• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NHL has given the Green Light to Run Goalies

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:burt:
Is it a bad move the NHL didn't suspend Lucic for his hit o
HTML:
n Miller?

Do you agree? I'd say he should have gotten 2 games.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right call. :sly:

:happyshake:
What if the shoe was on the other foot, and Thomas was the one that got hit?

Remember *Karma* almost always bites you in the ASS. :sad:

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll probably get grilled for this but if the goalie is going to skate that far out of his net to play the puck, I think he should be fair game. I liked the hit.

SouthPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll probably get grilled for this but if the goalie is going to skate that far out of his net to play the puck, I think he should be fair game. I liked the hit.

Really hate Boston for its dirty play at times but I thought the same thing, he's got more padding to break his fall anyway

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the decision. Goalies aren't trained to take hits and I feel they should be protected because of that. Sure, Miller went way outside the crease to play the puck, but he never possessed the puck, nor did he make an attempt to protect the puck. In which case I think it's okay to initiate body contact with the goalie. The charging minor wasn't even the right call since Lucic stopped his stride and glided into Miller. If Miller was a skater, that's a prefectly legal hit.

Miller pushed the puck towards the boards to keep it away from Lucic. Lucic saw Miller coming out and went immediately for the hit once he knew Miller would get to the puck first. So is it okay to hit a goalie if both his skates are outside the crease now? How far away from the crease is far enough to hit the goalie?

If I could make the rules, it'd be if the goalie attempts to use his body to protect the puck, while outside the crease, he is subject to body contact. (Wanna play like a skater, get hit like a skater.) Otherwise, if the goalie is making a play on the puck where he is simply playing the puck towards the boards or towards a teammate by one timing the puck (one time pass; stabbing at the puck), he is protected from body checks.

Miller did the right thing coming out to play that puck. He got to it first to prevent a Lucic breakaway. So that gives Lucic the green light to steamroll the goalie? BS imo.

If that's the case, next time a Shark has a breakaway, push that puck far enough to entice the opposing goalie to come out to make a play on it, then flatten him. See how stupid that is?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
next time that emo bitch should throw a pad stack at lucic

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that got me was that Lucic had plenty of time to avoid contact but he chose to follow through with the hit. However, I don't think that it was suspension worthy. I think that a two minute interference call was the right call.

I hate it when punishment is based on the outcome of the play.

"Two minutes interference. What's that, he's injured? 5 game suspension!"

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
as a former goalie, i have mixed feelings on the hit, i mean he did railroad him from behind but when you are out that far to play the puck you have to make an attempt to protect yourself as well.

Miller just went there and turned his back on a semi truck, sorry but you kind of have that coming

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that got me was that Lucic had plenty of time to avoid contact but he chose to follow through with the hit. However, I don't think that it was suspension worthy. I think that a two minute interference call was the right call.

I hate it when punishment is based on the outcome of the play.

"Two minutes interference. What's that, he's injured? 5 game suspension!"

I feel the same way. Injury shouldn't play a role on the punishment. Intent should. I also think Lucic could have held up, like you said. But he didn't, so there was intent to run Miller. It was very obvious that Miller would get to the puck first. Lucic could have read Miller's body language and knew that he was going to play the puck towards the boards. Make a quick turn towards the puck and shoot into a wide open net.

The only reason I think it's suspension worthy is because it was a hit on a goalie, who I think should be protected. I'm not even sure of the rules on goalie protection so I may just be expressing pure opinion here and not going by the actual rulebook.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Free game out of the blue paint and trapazoid, it's more of a unwritten rule to not hit the goalie out by the dots

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by 'unwritten rule' you mean 'the other team will beat seven shades of shit out of you' then I agree.

I can't believe no one on the Sabres responded (the half assed pushing and shoving afterward does not cut it). I would have been fucking livid at my team if I were Miller.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agree 10000000%... Outa that crease going for the puck you should be fair game just like everyone else on the ice... He shoulda did the Patrick Roy and deked around the player & skated it up to the red line haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 10000000%... Outa that crease going for the puck you should be fair game just like everyone else on the ice... He shoulda did the Patrick Roy and deked around the player & skated it up to the red line haha

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Miller should shut up and focus on his job whixh is stopping pucks, which he isnt so isnt doing

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting that Korky and Likewall have no issues with the hit, being you both play goalie. I see the league allowing hits on the goalie as another way of promoting offense, and another method of restricting a goalie's talents.

First it was the trapezoid, which restricted the goalie's talent of playing the puck to act as the 3rd dman. Now, the goalie is supposed to stand in his crease and let the breakaway develop, or risk getting blasted by a shoulder check if he decides to come out of the crease. He can no longer use his ability to judge whether he can get to the loose puck in order to breakup the breakaway chance (the Miller/Lucic play) and there's one less opportunity to use his skating skills.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting that Korky and Likewall have no issues with the hit, being you both play goalie. I see the league allowing hits on the goalie as another way of promoting offense, and another method of restricting a goalie's talents.

First it was the trapezoid, which restricted the goalie's talent of playing the puck to act as the 3rd dman. Now, the goalie is supposed to stand in his crease and let the breakaway develop, or risk getting blasted by a shoulder check if he decides to come out of the crease. He can no longer use his ability to judge whether he can get to the loose puck in order to breakup the breakaway chance (the Miller/Lucic play) and there's one less opportunity to use his skating skills.

If the goalie is fair game for the forwards to hit, then logic would suggest that the forwards would also be fair game for the goalie to hit.

And as a goalie, I would love that.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the goalie is fair game for the forwards to hit, then logic would suggest that the forwards would also be fair game for the goalie to hit.

And as a goalie, I would love that.

The thing is Miller turned his back to Lucic which made the hit worse, had he faced him and braced for a hit he would probably still be in the line up. Secondly of i were Lucic i wouldve atleast bumped miller regardless, i wouldnt have railroaded him but i wouldve still tried to put him on his ass.

The thing that is disappointing about it is Miller not taking any responsibility in the play either, you dont turn your back on a guy ever

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I personally blow ass Irbe style playing the puck, so you wont catch me that far out typing to stickhandle it... If Im skating out to prevent the breakaway, Im sliding sideways, pads stacked at the puck so I cradle it in my midsection and more often then not, the forward goes flying over me. So if I can basically clip him, then he should be able to hit me if im skating at it. Another thing I do is dive head first at it and cover it, usually ill just have it covered up enuff time to prevent the breakawy then shovel it somewhere open, or if I do happen to take a penality for delay of game, id rather have that then the breakaway...

I have never had an issue with goalies being checked. If someone wants to plow me while im in the crease too, then have at it, ill take the PP...

BTW jus a lil side comment, it seems the more "safe" and advanced equiptment has become, the more people get hurt wearing it... Why are guys such marshmellows this day & age? And why do so many guys have soft Lindros heads?