• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niner sign CB Charvarius Ward

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners first FA signing is Ward. A CB from KC.

It's a 3yr deal worth "up to" 42M, with 26.7M guaranteed. That's 14M/yr, but I expect the details to show us that the max and yearly amount are inflated.

Originally an UDFA brought in by Dallas, KC traded some used footballs for him and it's been a good deal for them ever since. The biggest thing going for him is that he is only 25, and he has improved just about every season he's been in the league.

2019 - Qbs had a 65.2 rating and a completion % of 47.2 when throwing at him
2020 - Qbs had a 103.1 rating and a completion % of 57.1 when throwing at him (11 flags too)
2021 - Qbs had a 79.4 rating and a completion % of 51.3 (4 flags)

And it should be noted that in 2021, he was often asked to cover No. 1 WRs, and PFF named him KC's most improved player. That kind of improvement despite being targeted on 17.9% of his coverage snaps, the 14th-highest rate among NFL corners--he still got a career-high PFF grade (71.2).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have no doubt he's good and fills a big need but $14M a year?! So next off-season when Moseley's contract is up, won't he ask for $14M/year?

This is supposedly a good draft class for CB's, so i would've drafted one with our first pick. I know rookies can't just come in a play at a high level, so i'd have gone with Ambry until the rookie is good enough to play. Yes, this means our CB's aren't as good but $14M/year is tying up cap space that could've gone to say OG and another depth piece like Burks.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pick up and his age matches the nucleus in terms of age and aggressiveness. I would have preferred using that money on an edge rusher opposite Bosa but
Matt Leblanc Reaction GIF

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt he's good and fills a big need but $14M a year?! So next off-season when Moseley's contract is up, won't he ask for $14M/year?

This is supposedly a good draft class for CB's, so i would've drafted one with our first pick. I know rookies can't just come in a play at a high level, so i'd have gone with Ambry until the rookie is good enough to play. Yes, this means our CB's aren't as good but $14M/year is tying up cap space that could've gone to say OG and another depth piece like Burks.

I get what you are saying, but we need someone to anchor our secondary. Ambry, although impressive in small doses last season, is still a relative unknown. Verrett was that vet anchor and Sherman before him, but starting the season with Eman and Ambry as our starters shows a lack of depth, even if you draft a CB high.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great pick up and his age matches the nucleus in terms of age and aggressiveness. I would have preferred using that money on an edge rusher opposite Bosa but
Matt Leblanc Reaction GIF
Yeah, thats another idea, an Edge rusher would be more closer to $14M.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I get what you are saying, but we need someone to anchor our secondary. Ambry, although impressive in small doses last season, is still a relative unknown. Verrett was that vet anchor and Sherman before him, but starting the season with Eman and Ambry as our starters shows a lack of depth, even if you draft a CB high.
This is the hard part of filling in the roster, you have to decide where the cap resources are going? Do you prop up one spot with a quality starter, or a lesser starter but plus good back-up?

There is no right way to do this, just preferences on what we think works.

BTW - Despite the CB's we had last season, our pass defense ranked well. I believe it was 7th?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the hard part of filling in the roster, you have to decide where the cap resources are going? Do you prop up one spot with a quality starter, or a lesser starter but plus good back-up?

There is no right way to do this, just preferences on what we think works.

BTW - Despite the CB's we had last season, our pass defense ranked well. I believe it was around 7th?
I think the FO saw how the lack of depth at CB hurt us last season.

With Ward and Mosely and Thomas, we're looking at a better CB group than we've had in years. Even though the draft looks deep at CB, we know that rookie CBs tend to start slow. Bringing in Verret on a 1yr minimum deal would help give us some insurance too.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the FO saw how the lack of depth at CB hurt us last season.

With Ward and Mosely and Thomas, we're looking at a better CB group than we've had in years. Even though the draft looks deep at CB, we know that rookie CBs tend to start slow. Bringing in Verret on a 1yr minimum deal would help give us some insurance too.
Signing a CB like Ward isn't my concern, the reasoning is clear looking at our CBs. The question is the cap cost?

Might it be more cost effective if we draft a rookie CB? This class is supposedly deep at CB, so its not like we'll reach. The cap savings would be LARGE and we have this player under his rookie deal for 4 years. Yes, there is a trade-off because the rookie will need time but this is why we stack the D-line.

A secondary concern was the effect on the current 49ers, mainly Moseley? I would think Moseley isn't far behind in production and IF so, what will happen next off-season when he wants near $14M?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing a CB like Ward isn't my concern, the reasoning is clear looking at our CBs. The question is the cap cost?

Might it be more cost effective if we draft a rookie CB? This class is supposedly deep at CB, so its not like we'll reach. The cap savings would be LARGE and we have this player under his rookie deal for 4 years. Yes, there is a trade-off because the rookie will need time but this is why we stack the D-line.

A secondary concern was the effect on the current 49ers, mainly Moseley? I would think Moseley isn't far behind in production and IF so, what will happen next off-season when he wants near $14M?
As for cap cost, we'll know when the details come out. These "max value" contract #s are usually unrealistic.

It would be more cost effective to draft ALL of your needs. While we're at CB, why don't we do that for OG, OC, DE, etc.? Largely b/c of the developmental time it can take versus the need for immediate contribution (though scarcity and other factors comes into play too).

Ward likely isn't just a CB signed for this season. He's also likely insurance in case Moselely walks next year or Thomas fails to develop or we see another rash of injuries at CB.

As for his effect on Moseley--whether we signed Ward or not does nothing to change the market for Moseley. After his time here, look at Tomlinson--teams were gonna pay him 13-15M/year regardless of whether the Niners signed an OG for 10M/yr.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As for cap cost, we'll know when the details come out. These "max value" contract #s are usually unrealistic.

It would be more cost effective to draft ALL of your needs. While we're at CB, why don't we do that for OG, OC, DE, etc.? Largely b/c of the developmental time it can take versus the need for immediate contribution (though scarcity and other factors comes into play too).

Ward likely isn't just a CB signed for this season. He's also likely insurance in case Moselely walks next year or Thomas fails to develop or we see another rash of injuries at CB.

As for his effect on Moseley--whether we signed Ward or not does nothing to change the market for Moseley. After his time here, look at Tomlinson--teams were gonna pay him 13-15M/year regardless of whether the Niners signed an OG for 10M/yr.
Whelp, thats whats going to happen now.......draft for all of our remaining Needs.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp, thats whats going to happen now.......draft for all of our remaining Needs.
I really feel as if the Ward signing frees us to attack our offense a bit more in this draft. Our IOL needs to be overhauled and McG's knee injury has like a 50% recovery rate, which ain't good. Couple that w the fact that we got only 3 WRs signed, and I would LOVE to see 2 of our first 4 picks on OL studs and some WR depth. Deep Safety draft so if we aren't going to re-sign Tartt, we should be looking.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moseley is NOT on the same level as Ward, first of all. Second, if Moseley is going shopping during FA, then we just bought another season of grooming for both Ambry and Lenoir to take over outside and slot duties, respectively.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some draft targets I would like us to focus on:

West OC/OG Ariz St - Future C, great mobility
Parham OG Memphis - Great scheme fit
Walker OT Penn St. - Mobile w nasty streak, could possibly move inside to OG
Deitch OT Ariz St- One of the fastest OL in this draft, great scheme fit
Lindstrom OC Boston College - one of the best C available
Tom OT Wake Forest - one of the most athletic OL in the draft
Ross WR Clemson - underperformed in college but has the physical tools
Ezukanma WR Texas Tech - Big and explosive, solid at all three levels
Shakir WR Boise St - Just watch his tape...explosive, shifty, just needs the ball in his hands
Gray WR SMU - A pass happy offense's best WR, lots of fun to watch