• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners need a hired gun on defense

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Last time the Niners won a SB they called upon the services of Deion Sanders to put the defense over the top. They need to do something similar to that again IMO. They need a difference maker on defense.

Maybe Julius Peppers. If he'd accept a 1 or 2 year deal he'd probably be motivated enough to keep playing at a high level. He wouldn't have to play a ton of snaps.

Maybe Darrelle Revis. He might not get cut though. Trade maybe?

Maybe Antrel Rolle if he becomes a cap casualty. Under-appreciated playmaker IMO. I could see him going nuts on a 1-year contract. He & Reid would be a dream combo'. I was hoping he'd get cut last offseason; his salary is really high.

It's really unlikely, but I'd take Jadaveon Clowney too. If the Niners could trade pretty much the whole draft & then some for this guy I say do it. With both Aldon & him on the field at the same time I say screw the depth.

The Niners' talent level is on the decline. If they're gonna win a SB it has to be with a legendary defense.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A trade for revis means you're paying him 16mil a year.

That's definitely not a cheap gun.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
A trade for revis means you're paying him 16mil a year.

That's definitely not a cheap gun.

That's true, but ya gotta break some eggs if you wanna make an omelette.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
About the same as signing BJ Ragi and Mack at Center!!

Not necessarily. I'm talking about something short term; although Revis could be an exception if he returns to his all-pro' form. If the Niners traded for him, they could cut him down the road with a zero cap hit.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree making a splash to help ourselves out, while we have cap room and draft picks! Go 49ers!!

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those would be some awesome storylines if one actually happened. But honestly, its not about making splashes. Its about building. And that's what the Niners have done through draft picks. I'm not saying don't do it. Maybe a big splash would put a stamp on the building process and put you over the top. Who knows. Offseason storylines are always fun to talk and speculate about.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, but ya gotta break some eggs if you wanna make an omelette.

Yhea, because we can EASILY give Revis 16mil after we pay Aldon. I really wonder what it's like in Sickness fantasy land where players work for kibbles and bits.

smfh

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Last time the Niners won a SB they called upon the services of Deion Sanders to put the defense over the top. They need to do something similar to that again IMO. They need a difference maker on defense.

Maybe Julius Peppers. If he'd accept a 1 or 2 year deal he'd probably be motivated enough to keep playing at a high level. He wouldn't have to play a ton of snaps.

Maybe Darrelle Revis. He might not get cut though. Trade maybe?

Maybe Antrel Rolle if he becomes a cap casualty. Under-appreciated playmaker IMO. I could see him going nuts on a 1-year contract. He & Reid would be a dream combo'. I was hoping he'd get cut last offseason; his salary is really high.

It's really unlikely, but I'd take Jadaveon Clowney too. If the Niners could trade pretty much the whole draft & then some for this guy I say do it. With both Aldon & him on the field at the same time I say screw the depth.

The Niners' talent level is on the decline. If they're gonna win a SB it has to be with a legendary defense.

There's only one idea I like here and thats probably the craziest one. I'd be on board going for Clowney.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way the 49ers are going to pony up $16 million for Revis. Not with theie cap situation.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
None of those guys are Deion Sanders. Not even close. This isn't 1994. The Seahawks aren't the Cowboys and Colin Kaepernick isn't Steve Young. Reality is for every Deion or Aeneas Williams you have ten Antonio Langhams. There's a reason Tampa couldn't compete despite breaking the bank on Revis and Vincent Jackson. The 49ers don't need an over paid free agent. The need to open up the passing game.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Jairus Byrd. I'm just not sure about what he's going to cost?

Of course we'll still need a cb, its just that he's such a ballhawk, he'll help that secondary so much.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Those would be some awesome storylines if one actually happened. But honestly, its not about making splashes. Its about building. And that's what the Niners have done through draft picks. I'm not saying don't do it. Maybe a big splash would put a stamp on the building process and put you over the top. Who knows. Offseason storylines are always fun to talk and speculate about.

That's true when the overall talent level of a team is rising. I don't think that's the case with the 49ers.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's true when the overall talent level of a team is rising. I don't think that's the case with the 49ers.

I don't see the talent declining nearly as much as you make it out to be. Let's consider both sides of the ball.

The offense is quite young with the exception of a couple players. The OL is remarkably young given their experience - Staley at 29 is the oldest, next are Boone and Iupati at 26. Gore only has one or two years left, but Hunter has already shown a lot and Lattimore is in the wings. Vernon is 30, but shows no signs of regressing to date. Crabtree is 26. Kaepernick is 25 with loads of upside, and is the single most important piece on the team.

The D is older, but the most important players aren't. Obviously Justin Smith is on the decline, but he's still got a couple good years left in him as we groom Tank to replace him. McDonald, Willis, and Books are all 29, and should have several more solid years left. Only Willis struggled this year, and I think that was more due to injury than age. Meanwhile, Aldon is 24, Bowman is 25, Reid is 22. We don't have any impact CBs anyway, so it's not like the age at those positions is devastating; frankly, Brock was probably the best overall this year, and he's only 25.

Obviously we need to continue to add and develop talent, but I don't see any reason at all to mortgage the future to make one desperate bid for the SB. This team is built in a way that it can sustain success, particularly if Colin can continue to make strides and we can continue to increase and utilize our draft picks.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't see the talent declining nearly as much as you make it out to be. Let's consider both sides of the ball.

The offense is quite young with the exception of a couple players. The OL is remarkably young given their experience - Staley at 29 is the oldest, next are Boone and Iupati at 26. Gore only has one or two years left, but Hunter has already shown a lot and Lattimore is in the wings. Vernon is 30, but shows no signs of regressing to date. Crabtree is 26. Kaepernick is 25 with loads of upside, and is the single most important piece on the team.

The D is older, but the most important players aren't. Obviously Justin Smith is on the decline, but he's still got a couple good years left in him as we groom Tank to replace him. McDonald, Willis, and Books are all 29, and should have several more solid years left. Only Willis struggled this year, and I think that was more due to injury than age. Meanwhile, Aldon is 24, Bowman is 25, Reid is 22. We don't have any impact CBs anyway, so it's not like the age at those positions is devastating; frankly, Brock was probably the best overall this year, and he's only 25.

Obviously we need to continue to add and develop talent, but I don't see any reason at all to mortgage the future to make one desperate bid for the SB. This team is built in a way that it can sustain success, particularly if Colin can continue to make strides and we can continue to increase and utilize our draft picks.

Let's look at it position-by-position (omitting QB because people go all :lm: about QBs for some reason):

LT: same
LG: same
C: Kilgore? Couldn't beat Goodwin last year; the same would probably be optimistic.
RG: same
RT: same
RB: Declining talent (Gore). Lattimore might be able to change that, but I doubt he'll be better than 2012 Gore as a rookie.
WR: Boldin (if he's back) - Declining
WR: Crabby - Same
TE: same
FB: same

LDE: Same
NT: Same
RDE: Declining
LOLB: same
ILB: same
ILB: Probably declining (after an ACL / MCL tear)
ROLB: same
FS: Improving
SS: ???
CB: ???
CB: ???

That's one starting position on the team that's improving IMO. Not exactly encouraging to say the team is getting better.