• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL West

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like these players, but Susac and Duffy are currently backups. Considering them part of the core is either a sign of the lack of core or over-stating their importance.

That said, they DO speak to our young depth. While the Giants are a little top-lite (no LF, no 3B, questionable CF) they have the supporting cast to hopefully overcome some of that (Blanco, Duffy, Susac, Arias, EA). IMHO, JCP is a 5th OF, pure and simple.
The way things are looking, Perez just might get his shot in LF this year. I'm interested to see what he does. I also like Duffy's approach at the plate, but its a shame that there is no spot for Susac, he looks like a pro.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kemp deal appears to be staggering. He reportedly failed his physical with the Pads...
Nope, looks like its a done deal now. Severe arthritis in both hips does not sound good though.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And now they got Upton as well. Geez the Padres are going to be tough. He was available and would have been the big right handed bat to play left field that the Giants needed. I can't believe the Giants didn't try to get him and since the Padres didn't take Johnson I guess the Giants excuse that they had to take Johnson to get Upton was another bullshit story to appease the fans.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now they got Upton as well. Geez the Padres are going to be tough. He was available and would have been the big right handed bat to play left field that the Giants needed. I can't believe the Giants didn't try to get him and since the Padres didn't take Johnson I guess the Giants excuse that they had to take Johnson to get Upton was another bullshit story to appease the fans.

:L

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres sent Dustin Peterson and Mallex Smith to Atlanta in the deal. The Giants don't have any real comparables in their system.

Smith looks like a better, younger Gary Brown. He came out of JC in the '12 draft as a 5th rounder and put up some what consistent numbers over 3 seasons. He had 88 SB in '14 while putting up a .310/.403/.432/.834. Based on these numbers, he would have been our #1 OF prospect.

Peterson was a 2nd rounder in '13. His numbers have not been great yet, but he was taken out if HS. Further, he plays 3B, which as stated a lot this off season, is an MLB wasteland right now.

I figure it would have cost the Giants Arroyo and Williamson PLUS to get a guy who has publicly said in the past that he does not want to play for the Giants for one year.

Lots of warts there...

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, because the team that runs the Giants are known for bullshitting fans and screwing them over and delivering a mediocre product. That's why they can't get any fans to come out. If only the team was committed to winning.

Thanks for the deep insight per usual, we're all pretty convinced you know your stuff.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still wondering if Scherzer or Shields are our main targets anyway. Perhaps they platoon Perez and Ishikawa and re-evaluate the position at the deadline. It's not like that strategy has not paid off in the past at other positions.

3B still concerns me, but this Front Office has won my patience and they have proven they know what they are doing....so it it a case of wait and see.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still wondering if Scherzer or Shields are our main targets anyway. Perhaps they platoon Perez and Ishikawa and re-evaluate the position at the deadline. It's not like that strategy has not paid off in the past at other positions.

3B still concerns me, but this Front Office has won my patience and they have proven they know what they are doing....so it it a case of wait and see.

I think the Peavy deal solidifies the fact that they are out on Shields and Scherzer. As has been stated, that are not going to go into ST with Timmeh penciled in as a bully arm. And he means too much to the org to DFA, so that is not an option.

I still would not be surprised to see a trade, but I do not see any trades that dramatically improve our chances (outside MAYBE Longoria).

As it is, while the other teams in the West have been loud, I am not convinced any of the activity has been CLEARLY improvements for the dogs and Pads.

Kemp and Myers are injury risks. Middlebrooks was so good that the RedSox had to replace him in the off season. The Padres now have a crowded OF with 4 or 5 starters. How will that situation play out in a small market?

The dogs did a lot of shuffling, but it is not clear that the product on the field has improved. Gordon, Ramirez and Kemp are gone. Will Rollins, Morales and a cleared up OF picture off-set that?

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If fans want to be upset at lack of activity. Blame can't really go on FA lack of a activity as mentioned several times above. FO went hard after Lester, Sandoval and Tomas. Just fell short and for reasons out of their control.

Look to the farm system/scouting department. We have an average farm system with top prospects like Crick that had a "meh" year, didn't take the next step. Joe Panik was nice for us but we still don't know what he is, could be just an average player and his first experience was a fluke. Duffy might be a bench guy. We didn't have the type of farm system to acquire Upton or Kemp or Myers

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't you even a little upset that the Giants keep squandering excellent options for the circumstances they currently find themselves in? I'm getting pissed as all these opportunities go by the wayside.

At least the rotation is settled now. Its not who I wanted but we can at least quit kidding ourselves that Scherzer or Shields will be signed now that Peavey is back in the fold.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If fans want to be upset at lack of activity. Blame can't really go on FA lack of a activity as mentioned several times above. FO went hard after Lester, Sandoval and Tomas. Just fell short and for reasons out of their control.

Look to the farm system/scouting department. We have an average farm system with top prospects like Crick that had a "meh" year, didn't take the next step. Joe Panik was nice for us but we still don't know what he is, could be just an average player and his first experience was a fluke. Duffy might be a bench guy. We didn't have the type of farm system to acquire Upton or Kemp or Myers

Sounds to me that the Padres got Upton for a couple of nobodys. And they didn't have to take Johnson.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Peavy deal solidifies the fact that they are out on Shields and Scherzer. As has been stated, that are not going to go into ST with Timmeh penciled in as a bully arm. And he means too much to the org to DFA, so that is not an option.

I still would not be surprised to see a trade, but I do not see any trades that dramatically improve our chances (outside MAYBE Longoria).

As it is, while the other teams in the West have been loud, I am not convinced any of the activity has been CLEARLY improvements for the dogs and Pads.

Kemp and Myers are injury risks. Middlebrooks was so good that the RedSox had to replace him in the off season. The Padres now have a crowded OF with 4 or 5 starters. How will that situation play out in a small market?

The dogs did a lot of shuffling, but it is not clear that the product on the field has improved. Gordon, Ramirez and Kemp are gone. Will Rollins, Morales and a cleared up OF picture off-set that?

What??? Upton, Kemp, Norris, Myers and Hanigan don't significantly improve the worst offense in baseball? Dude, I'm sorry, but Come on!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tread lightly.

But yes, all valid points. Whereas a year ago today, the Giants had a wealth of pitching prospects coming off great seasons, or surrounded by mystery (in a good way), this year most of these prospects have lost their appeal from a year ago. They'd be selling low on them.

Another factor for the Padres, they have a new GM in and he's trading all the old regime's prospects and will stockpile his own.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tread lightly.

But yes, all valid points. Whereas a year ago today, the Giants had a wealth of pitching prospects coming off great seasons, or surrounded by mystery (in a good way), this year most of these prospects have lost their appeal from a year ago. They'd be selling low on them.

Another factor for the Padres, they have a new GM in and he's trading all the old regime's prospects and will stockpile his own.

Tomas we could have offered more money.

But with Lester and Sandoval. They were out of our control in bringing back. Sandoval wanted to leave and Lester wanted to pitch for the Cubs. Nothing you can do about those two

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think we are really in on those guy to begin with, but I wouldn't say this knocks us out. One of the beat writers had a good quote. Went something like: "Giants prefer to negotiate from a position of strength. Peavy gives them that, they are not in a desperate situation". While this doesn't matter for top level guys, I still think it puts us in the running for a lower tier SP on a good deal.

Sabean has said that the best options are going to come from trade. Which trades, we'll see, But I agree, at least one trade is coming.

I really like what the Pads have done, they've added 4 ML hitters to a minor league lineup....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because the team that runs the Giants are known for bullshitting fans and screwing them over and delivering a mediocre product. That's why they can't get any fans to come out. If only the team was committed to winning.

Thanks for the deep insight per usual, we're all pretty convinced you know your stuff.

Another screen name, another pwnage. GP would be proud.