• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners set NFL record in win against Bills

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers are first team in history to run and pass for more than 300 yards in single game

"On Sunday, the San Francisco 49ers became the first team in NFL history to have more than 300 yards rushing and passing in the same game.

Alex Smith passed for 303 yards and a combination of Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and others ran for 311 more in the Niners' 45-3 victory over the Buffalo Bills.

If "first time in NFL history" didn't provide the proper perspective, maybe these five stats will help:

• No team rushed for more than 300 yards in a single game last season. Only two teams did it in 2010. In the past two decades, the team 300-yard rushing barrier has been surpassed 26 times.

• San Francisco's 621 yards is tied for the 15th-highest total in league history. The 1951 Los Angeles Rams have the record with a 722-yard game against the New York Yanks. The 49ers total is the fourth highest in the past 30 years.

• Prior to Sunday, Alex Smith had thrown for over 300 yards in a game just twice in his career. It took him until his 38th start to accomplish the feat.

• Last week agains the New England Patriots, the Bills became the second team in NFL history to allow a 300-yard passer, two 100-yard receivers and two 100-yard rushers. The team is the first since that infamous early-1950s New York Yanks defense to allow more than 550 yards in back-to-back games.

• The last time a team had more than 275 yards passing and rushing in the same game was in 1988 when the Washington Redskins threw for 322 and rushed for 280 in Super Bowl XXII."

:first:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers are first team in history to run and pass for more than 300 yards in single game

"On Sunday, the San Francisco 49ers became the first team in NFL history to have more than 300 yards rushing and passing in the same game.

Alex Smith passed for 303 yards and a combination of Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and others ran for 311 more in the Niners' 45-3 victory over the Buffalo Bills.

If "first time in NFL history" didn't provide the proper perspective, maybe these five stats will help:

• No team rushed for more than 300 yards in a single game last season. Only two teams did it in 2010. In the past two decades, the team 300-yard rushing barrier has been surpassed 26 times.

• San Francisco's 621 yards is tied for the 15th-highest total in league history. The 1951 Los Angeles Rams have the record with a 722-yard game against the New York Yanks. The 49ers total is the fourth highest in the past 30 years.

Prior to Sunday, Alex Smith had thrown for over 300 yards in a game just twice in his career. It took him until his 38th start to accomplish the feat.

• Last week agains the New England Patriots, the Bills became the second team in NFL history to allow a 300-yard passer, two 100-yard receivers and two 100-yard rushers. The team is the first since that infamous early-1950s New York Yanks defense to allow more than 550 yards in back-to-back games.

• The last time a team had more than 275 yards passing and rushing in the same game was in 1988 when the Washington Redskins threw for 322 and rushed for 280 in Super Bowl XXII."

:first:

Just a note on that note - Yesterday was the first time Smith threw for over 300 yards in a winning effort.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a note on that note - Yesterday was the first time Smith threw for over 300 yards in a winning effort.

Interesting factoid. Thanks.

Though Smith has thrown for 299 and won. A few times. (edit: actually only once. I was wrong)

Last edited by a moderator:

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On the drive where Dixon scored his TD, Hunter would have gone over 300 yards as well, and this would have been done to the Bills in back to back games.

Smith: 303 yds
Gore: 106 yds
Crabtree: 113 yds
Davis: 106 yds

Hunter finished with 81

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Great facts. I never knew there was a football team called the New York Yanks.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm bracing for a let down from Smith next game in which someone will point out his sprained middle finger. This has little effect on losing the game, as his current bad games are being ineffective, not being terrible. But we need him to play well for us to win the game. We may win with our defense, but I think this game is bigger. I am hoping that my fears don't happen, with a 117.2 rating game (average between Jets and Bills game) with 1 or 2 TDs, 0-1 INTs in a win. Win is the only thing, but this board is more fun when everyone plays well, Kaepernick included. :)

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
On the drive where Dixon scored his TD, Hunter would have gone over 300 yards as well, and this would have been done to the Bills in back to back games.

Smith: 303 yds
Gore: 106 yds
Crabtree: 113 yds
Davis: 106 yds

Hunter finished with 81

I was looking at that in the moment, and I think the second play we ran was a Kaepernick pass that meant there wasn't enough field left for Hunter to go over 100.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm bracing for a let down from Smith next game in which someone will point out his sprained middle finger. This has little effect on losing the game, as his current bad games are being ineffective, not being terrible. But we need him to play well for us to win the game. We may win with our defense, but I think this game is bigger. I am hoping that my fears don't happen, with a 117.2 rating game (average between Jets and Bills game) with 1 or 2 TDs, 0-1 INTs in a win. Win is the only thing, but this board is more fun when everyone plays well, Kaepernick included. :)

Here's my attitude toward injured players. If your playing - you're not injured - so STFU with the excuses!

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking at that in the moment, and I think the second play we ran was a Kaepernick pass that meant there wasn't enough field left for Hunter to go over 100.

Not sure how it came to my attention during that drive but I was hoping and clock watching. Then I saw Dixon go in and I knew it wasn't gonna happen. But I guess that is just icing on the cake. Still got a dominant victory.