• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners - Chargers

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no. Sudfield is in

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 out of 14, with two tds and one pick for Lance. Looked pretty good after the first couple of drives

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man, Daniels set that receiver up to be crushed there and then a pick six by the niners

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Td called back for a hold on the td return. Madden is fast!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners fumble it away. Sudfield pulls out from Center without the ball

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, if they kept this Sudfield cat over Josh Rosen, imagine how bad Rosen must be

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice pass rush again by the Niners results in a sack

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice return by James there puts Niners in business

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, does it get any more boring than watching a team quarterbacked by Nate Sudfield?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good god, Sudfield is awful

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, no wonder we looked so bad:

Tight end George Kittle and linebacker Fred Warner lead a group of healthy 49ers players who will not suit up for Sunday night's exhibition game against the Los Angeles Chargers, the team announced.

The 49ers' offensive players who will not suit up, in addition to Kittle, are running backs Raheem Mostert, Trey Sermon and Elijah Mitchell; wide receivers Jauan Jennings and Jalen Hurd; and offensive linemen Alex Mack, Trent Williams, Shon Coleman and Aaron Banks.

Jennings, who has come on strong in his bid to win a roster spot, was a late scratch due to a heel condition, the team said. Sermon is being rested due to an ankle condition.

The 49ers' defensive players who will not suit up, in addition to Warner, are defensive linemen Nick Bosa, Dee Ford, Javon Kinlaw and Azeez Al-Shaair; and defensive backs Emmanuel Moseley, Jason Verrett, Jimmie Ward, Tavon Wilson and K’Waun Williams.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game thoughts....

The offense looked good on that first drive with Jimmy at the helm. The way he ran for that first down hints at the fact that he sees what's behind him on the bench. His margin of error is razor-thin and he's going after it. Might we see the 2017 version of JG that we all got excited about when he first joined the team???? Then he threw a pick to kill the drive. Aiyuk gets more of the responsibility on that, imo. Yes, it was definitely coming in high, but Aiyuk made a great play to get TWO hands on it - he's got to come down with the ball. Anyway, it was nice to see the offense perform well under JG. He's frustrated me with injuries and mediocre play the last few years, but he seems like a good dude and has handled himself like an absolute pro through all of this. I wish nothing but good things for him.

Lance looked sooooo nervous and unsure of himself on the first couple of drives. I was thinking... "whelp, thank god we've got Jimmy". Then "bam!" he hits Sherfield and Sanu on legit, 100% pro-style football plays. We had less than a minute to go in the half - be honest. Did anyone have faith that the kid was gonna get a TD before the half? I certainly didn't. I was telling my wife during halftime that he's finally getting into a rhythm, Shanahan had to bring him out to start the second half, if nothing else for his confidence. Then he comes out, and while he still has a few hiccups, you start to see it coming together for him. That TD to Benjamin was so encouraging to see and a great way for him to finish the night. In hindsight, having that type of game could be more valuable for his development in the long term. I can't wait to see the real Trey package when the regular season starts. And I can't wait to see how this kid develops. You can see it on the plays when it clicks... you can see it on that 2 pt conversion that got called back... he absolutely can take this offense to another level. But he's still raw. I say play him for the first full half against the Raiders next week, hell maybe even three quarters. Every minute he's on the field is super-valuable for his development.

Benjamin is taking James' spot at this point, right? And Sherfield/Jennings have effectively closed the door for Hurd right? That punt return by James didn't do enough for me. Outside of Sherfield and Jennings, the WR group has been disappointing so far. Far too many drops from our top guys. And Deebo is already talking about MRIs... this time his glutes? There's a "pain in the butt" joke in there somewhere, but I'm not funny enough to find it. Seriously, though. These guys need to catch the damn ball. Did I mention that I'm done with James? I'm not a superstitious man, but I'm 83.6% sure that his bad juju is rubbing off on Aiyuk, and I'd just as soon be done with it. Plus the physicality that Sherfield and Jennings bring to the table is starting to rub off on me.

OLine pass protection could be our downfall. Thank god we're a play-action team, because we're gonna need it if anyone gets injured on the starting unit. I'm gonna go back and watch a few of the early offensive series again, but my recollection is that there were very few clean pockets to throw from. A few, perhaps, but that right side with Brunskill and McGlinchey consistently struggles to hold folks back. At least McGlinchey is a mauler in the run game. Moore showed good improvement from last week, which was a bright spot. Something tells me that if we falter this year, this group will provide the catalyst.

Damn... that DLine is hungry. And deeeeeeep! We still have weakness in the secondary, but man - with Bosa, Ford, Warner and company all on the same field, that may rarely get exposed! If they can stay healthy, this defense is gonna cause some fits. Only question that remains for me is how good of a job DeMeco does on game planning and half time adjustments. He's clearly got talent to work with... he's just got to coordinate it. We haven't seen anything that really shows us how good DeMeco will be as a coordinator.

Special teams still gonna be a soft spot. Kinda frustrating. Gould has lost some mojo and it doesn't feel like it's coming back. Wishnowsky is average to below-average. Our coverage is inconsistent and we rarely set up blocking that leads to any sort of return threat. But more importantly - I just don't feel like this staff places much value on this phase of the game. Shanahan's rule about starters not playing special teams is just a weird one to me. Especially if some players want to volunteer for it. More than anything, it makes me feel like he believes those plays are somehow less impactful than run-of-the-mill offense/defense plays. Why wouldn't you want the best players available on single plays that have the largest potential to shift field position? Seems like a blind spot for Shanahan and sometimes I worry that his ego will get in the way of any evolution here.

Good stuff, bad stuff, overall. Excited to see Lance's development. Excied about the defense. Frustrated that our WRs aren't catching the ball. Scared to death that our OLine will be our undoing. Glad the preseason is coming to a close soon.... "vanilla" flavor is getting boring. I'd like goddam sprinkles already!! I just wrote a freaking novel about a preseason game... bring on the regular season already!!

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I throw, you catch... it's not that hard, okay? Now get the f@ck outta here." Still a classic...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Game thoughts....

The offense looked good on that first drive with Jimmy at the helm. The way he ran for that first down hints at the fact that he sees what's behind him on the bench. His margin of error is razor-thin and he's going after it. Might we see the 2017 version of JG that we all got excited about when he first joined the team???? Then he threw a pick to kill the drive. Aiyuk gets more of the responsibility on that, imo. Yes, it was definitely coming in high, but Aiyuk made a great play to get TWO hands on it - he's got to come down with the ball. Anyway, it was nice to see the offense perform well under JG. He's frustrated me with injuries and mediocre play the last few years, but he seems like a good dude and has handled himself like an absolute pro through all of this. I wish nothing but good things for him.

Lance looked sooooo nervous and unsure of himself on the first couple of drives. I was thinking... "whelp, thank god we've got Jimmy". Then "bam!" he hits Sherfield and Sanu on legit, 100% pro-style football plays. We had less than a minute to go in the half - be honest. Did anyone have faith that the kid was gonna get a TD before the half? I certainly didn't. I was telling my wife during halftime that he's finally getting into a rhythm, Shanahan had to bring him out to start the second half, if nothing else for his confidence. Then he comes out, and while he still has a few hiccups, you start to see it coming together for him. That TD to Benjamin was so encouraging to see and a great way for him to finish the night. In hindsight, having that type of game could be more valuable for his development in the long term. I can't wait to see the real Trey package when the regular season starts. And I can't wait to see how this kid develops. You can see it on the plays when it clicks... you can see it on that 2 pt conversion that got called back... he absolutely can take this offense to another level. But he's still raw. I say play him for the first full half against the Raiders next week, hell maybe even three quarters. Every minute he's on the field is super-valuable for his development.

Benjamin is taking James' spot at this point, right? And Sherfield/Jennings have effectively closed the door for Hurd right? That punt return by James didn't do enough for me. Outside of Sherfield and Jennings, the WR group has been disappointing so far. Far too many drops from our top guys. And Deebo is already talking about MRIs... this time his glutes? There's a "pain in the butt" joke in there somewhere, but I'm not funny enough to find it. Seriously, though. These guys need to catch the damn ball. Did I mention that I'm done with James? I'm not a superstitious man, but I'm 83.6% sure that his bad juju is rubbing off on Aiyuk, and I'd just as soon be done with it. Plus the physicality that Sherfield and Jennings bring to the table is starting to rub off on me.

OLine pass protection could be our downfall. Thank god we're a play-action team, because we're gonna need it if anyone gets injured on the starting unit. I'm gonna go back and watch a few of the early offensive series again, but my recollection is that there were very few clean pockets to throw from. A few, perhaps, but that right side with Brunskill and McGlinchey consistently struggles to hold folks back. At least McGlinchey is a mauler in the run game. Moore showed good improvement from last week, which was a bright spot. Something tells me that if we falter this year, this group will provide the catalyst.

Damn... that DLine is hungry. And deeeeeeep! We still have weakness in the secondary, but man - with Bosa, Ford, Warner and company all on the same field, that may rarely get exposed! If they can stay healthy, this defense is gonna cause some fits. Only question that remains for me is how good of a job DeMeco does on game planning and half time adjustments. He's clearly got talent to work with... he's just got to coordinate it. We haven't seen anything that really shows us how good DeMeco will be as a coordinator.

Special teams still gonna be a soft spot. Kinda frustrating. Gould has lost some mojo and it doesn't feel like it's coming back. Wishnowsky is average to below-average. Our coverage is inconsistent and we rarely set up blocking that leads to any sort of return threat. But more importantly - I just don't feel like this staff places much value on this phase of the game. Shanahan's rule about starters not playing special teams is just a weird one to me. Especially if some players want to volunteer for it. More than anything, it makes me feel like he believes those plays are somehow less impactful than run-of-the-mill offense/defense plays. Why wouldn't you want the best players available on single plays that have the largest potential to shift field position? Seems like a blind spot for Shanahan and sometimes I worry that his ego will get in the way of any evolution here.

Good stuff, bad stuff, overall. Excited to see Lance's development. Excied about the defense. Frustrated that our WRs aren't catching the ball. Scared to death that our OLine will be our undoing. Glad the preseason is coming to a close soon.... "vanilla" flavor is getting boring. I'd like goddam sprinkles already!! I just wrote a freaking novel about a preseason game... bring on the regular season already!!
Bottom line is your QB needs to throw well from the pocket. Yes, Lance will eventually have other things added but your base ability has to include throwing from the pocket. Yesterday, didn't think any QB threw well from the pocket. Even some of the passes that were caught, were inaccurate. JG is basically JG so we can only hope for the more accurate 2019 version. Lance will improve his accuracy as he gains more reps. Its obvious he's throwing too hard on shorter throws, but that will also improve as he plays more. Lance has so many other things to think of now, so not too concerned with his touch.

The depth of the defensive line does look good. They in turn made the Backers and Secondary look better.

Hasty looks good, better than Gallman yesterday.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is your QB needs to throw well from the pocket. Yes, Lance will eventually have other things added but your base ability has to include throwing from the pocket. Yesterday, didn't think any QB threw well from the pocket. Even some of the passes that were caught, were inaccurate. JG is basically JG so we can only hope for the more accurate 2019 version. Lance will improve his accuracy as he gains more reps. Its obvious he's throwing too hard on shorter throws, but that will also improve as he plays more. Lance has so many other things to think of now, so not too concerned with his touch.

The depth of the defensive line does look good. They in turn made the Backers and Secondary look better.

Hasty looks good, better than Gallman yesterday.
The most worrisome thing about Lance to me is he does not seem like a leader out there taking charge, directing traffic and calling plays and formations at the line. He looks like a confused rookie most of the time but then he makes a good play. Tough to tell where he is at at this point. Looks good on some plays and really bad on others. I guess that's to be expected but I don't see that in Fields, Jones or Lawrence. Haven't seen Wilson at all yet

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The most worrisome thing about Lance to me is he does not seem like a leader out there taking charge, directing traffic and calling plays and formations at the line. He looks like a confused rookie most of the time but then he makes a good play. Tough to tell where he is at at this point. Looks good on some plays and really bad on others. I guess that's to be expected but I don't see that in Fields, Jones or Lawrence. Haven't seen Wilson at all yet
Your opinion is fine but i didn't get the same impression.........that he looks like a confused rookie?! He hasn't played much and so he doesn't look like a 10 year Pro either, but he didn't look confused to me.

He just needs more reps which he'll get from here on,not only to improve his throwing but to feel the pass rush. It is good Shannahan is focusing on throws from the pocket, it is Pre-Season. The other stuff will be added for sure, but this is the time to experience pocket passing.

In the big picture, he's ahead of schedule and i'm very glad he is.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I was expecting Lance to be more raw-looking since he was coming from only 1 full college season as a starter and all at Div. 2. After what we've seen in PS and the reports from TC, I'm very encouraged about where Lance is at.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your opinion is fine but i didn't get the same impression.........that he looks like a confused rookie?! He hasn't played much and so he doesn't look like a 10 year Pro either, but he didn't look confused to me.

He just needs more reps which he'll get from here on,not only to improve his throwing but to feel the pass rush. It is good Shannahan is focusing on throws from the pocket, it is Pre-Season. The other stuff will be added for sure, but this is the time to experience pocket passing.

It certainly is, as is yours. But if you looked at the difference between Lawrence, taking charge, calling plays at the line and setting up formations, now he looks like he's in charge. Then you see Lance not doing anything like that at all, its a huge difference in preparedness to play. if he looks confused now, just wait until he plays an NFL defense in a real game.

Last edited: