• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners - Chargers

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I was expecting Lance to be more raw-looking since he was coming from only 1 full college season as a starter and all at Div. 2. After what we've seen in PS and the reports from TC, I'm very encouraged about where Lance is at.
I don't believe a word I hear from any NFL team as to what happens in practice; much less what a team like the 49ers say who's coach and GM have staked their jobs on the success of Lance.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I was expecting Lance to be more raw-looking since he was coming from only 1 full college season as a starter and all at Div. 2. After what we've seen in PS and the reports from TC, I'm very encouraged about where Lance is at.

The 'raw' Lance angle really isn't much because Lance was doing stuff in college the other guys mostly weren't - calling plays and audibles, setting protections, etc. He was more NFL ready in that aspect, and it's aided him greatly. You look at him now, going through progressions, manipulating safeties with his eyes, staying calm in the pocket.....the dude is very advanced...especially given his lack of experience and his age. He is mature beyond his years.

He was far more ready for the NFL than most everyone thought, which is why I believed he always had a chance to start week 1. I don't think he will, but I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 'raw' Lance angle really isn't much because Lance was doing stuff in college the other guys mostly weren't - calling plays and audibles, setting protections, etc. He was more NFL ready in that aspect, and it's aided him greatly. You look at him now, going through progressions, manipulating safeties with his eyes, staying calm in the pocket.....the dude is very advanced...especially given his lack of experience and his age. He is mature beyond his years.

He was far more ready for the NFL than most everyone thought, which is why I believed he always had a chance to start week 1. I don't think he will, but I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.
Not sure I expected anything specific, I just wanted to see him. Hard to tell if he's ahead of, or behind, in his progress because I don't know what the coaches are asking him to do in the snaps he's getting. His flashes are enough to get excited about, though. Once he settled-in, he looked to have much better command in the Charger game - which is a good sign.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes, he's doing things you wouldn't expect at this early stage . He doesn't look confused to me.

As he gets more game reps this SEASON, his accuracy and touch will improve.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I expected anything specific, I just wanted to see him. Hard to tell if he's ahead of, or behind, in his progress because I don't know what the coaches are asking him to do in the snaps he's getting. His flashes are enough to get excited about, though. Once he settled-in, he looked to have much better command in the Charger game - which is a good sign.

They're asking him to do the things that he needs to work on/didn't do much of in college - straight drop backs (I even saw one 7-step drop back, which I don't think I've ever seen with Shanahan as HC) and pure passing. There are no scripted runs, as everyone knows he can execute that in his sleep. He's progressed within both games....and Shanahan has mentioned that.

He's still got a ways to go, but 49ers fans should be excited so far in what they've seen.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're asking him to do the things that he needs to work on/didn't do much of in college - straight drop backs (I even saw one 7-step drop back, which I don't think I've ever seen with Shanahan as HC) and pure passing. There are no scripted runs, as everyone knows he can execute that in his sleep. He's progressed within both games....and Shanahan has mentioned that.

He's still got a ways to go, but 49ers fans should be excited so far in what they've seen.
Totally excited... can't wait to see the full Trey package in action.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's done none of that as a 49er so what makes you say that? That seems to me to be his biggest weakness so far. He cannot change the play at the line or set up protections and formations and that is why he gets sacked so often.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he's doing things you wouldn't expect at this early stage . He doesn't look confused to me.

As he gets more game reps this SEASON, his accuracy and touch will improve.
Baloney. Stop the hype nonsense

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baloney. Stop the hype nonsense
Not hype, reality.

I'm not one who is promoting him to start game 1, i know he has things to learn. and hae posted as such. But am saying its proven he's ahead of projections.

You're trying to say i'm hyping him as a quality NFL starter, which is baloney with mustard.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not hype, reality.

I'm not one who is promoting him to start game 1, i know he has things to learn. and hae posted as such. But am saying its proven he's ahead of projections.

You're trying to say i'm hyping him as a quality NFL starter, which is baloney with mustard.
How is he ahead though? You don't explain. He doesn't read defenses well, he gets sacked way to much because he can't change plays or formations at the line because he doesn't recognize what the D is doing yet.

He has a big arm but we already knew that. They say he can run, but we haven't seen even the least bit of escapability in the pocket. He fires balls at 100 mph without touch that bounce off receivers hands but has also had receivers drop some easy ones.

He has thrown some nice touch passes and has shown accuracy on some but I would hardly call him ahead of projections.
Shanahan disguised his assessment with some faint praise but even he admits that lance is not close to ready.

I like some of what I see but I'll take Garoppolo at this stage any day. I think they are setting themselves up for early season failure by not letting Garoppolo get any game time with his receivers but I just gotta hope Shanahan knows what he's doing. He surely knows more than I do.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not hype, reality.

That made me laugh... ain't gonna lie. I would say that you're generally on the low-end of hyping the kid.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is he ahead though? You don't explain. He doesn't read defenses well, he gets sacked way to much because he can't change plays or formations at the line because he doesn't recognize what the D is doing yet.

He has a big arm but we already knew that. They say he can run, but we haven't seen even the least bit of escapability in the pocket. He fires balls at 100 mph without touch that bounce off receivers hands but has also had receivers drop some easy ones.

He has thrown some nice touch passes and has shown accuracy on some but I would hardly call him ahead of projections.
Shanahan disguised his assessment with some faint praise but even he admits that lance is not close to ready.

I like some of what I see but I'll take Garoppolo at this stage any day. I think they are setting themselves up for early season failure by not letting Garoppolo get any game time with his receivers but I just gotta hope Shanahan knows what he's doing. He surely knows more than I do.
Glass is half empty, amirite?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This guy does a few detailed breakdowns of Lance in preseason games. Take a look... there's good and bad in there. Overall, plenty of reason to think they're pleased with where he's at.

Even on some of Lance's bad plays, you can see that he often makes the right read, but hesitates more than anything. Because he's not totally confident yet, mostly because he needs reps.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy does a few detailed breakdowns of Lance in preseason games. Take a look... there's good and bad in there. Overall, plenty of reason to think they're pleased with where he's at.

Even on some of Lance's bad plays, you can see that he often makes the right read, but hesitates more than anything. Because he's not totally confident yet, mostly because he needs reps.
Pretty good review I think

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You have to know what you're looking at?!

You're reference point is "NFL starter", you're not considering what his history is before getting to OTA.

So many people have written and said how well he looks considering his history. They're right for the most part, but i'm not saying he's so far along that he should start game 1.