• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nike to Stop making Clubs and Balls

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee, I'd have to question that notion. I find that Pro-Vs have the perfect compromise between distance and spin.
there is probably more to it than what I know. I remember seeing something about how you need to hit the ball with enough force to get the full effects of the Pro-V construction.

But my dad had a slower swing speed and only played w Pro-Vs, so there had to be more to it than getting more distance.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well grab a sleeve and give 'em a try.

They are great for working the ball. I can fade or draw the ball but without that kind of control, a fellow would be better to use a two piece ball that doesn't stick to the clubface as much....like a guy with a slice. A Pro-V might accentuate a slice. They're terrific around the greens.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well grab a sleeve and give 'em a try.

They are great for working the ball. I can fade or draw the ball but without that kind of control, a fellow would be better to use a two piece ball that doesn't stick to the clubface as much....like a guy with a slice. A Pro-V might accentuate a slice. They're terrific around the greens.
I actually think I have a dozen somewhere. Not sure what I am saving them for

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
red, honestly, a set of clubs that fits you properly will vastly improve your game. Equipment is more important than many folks think.

My new/used Nike 5 wood arrived yesterday so I'll have to hit the range today. I've determined that I hit the reg flex shaft better on the 3 wood so I bought the 5 wood in regular flex to try. At 40-50 bucks a club on ebay, I ain't breakin' the bank and I'll toss the ones I don't hit as well back onto ebay.

Agreed.

I had to beg off golf for about 2 yrs...when I say beg off, I went from playing twice a week to playing every other month maybe so not totally stopped but a big drop off.

My old clubs were static fit, length, lie, but the new ones were static fit and shaft fitted. When I did start back regularly, that's when I turned over the bag...my new irons were so much better on mishits...same with the driver.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

I had to beg off golf for about 2 yrs...when I say beg off, I went from playing twice a week to playing every other month maybe so not totally stopped but a big drop off.

My old clubs were static fit, length, lie, but the new ones were static fit and shaft fitted. When I did start back regularly, that's when I turned over the bag...my new irons were so much better on mishits...same with the driver.

Yeah I've thought about trading in my Pings for something else but in reality I don't play enough to justify the price of getting a new set.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I've thought about trading in my Pings for something else but in reality I don't play enough to justify the price of getting a new set.

No you don't...if I were only able to play 5 or 6 times a year...I might have a new driver, (when they got marked way down) but for the most part my bag would be the same as well.

I think the fallacy is players that are not very good don't think new clubs will help and they can, but fixing flaw in the fundamentals will help the new technology work a lot more than just buying new sticks.

My cousin is in that boat right now...plays, but not a ton, 20-25 rounds a yr...he struggles to break a 100 on the tougher courses, but 93-96 on the easier tracks...he wants new clubs, but he's got a few flaws that imo are going to keep him in the 90s, I told him to invest some money into a few lessons 1st, then update his clubs.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you don't...if I were only able to play 5 or 6 times a year...I might have a new driver, (when they got marked way down) but for the most part my bag would be the same as well.

I think the fallacy is players that are not very good don't think new clubs will help and they can, but fixing flaw in the fundamentals will help the new technology work a lot more than just buying new sticks.

My cousin is in that boat right now...plays, but not a ton, 20-25 rounds a yr...he struggles to break a 100 on the tougher courses, but 93-96 on the easier tracks...he wants new clubs, but he's got a few flaws that imo are going to keep him in the 90s, I told him to invest some money into a few lessons 1st, then update his clubs.

Tried the lessons didn't work. I am too tall for golf 6'5" and no amount of teaching can fix me, just practice, practice, practice and I just can't, don't have the money or time to do it. So as you mentioned new clubs probably wouldn't help one bit.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried the lessons didn't work. I am too tall for golf 6'5" and no amount of teaching can fix me, just practice, practice, practice and I just can't, don't have the money or time to do it. So as you mentioned new clubs probably wouldn't help one bit.

I hear ya...don't think it's the height though...I'm 6'3" and two of the guys I play it with are taller than me, one is probably your height...crushes the damn ball, one is about my level, the other slightly better, but they play a lot.

I will agree 100% on the money and the time...I've dealt with both of those...lol...I'm pretty much an empty nester now so I have come full circle on the financial part thankfully...free hall pass with the wife to play every weekend at least once....just need to work on the boss to get Fridays off earlier to get that 2nd rd in then it'll pay for me to join somewhere and bring the price down to about $35 per round.

Playing as little as you do and breaking a 100...you're doing enough right for me to think there's hope for you...trust me...lol...When the means and opportunity fall in line...you can dive into this crazy game....in the mean time...like you said...don't take it too serious when you hit one sideways...just have fun....I still don't take it too serious.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This probably describes me. I play 10-12 times a year and usually hit in the low 90's, add 5-10 strokes if we go to one of the real hairy tracks around here.

I bought some Callaway X-14 irons years ago off of the clearance rack when the 16s came out and I wouldn't think of spending more money to upgrade until I made the effort to play a lot more and took a few lessons.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a Nike driver that I sold to one of my friends back when I quit playing golf about 10 years ago. I've tried several drivers since starting back up and can't hit the ball as well as with the old Nike Driver. I think it has more to do with my swing than it does what driver I'm using. nonetheless, I miss that club.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit some nike irons at the driving range once and wasn't impressed. For what they cost I should have seen a little better improvement over my cheap-o's.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, very interesting!!!

Except that article is about 10 yrs old...lol.

It did make news at the time but I think he won enough tourneys with the inferior Nike stuff that Phil kinda let it go.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It remains unclear how this decision will affect Nike's star-studded roster of golfers, which includes Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, and Michelle Wie.

But Woods, for one, will be moving on. Reached by phone, Woods's agent, Mark Steinberg, said he and Tiger were aware this announcement was coming, and that he will begin searching for a new clubmaker for his famous client.

"Tiger and I have had multiple conversations about what we'd do, and we have an organized plan in place," Steinberg said. "The plan is continued rest and rehabilitation and we'll sort out the equipment thing in due course. I'll be in the process of doing that, effective immediately."

Steinberg declined to reveal which clubmaker he'd first approach, but added: "He's been a longtime icon of Nike golf and that's not going to change one ounce. He'll remain a loyal and enthusiastic icon of Nike."

In a 141-word press release, Nike said it will continue forward with its golf shoe and clothing business while partnering with more of the world's best golfers. However, Nike will be "transitioning" out of equipment.

"We're committed to being the undisputed leader in golf footwear and apparel," says Trevor Edwards, Nike brand president. "We will achieve this by investing in performance innovation for athletes and delivering sustainable profitable growth for Nike Golf."

Nike was in the golf equipment arena a relatively short time. It began selling golf balls in 1999, and in May 2000, Tiger Woods ditched his old wound balata for the new solid-core Nike Tour Accuracy ball. One month later, he annihilated the field by 15 shots in the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach.

Tiger Woods still plays golf?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine hitting anything but Titleist Pro-Vs.

Don't blame you...Great ball, but B330 is very comparable....made in the U.S....just as long, short game spin is the same.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This probably describes me. I play 10-12 times a year and usually hit in the low 90's, add 5-10 strokes if we go to one of the real hairy tracks around here.

I bought some Callaway X-14 irons years ago off of the clearance rack when the 16s came out and I wouldn't think of spending more money to upgrade until I made the effort to play a lot more and took a few lessons.
When I bought my new irons a couple of years ago I used the range at the back of the store and hit Callaways and Titleist's. I found I was consistently hitting the Titleist's 5-10 yards further. Never hit a Nike club. The mystery will remain.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've switched from stiff steel Callaway X-14s to graphite Titleist AP1s and the difference is astounding. I'm playing the best golf of my life in my mid 50s.

Just put a new grip that matches the rest of my set on that covert 5 wood reg flex. Now I'll be able to see if I'm going to play it or stay with the stiff.