be playing the shitty Braves.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I just don’t view that as blowing it up tho. It’s a minor extremely logical tweak that keeps emphasis still on winning your division.

Basically if you do what me and BKS are proposing. Everyone gets what they deserve.

1 seed plays the worst team left.

The Wildcard team doesn’t get any homefield advantage.

Right now. To punish the Dodgers you also punish the Giants.

If the WC team won more games than the worst division winner. They get the 3 spot and still play on the road.

There is still weight to winning your division(you avoid WC game and have the chance to have homefield which has always been record dependent anyways).

Giants should absolutely be playing the shitty Braves.
If you keep the seeding as-is, but make the 1vWC series a 2-1-2, that solves everything while keeping the integrity of the Division winners.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird to see Giants fans talking about the integrity of divisions. It's way more interesting to give the wild card teams a shot because playoff baseball is a different animal.

It doesn't matter how many games you win in the regular season was literally your sig, cal. C'mon man.