• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL Central thread

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An unexpected series win against the Cubs with 2 shut outs in a row. They were not able to win the series against the White Sox but was nice to get this one. With a 1-7 record against them previous to that it was good to see. A defensive mistake in the 8th inning in the lost game allowed the game to get tied then losing in extra innings so a sweep was so damn close but yes it feels good.

It appears that your Brewers are going to be battling with the Cubs for the top spot in the NL Central all season long. My Cardinals have missed a chance to gain a lot of ground playing three straight series in the softest part of their schedule against the Marlins, Reds, and Padres and going about .500 but the cupcakes are over with the Cubs coming to town on Friday night to begin a weekend series.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG the Pirates have knocked Greinke out of the game! His 4 2/3 innings pitched is his shortest of the season.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An unexpected series win against the Cubs with 2 shut outs in a row. They were not able to win the series against the White Sox but was nice to get this one. With a 1-7 record against them previous to that it was good to see. A defensive mistake in the 8th inning in the lost game allowed the game to get tied then losing in extra innings so a sweep was so damn close but yes it feels good.
Not going to lie, it hurts not getting out this series with the brew crew with the lead in the nl central. I’d still bet money the Cubs end up on top, but this series loss still stings a bit.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that your Brewers are going to be battling with the Cubs for the top spot in the NL Central all season long. My Cardinals have missed a chance to gain a lot of ground playing three straight series in the softest part of their schedule against the Marlins, Reds, and Padres and going about .500 but the cupcakes are over with the Cubs coming to town on Friday night to begin a weekend series.

in fact

In fact, the next 23 games for STL are against teams with records over .500. I am afraid, unless is a dramatic change, that the Birds will be 10 games below .500 after this stretch. Thanks to No for constructing such a powerhouse offfense and a lights out bull pen. I saw where Holland blew a safe against an AA team, allowing 3 runs in the 9th inning. UGH!!!!!!!!

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in fact

In fact, the next 23 games for STL are against teams with records over .500. I am afraid, unless is a dramatic change, that the Birds will be 10 games below .500 after this stretch. Thanks to No for constructing such a powerhouse offfense and a lights out bull pen. I saw where Holland blew a safe against an AA team, allowing 3 runs in the 9th inning. UGH!!!!!!!!

Hey Buddy, You are spot on with your analysis! We lose 2 out of 3 to the Marlins, we win 2 out of 3 against the Reds, and we lose 2 out of 3 to the Padres which according to my math is 4 wins and 5 loses, and this is against the most soft part of our entire schedule. When we can't beat the cupcakes how can we expect to beat the contenders with the current product that we are putting on the field night after night? Matheny stuck with Holland way too long to get us into this mess to begin with and it only got worse after that. Yes I'm venting but thanks for listening.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Pirates have a long homestand. The Reds, have given my Pirates fits recently. We need to sweep this series.

MikeMed

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,090.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to lie, it hurts not getting out this series with the brew crew with the lead in the nl central. I’d still bet money the Cubs end up on top, but this series loss still stings a bit.

I was thrilled to take 2 out of 3 from the Cubs..........Im going to enjoy the ride while it lasts as I cannot figure out how our starting pitchers are keeping us in games.......Our bullpen can lock down anybody and our offense is capable of scoring a lot of runs on anybody..........But you need really good starting pitching to win a division these days and the Brewers are lacking 1 or 2 good starters.......I hope they keep grinding and keeping games close but its only a matter of time that a couple of them fall apart as some of these guys just dont have great stuff.

I hope I am wrong but I am enjoying this ride and great baseball while I can.

GO Brew-Crew.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thrilled to take 2 out of 3 from the Cubs..........Im going to enjoy the ride while it lasts as I cannot figure out how our starting pitchers are keeping us in games.......Our bullpen can lock down anybody and our offense is capable of scoring a lot of runs on anybody..........But you need really good starting pitching to win a division these days and the Brewers are lacking 1 or 2 good starters.......I hope they keep grinding and keeping games close but its only a matter of time that a couple of them fall apart as some of these guys just dont have great stuff.

I hope I am wrong but I am enjoying this ride and great baseball while I can.

GO Brew-Crew.

MikeMed, Your Brew-Crew is certainly playing well so far this season, that's for sure! Your good bullpen is what my Cardinals lack the most this season as I can't begin to count how many games my redbirds have lost this season when leading after 5 or 6 innings.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious watching this division unfold. I think all three of the contenders are in position to power up their rosters. Looking at the fact that over half of MLB rosters are in sell mode, if there are prospects, there will be trades.
This winter is a big free agent season. Pitchers will bring premium trades without guarantees. Stop complaining if you are 5 out in the lost column in June. Holy shit 110 games left. Once in awhile you don't get to sweep the Reds.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious watching this division unfold. I think all three of the contenders are in position to power up their rosters. Looking at the fact that over half of MLB rosters are in sell mode, if there are prospects, there will be trades.
This winter is a big free agent season. Pitchers will bring premium trades without guarantees. Stop complaining if you are 5 out in the lost column in June. Holy shit 110 games left. Once in awhile you don't get to sweep the Reds.
I don't know if complaining is the right word but the Cardinals have been pretty disappointing across the board outside of Ozuna. The Cardinals are 9th in payroll and look like a team thats 20th in payroll because of where a lot of that money went to.

I do think they can get back into the race if they put it together but imo while the hitting had been underachieving, the pitching was maybe overachieving and I'm not sure they have enough of either to make a race out of this.

Its still early, though.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if complaining is the right word but the Cardinals have been pretty disappointing across the board outside of Ozuna. The Cardinals are 9th in payroll and look like a team thats 20th in payroll because of where a lot of that money went to.

I do think they can get back into the race if they put it together but imo while the hitting had been underachieving, the pitching was maybe overachieving and I'm not sure they have enough of either to make a race out of this.

Its still early, though.
Well, some years you don't get it done. But the alternatives are rebuilds or reloads. The season is long.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, some years you don't get it done. But the alternatives are rebuilds or reloads. The season is long.
This is true. It just seems like the proven winning strategy right now in MLB is full-on tanking, rebuilding for at least 2 years and then going all-in and winning. The Cardinals are trying to improve without tanking and they're getting the same result as the last two seasons.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. It just seems like the proven winning strategy right now in MLB is full-on tanking, rebuilding for at least 2 years and then going all-in and winning. The Cardinals are trying to improve without tanking and they're getting the same result as the last two seasons.
Currently their chief opposition is in position to sustain that success so moving forward, who knows how to approach roster and payroll. Cubs won't be rebuilding soon and I think Milw. is positioned to contend for a couple of years.

I don't like where MLB is headed now and a whole lot of fans are getting screwed. Do we really want the Yanks and Red Sox to win 200 games and pretend the world stops at the state line in Pennsylvania?

Positioning for post season is viable strategy and St. L appears to be on that.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its still early, though.
Matt Carpenter had a tough day at first base yesterday. That one ball had such crazy spin on it!

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's kind of an issue with many fans. MLB is about who spends the most for a couple years, then you get to suck for a while, hope you can get some young talent, the spend big...wash, rinse and repeat. No more of guys staying together, 3 or 4 key guys, and keeping a team competitive for 5 to 10 years.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

John, How have you been doing?

I know it's a long season and I hope you're right about three contenders but it sure is looking more and more like there are only two contenders.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton, Great point about our Cardinals!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's kind of an issue with many fans. MLB is about who spends the most for a couple years, then you get to suck for a while, hope you can get some young talent, the spend big...wash, rinse and repeat. No more of guys staying together, 3 or 4 key guys, and keeping a team competitive for 5 to 10 years.
Its an issue but its not any worse than the other sports and certainly better than the NBA.

I think you do can build around 3 or 4 key guys but I think they're all starting pitchers in today's game and maybe you trade 1 of them away to fill in some other void.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs will be in first place tonight...

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually quite shocked to see how badly KC has fallen. It is time for MLB to have a minimum floor cap to keep
teams from tanking for 4-5 years.