• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners prefer Witner over Brown

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Witner and Brown set to be free agents, the Niners would prefer to sign Witner over Brown if they had to make a choice. Kevin Lynch has stated that the Niners have offered Brown a 4-year deal for $14M. If Brown accepts it, then there is a good chance that the Niners will be able to resign Witner. With Culliver coming back next season and the good group of CBs in the upcoming draft, it will be easier to replace Brown than Witner. Witner did improve on his coverage this past season and his leadership in the secondary is valuable.

49ers Prefer Whiter but 'Good Chance' They B - 02-07-2014

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh please no, I don't want Brown back at all especially at 4 years. Can we please get younger at this damn position?

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly more terrified thinking about what they are thinking of giving Whitner if Brown is being offered 4 years/14 mil.

I like Brown and wouldn't necessarily mind keeping him for another 2-3 years, but SF needs to be careful with the money they spend because it is going to be extremely tough to keep the team's biggest stars if Baalke is extending middling players like Brown & Whitner.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well bye bye brown. No way he signs for that money.
I do expect that Whitner will be back next season. The coaches and FO seem like what he brings to the team from a leadership stand point.
With all the youth we expect to see at the DB position, I think they will value his leadership and experience more then maybe his on field play is worth.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Goldson last yr, Brown is expendable due to the draft prospects at his position.... i just hope we're not overrating the CB class

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Goldson last yr, Brown is expendable due to the draft prospects at his position.... i just hope we're not overrating the CB class

I don't think we are overrating the class, it is a very deep class. There are many starting caliber CB's to be had in the early rounds, I do think we need a #1 guy though as Brown certainly didn't fit that mold. Brown and Rogers were very average as CB's and I certainly think that they are replaceable. Honestly with Brown being our #2 CB, we have already replaced him with Brock, now we just need an upgrade over Rogers.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we are overrating the class, it is a very deep class. There are many starting caliber CB's to be had in the early rounds, I do think we need a #1 guy though as Brown certainly didn't fit that mold. Brown and Rogers were very average as CB's and I certainly think that they are replaceable. Honestly with Brown being our #2 CB, we have already replaced him with Brock, now we just need an upgrade over Rogers.

Dodub, if the Niners decide to draft a CB with the 30th pick, what CB would be available? I've looked at several mocks and Gilbert, Dennard, and Roberson probably will be gone before the Niners' selection. Who would you draft if these three are gone? Should they take a WR or BPA and draft a CB in the 2nd round? How about Fuller in the 2nd round?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just dont want to be disappointed should we go CB early(first two picks)...

i mean I wouldn't want the convenience of the CB class being hyped up due to the strength of the SB defense and our present need at CB....

a lot of Mocks have been wide open with CBs in regards who goes first or who goes where... its all over the place and nothing in common outside of one being taken top 20

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh please no, I don't want Brown back at all especially at 4 years. Can we please get younger at this damn position?

I agree. Brown and his agent will definitely want to test the market first. Brown is a nice player, but he is 29 and I agree that we need to start looking at younger guys. I like Culliver and he has more size than Brown. And the draft is deep with talented CBs. But I definitely would like to keep Whitner...at the right price of course.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised we want to keep Whitner.. He is a good guy and locker room guy and is a vet. He is still a good safety and I don't think the front office wants a 1st year and 2nd year guy starting at the safety position..
I would rather sign Whitner for 2-3 years and draft a safety to groom for the future..

I am not a huge Brown fan and think he isn't that good so I wish we would just let him go and draft a guy or two

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this report has us offering him less than what we have Brock. Ha I doubt brown would be game.

I am a bit worried about out CB/safety position for next year. We need to really hit on it this offseason.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
No surprise that we would prefer Whitner since he's a leader on defense and the drop off is pretty large when it comes the other guys we have at S.

We could draft a replacement but I don't think the team would really want that much inexperience in starting a 2nd year player and a rookie at the position.

Even with Whitner back I still would like to see us draft a S prospect in the later rounds to develop and hopefully take over the position one day.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing 29 year old CBs rarely works out. I hope we learned our lesson with Rogers.

Overall Rogers was a good signing. Going into this contract we knew the later years he would be on the decline. He gave us 2 great years.

I hope we draft a CB in rd 2. Rd 1 I want Mike Adams from Texas AM

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Overall Rogers was a good signing. Going into this contract we knew the later years he would be on the decline. He gave us 2 great years.

I hope we draft a CB in rd 2. Rd 1 I want Mike Adams from Texas AM

The first contract he got, for 1 yr, was a great signing and he played really well.

The contract extension though was garbage. His 2nd year here, he dropped off quite a bit. He played ok but no where near his contract. Last year he sucked quite a bit. Now we will have to cut him and have dead money because of it. Also, we could have had more money carried over the previous two years if this contract was never signed.

And do you mean Mike Evans the WR from Texas A&M?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodub, if the Niners decide to draft a CB with the 30th pick, what CB would be available? I've looked at several mocks and Gilbert, Dennard, and Roberson probably will be gone before the Niners' selection. Who would you draft if these three are gone? Should they take a WR or BPA and draft a CB in the 2nd round? How about Fuller in the 2nd round?

Late 1st to 2nd rd CB's

CB- Verrett from TCU
CB- Purifoy from Florida
CB- Roby from OSU
CB- Stanley Jean Baptiste
CB- kyle Fuller from VT

I would be happy with any of these CBs in the 2nd rd.

Question: Would u want 49ers to trade up and grab Darqueze Dennard?

Im ok with a Trade up to grab Dennard, WR Watkins or WR Mike Evans.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first contract he got, for 1 yr, was a great signing and he played really well.

The contract extension though was garbage. His 2nd year here, he dropped off quite a bit. He played ok but no where near his contract. Last year he sucked quite a bit. Now we will have to cut him and have dead money because of it. Also, we could have had more money carried over the previous two years if this contract was never signed.

And do you mean Mike Evans the WR from Texas A&M?

Yes I don't know why Im saying adams. Its starting to piss me off. LOL

I Disagree. I think he gave us 2 very good years. He was bad last year and so so this year. I do agree we better cut him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the question: Do the 49ers draft a WR or a CB in the 1st rd?

In my opinion we go WR because CB class is deeper.

Here are the CBs that should be in the 2nd rd.

CB-Verrett from TCU
CB- Purifoy from Florida
CB- Roby from OSU
CB- Stanley Jean Baptiste
CB- Kyle Fuller from VT

Here are the WRs that should be there in the 2nd rd.

Allen Robinson- PSU
Brandin Cooks- Oregon St
Jordan Matthews- Vanderbilt
Davante Adams- Fresno St
Paul Richardson- Purdue

Only WRs I like but doesn't excite me is Adams and Matthews.

This is why I would go WR with our 1st pick.