• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners waive Chris Harper

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Delanie Walker or not, with Davis and McDonald at TE there was just no room for him. I don't know what the coaches/GM were thinking on that one.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a loss really. Kind of wish Celek was gone instead tho.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on who was activated to take his place on the 53?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they pumped him for all the Seattle info he had and so they cut him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Delanie Walker or not, with Davis and McDonald at TE there was just no room for him. I don't know what the coaches/GM were thinking on that one.

They were thinking that he's a big, physical wideout with good movement skills for his size who could feasibly convert to the Swiss army knife role Walker played.

I would much rather keep Harper and give him more time to develop and instead cut Moore. Moore is just a drain on a roster spot right now. He has more rushing yards than receiving yards, and only two more touches and 15 more yards than Harper despite three years of NFL experience. Hopefully Seattle doesn't reclaim Harper given their short week and we can get him to the PS.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were thinking that he's a big, physical wideout with good movement skills for his size who could feasibly convert to the Swiss army knife role Walker played.

I would much rather keep Harper and give him more time to develop and instead cut Moore. Moore is just a drain on a roster spot right now. He has more rushing yards than receiving yards, and only two more touches and 15 more yards than Harper despite three years of NFL experience. Hopefully Seattle doesn't reclaim Harper given their short week and we can get him to the PS.

Don't worry, they'll cut Moore when Manningham is ready to come back.

I think Harper was just first on the block because they need to trim other positions to activate defensive linemen since that position is pretty banged up at the moment.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After all said and done we have to release four more players right? Wright, Tank, Manningham, and Crabtree coming back. Also i know its not your words but i hate hearing them say Swiss army knife.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They probably strategically released him right now w/ the Sea game tonight.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasting a roster spot on a tweener who you THINK and MIGHT develop into an ALRIGHT role player isn't worth it, sorry.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
None yet probably be dial or Purcell

if it is Dial fine, but i'd be very surprised........at least surprised at first reading it. we all have high hopes for Dial, but right now this week..................hmmm

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wasting a roster spot on a tweener who you THINK and MIGHT develop into an ALRIGHT role player isn't worth it, sorry.

I wouldn't consider that wasting. It's keeping a player with some upside on your roster. Look, we've got a pretty stacked roster, and some cuts will be painful. I get that. I'm just saying Harper wouldn't have been my first choice. Among the receivers, I would have cut Moore first. By the time we're ready to activate the DL, Dorsey might be healthy, so we could move Purcell back to the PS (assuming that's who we activate), and possibly hold onto Harper.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

just a general comment, not only to Harper................

Coaches can't know who WILL pan out with just OTA, TC, and Pre-Season? even for a player who's been "hanging around" NFL teams, they can't know FOR SURE in every single case before they sign him? sometimes you have to let them play in YOUR system, to see if they fit better than the previous team?

so wouldn't some guys always fall into that "they THINK he'll develop" category?

this isn't a good example but one everyone will recognize the gist, say the 49ers kept Lawrence Okoye around, cause they THINK he MIGHT develop into a DE?

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a waste if another team picks him up off waivers(very doubtful). I think he goes onto the PS.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the hindsight 20/20 thing it is frustrating that the team kept BJ Daniels and Harper instead of Cooper, but the reality is we'd have no idea why they kept Cooper if he was still a 49er. As it stands now he wouldn't have played ahead of Brown, Rogers, Asomugha, Brock, and maybe even Cox. Truth is, they might have even cut Cooper to activate Easy E. So we'd still be without Cooper (maybe)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we fans expect the GM to continually improve the team, so find it hard to be TOO mad at Baalke for players going in and out? no doubt there is a limit to being wrong (cap implications), and he might be at it now, but he has to keep TRYING.

granted, odds are low we find this fantastic player, but Baalke can't just sit back.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't consider that wasting. It's keeping a player with some upside on your roster. Look, we've got a pretty stacked roster, and some cuts will be painful. I get that. I'm just saying Harper wouldn't have been my first choice. Among the receivers, I would have cut Moore first. By the time we're ready to activate the DL, Dorsey might be healthy, so we could move Purcell back to the PS (assuming that's who we activate), and possibly hold onto Harper.

Meh. It's a wash between he and Moore. Moore will probably be gone soon as well. It's won't really matter in the grand scheme of things which goes quicker.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone once told me that Harper was going to suit up for us.... hmmm oh well.......

stupid move in the first place....