• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Evans?

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a link on the ESPN.com Pirates' page indicating that Nick Evans has signed with the Pirates. Looks like another "see-if-it-sticks" pickup.

Evans signs with Pirates | New York Daily News

Sure would be nice to fire up the computer some morning and discover that the Pirates have picked up someone who has a good chance to make a difference.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nick Evans very well may be another inconsequential pick-up but I think I should put him and another player in perspective.

Evans is younger than Matt Hague. Evans has always been at a higher level at a younger age than Hague. Evans had better AAA stats last year than Hague. Evans has almost a full season's worth of at-bats in the big leagues. Evans seems to have greater power potential than Hague.

Basically we got a slight upgrade over Hague. Now I don't think that Hague was a potential solution at first base but I know that there are some who felt it was worth a shot. If you think Hague was worth a shot then you almost have to think that Evans is worth a shot too.

Aside from all that - it's not likely to be a significant roster pick-up.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Platoon player at best, but on a minor league pretty decent depth pickup.

He also doesn't have the crazy platoon split that Hague has, so he could platoon at first with Jones if necessary.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have an issue with another minor league contract. I bet come Spring training Evans and Fox will be in the battle like Fields and Marte did last year.

I just hope one can stick and help the team out off the bench.