• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Vannett Appreciation Thread

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or a kick in the nuts?

we cut him.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finely.
Sounds cruel but DHam should be next

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We liked Tricky Nicky Vannett during his time here in Seattle. Wilson didn't like to throw to him but I think Vannett is a guy who could be productive if he was targeted more.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton won’t be next. He is still on his rookie contract. Very cheap. He will have to step up in camp but doubt he is cut before camp starts.

I can name about 15 players on our roster that I would cut before Hamilton..

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get Vannett's roster space. He blocked pretty well, but wasn't much of a threat as a TE. He gets a wave howdy from me - the kind where the guy you're waving at wonders if you are actually waving at him.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We liked Tricky Nicky Vannett during his time here in Seattle. Wilson didn't like to throw to him but I think Vannett is a guy who could be productive if he was targeted more.

Guy got zero separation here. Throw him a 3 yard pass he was getting 3 yards. Decent blocker but he was also making 2.25 m. Our PS TE Troy Fumagalli was giving us more and it appears he won’t be back either. (Which I was hoping he would)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get Vannett's roster space. He blocked pretty well, but wasn't much of a threat as a TE. He gets a wave howdy from me - the kind where the guy you're waving at wonders if you are actually waving at him.

I’ll give him a social distance wave.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy got zero separation here. Throw him a 3 yard pass he was getting 3 yards. Decent blocker but he was also making 2.25 m. Our PS TE Troy Fumagalli was giving us more and it appears he won’t be back either. (Which I was hoping he would)

He reminded me a bit of Virgil Green where he could catch but was mostly around for his blocking ability. Of course Green was a bit better but that’s who I saw him as a replacement for,

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton won’t be next. He is still on his rookie contract. Very cheap. He will have to step up in camp but doubt he is cut before camp starts.

Plus Hamilton is a Drew Lock favorite.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that cheap
and I can name only one player (driskel) I would cut and save $2.5M before Desean. He's not worth $2.5M

Interesting Denver cuts a player to sign a player like they want to keep this $37M cap space in tact.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't referring to contracts around the 2.5 m range that I would cut or not cut. I am referring to players in general off the roster. With COVID adding roster spots last year and players coming off and on the PS and IR I feel we have a lot of dead weight on our roster right now. Hamilton is not dead weight but he surely needs to step it up as he is going into year 4 and has been extremely inconsistent and sort of a one trick pony as I call guys who are depth guys but give us much on special teams.

I would cut Driskel for sure, but that will likely come when we sign/draft another QB..

I did not realize Hamilton was making 2.18 M this year, but I also don't think he will be cut before camp starts. I think as a 4th year guy who we spent a 4th round pick on he will get a shot in camp to try and prove that he has developed enough to help us. At the end of the day I think he is very much in jeopardy of not making the roster this year as he doesn't play on special teams like the Tyrie Cleveland and Dioante Spencer's on the roster do but I do expect him to be in camp with us fighting for a roster spot.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that cheap
and I can name only one player (driskel) I would cut and save $2.5M before Desean. He's not worth $2.5M

Interesting Denver cuts a player to sign a player like they want to keep this $37M cap space in tact.

Good point... Although I will be honest. I was surprised it took Denver a week into free agency to cut Vannett. Seems like they are kind of doing thing in layers this year... Waiting for Driskel to be released once we find a solution to what we are going to do as far as a QB competition goes.

We still have that dud covid replacement kicker on our roster too... His money isn't an issue but he was god awful bad.... maybe he is related to someone on the team. ;)

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the TEs, except the elite ones, suck at yac. Drop like a toad in a frog pond. I'm more concerned with them running a good route which Vannett always seemed to do.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the TEs, except the elite ones, suck at yac. Drop like a toad in a frog pond. I'm more concerned with them running a good route which Vannett always seemed to do.

I understand most TE's other then a few elite ones don't get great separation. Guy had all the opportunity in the world and only caught 14 passes here. There is a difference between being a good pass catcher but not getting the YAC which is typical of most non elite TE's but when you only catch 14 passes for 2.25 M... Yeah.... You aint gonna last long....I understand Vannett hasn't lasted in the NFL 6 years for his pass catching ability... But when you have 75 career catches in 6 NFL seasons is your route running really doing you much justice? He can run all the great routes in the world but if you can only give me 14 catches a year I aint giving you 2.25 m. His career high on catches is 29, after that it is 14 and those came far and few inbetween. That is less then a catch a game. 14 catches, 95 yards... If you take away his long of 19 it gets even worse.... If you want that 1-3 yard catch Nick Vannett is YOUR MAN!!!
He was worthless for us last year. Just being honest.

Last edited:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand most TE's other then a few elite ones don't get great separation. Guy had all the opportunity in the world and only caught 14 passes here. There is a difference between being a good pass catcher but not getting the YAC which is typical of most non elite TE's but when you only catch 14 passes for 2.25 M... Yeah.... You aint gonna last long....I understand Vannett hasn't lasted in the NFL 6 years for his pass catching ability... But when you have 75 career catches in 6 NFL seasons is your route running really doing you much justice? He can run all the great routes in the world but if you can only give me 14 catches a year I aint giving you 2.25 m. His career high on catches is 29, after that it is 14 and those came far and few inbetween. That is less then a catch a game. 14 catches, 95 yards... If you take away his long of 19 it gets even worse.... If you want that 1-3 yard catch Nick Vannett is YOUR MAN!!!
He was worthless for us last year. Just being honest.
He's only had 105 targets. So he's making a reception on his targets at a percentage of 71.4.
Here is a percentage of some of the elite receivers:
Kelce = 71.1%
Kittle = 71.5 %
Gronkowski = 64.9%

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure he was a good fit in the offense we are running, very similar to Philip Lindsay. Albert O. and Noah Fant fit much better.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's only had 105 targets. So he's making a reception on his targets at a percentage of 71.4.
Here is a percentage of some of the elite receivers:
Kelce = 71.1%
Kittle = 71.5 %
Gronkowski = 64.9%

Those guys are also catching a lot more passes and doing a lot more with them. It isn’t like Vannett is open and he is being missed. He doesn’t get open. All that tells me is that he has good hands which I would agree with. You can have the best hands in the world like Nate Jackson did here but if you can’t get open to “get targetted” then you aren’t doing your team much good. Take him back in Seattle. He is all yours! ;)

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those guys are also catching a lot more passes and doing a lot more with them. It isn’t like Vannett is open and he is being missed. He doesn’t get open. All that tells me is that he has good hands which I would agree with. You can have the best hands in the world like Nate Jackson did here but if you can’t get open to “get targetted” then you aren’t doing your team much good. Take him back in Seattle. He is all yours! ;)
Can we please have a 7th round pick in exchange? Maybe in 2041.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'll just close with this: y'all's QBs have been sucking since Peyton's second to last year, so it's no wonder they couldn't figure out how to work Vannett into the offense more efficiently.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'll just close with this: y'all's QBs have been sucking since Peyton's second to last year, so it's no wonder they couldn't figure out how to work Vannett into the offense more efficiently.
It's okay - you can sign him now.