• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: NHL GDT - Monday, Jan 18

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They played the Oilers bruh.

Still, Oilers have the two of the best players attackers in hockey, and both were held in check and very quiet. Pretty impressive performance.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, Oilers have the two of the best players attackers in hockey, and both were held in check and very quiet. Pretty impressive performance.
Its a lot easier when they’re literally the only two players your defence needs to focus on lol

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a lot easier when they’re literally the only two players your defence needs to focus on lol

No doubt, and despite this fact, they still destroy a lot of teams.

Their defense has taken no steps forward this year. Too many turnovers and were often out of place when they were pressed. Their goalie was spastic and couldn't hold onto any of the shots which led to many second chances.

When the Oilers are on their game, it's entertaining to watch with Leon and Connor, but both of them were non existent against the Habs, as Petry constantly was picking Leon's pocket.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, and despite this fact, they still destroy a lot of teams.

Their defense has taken no steps forward this year. Too many turnovers and were often out of place when they were pressed. Their goalie was spastic and couldn't hold onto any of the shots which led to many second chances.

When the Oilers are on their game, it's entertaining to watch with Leon and Connor, but both of them were non existent against the Habs, as Petry constantly was picking Leon's pocket.
You’re gonna have to remind me when they destroyed a lot of teams. Even when those two play out of their minds it’s still usually a loss. The problems you mentioned aren’t new.

That’s not to say that the Habs aren’t good - they may be. But saying it’s “a statement” and they’re “a much better team” because they whacked around maybe one of the weakest overall teams in the entire league is rich by Amber.

/Then again I suppose part of his job is drawing in viewers so what’s he supposed to say, both teams are dogshit and you’re poorer for having watched this?

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re gonna have to remind me when they destroyed a lot of teams. Even when those two play out of their minds it’s still usually a loss. The problems you mentioned aren’t new.

That’s not to say that the Habs aren’t good - they may be. But saying it’s “a statement” and they’re “a much better team” because they whacked around maybe one of the weakest overall teams in the entire league is rich by Amber.

/Then again I suppose part of his job is drawing in viewers so what’s he supposed to say, both teams are dogshit and you’re poorer for having watched this?

The Habs most certainly made some big steps this off season, and we played well even against your beloved Leafs, but really screwed ourselves when Shea made it a 5v3.

Suzuki and Romanov are both playing great, Anderson has had a good start and the combo of Price and Allen between the pipes is showing very positive signs.

What I liked most about playing the Oilers is Price/Allen and Petry's ability to stop/slow down the best duo in the NHL.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Habs most certainly made some big steps this off season, and we played well even against your beloved Leafs, but really screwed ourselves when Shea made it a 5v3.

Suzuki and Romanov are both playing great, Anderson has had a good start and the combo of Price and Allen between the pipes is showing very positive signs.

What I liked most about playing the Oilers is Price/Allen and Petry's ability to stop/slow down the best duo in the NHL.
Y’all allowed 5 goals against the Leafs. For a team that is supposed to count their blue line as their strength I’m kinda perplexed as to how that would be seen as playing well :noidea:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, if they advertised Sportsnet's Dogshit Game Of The Week! - I might tune in.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y’all allowed 5 goals against the Leafs. For a team that is supposed to count their blue line as their strength I’m kinda perplexed as to how that would be seen as playing well :noidea:

Saying that without any context almost leads me to believe you didn't watch the game.

Leafs scored 5 goals, yes.

1 on a powerplay
1 moments later one a 5v3
1 on the first major gaff by Drouin this year with a horrendous turnover.
1 during a 3v3 OT that was extended because Drouin had the ultimate 'DOH" moment on a breakaway where he lost track of time and space and basically skated with the puck into the boards.

Needless to say, Drouin essentially gifted you 2 goals, and you scored on a 5v3. Things that can easily be corrected next time we play. Not saying they won't be, but saying that we had some mental errors for the first game of the year, and it's rather harsh to assume that's an overall assessment of a teams overall defensive capability.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is Holland is basically stuck right now - Nobody wants Koskinen with his inflated price tag and aside from McWonderful and Draisaitl, there's really very little value that can be retrieved via the trade route (I suppose you could argue RNH, but even he's not going to fetch you much). The team is terrible at 5-on-5 play and rode a unsustainable PP last season. What you are seeing so far this season are the true Oilers.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is Holland is basically stuck right now - Nobody wants Koskinen with his inflated price tag and aside from McWonderful and Draisaitl, there's really very little value that can be retrieved via the trade route (I suppose you could argue RNH, but even he's not going to fetch you much). The team is terrible at 5-on-5 play and rode a unsustainable PP last season. What you are seeing so far this season are the true Oilers.
I would take RNH, but with him going UFA at the end of the year, I certainly wouldn't trade any of our goalies for him straight up. Maybe RNH and the Oil's first for Korpi.

There's pretty well nothing else I would be interested in except maybe Caleb Jones. But he's not an NHL regular, having his brother around might just help get Seth Jones' head out of his ass as it has been lately. Maybe Holloway but he wasn't exactly a world burner at the WJHC and isn't lighting up NCAA at the moment.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying that without any context almost leads me to believe you didn't watch the game.

Leafs scored 5 goals, yes.

1 on a powerplay
1 moments later one a 5v3
1 on the first major gaff by Drouin this year with a horrendous turnover.
1 during a 3v3 OT that was extended because Drouin had the ultimate 'DOH" moment on a breakaway where he lost track of time and space and basically skated with the puck into the boards.

Needless to say, Drouin essentially gifted you 2 goals, and you scored on a 5v3. Things that can easily be corrected next time we play. Not saying they won't be, but saying that we had some mental errors for the first game of the year, and it's rather harsh to assume that's an overall assessment of a teams overall defensive capability.
Saying "Leafs only scored because of all of the mistakes our players made" kind of goes against the "we played a good game" argument lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'd say Holland was dealt this hand but he's been there for two offseasons now and other than the bad-for-bad swap of Lucic & Neal the only deals he's made to date of note were giving up John Marino for a 6th round pick and giving up two second rounders for Andreas Athanasiou, neither of which was either a good trade at the time and atrocious in hindsight.

Now picture instead he had eaten $1 mil of Koskinen's deal and tied two 2nd round picks to him. Someone probably bites on that. Then they have the flexibility to offer Markstrom an extra million per year and probably have their crease solved. You also have another RD option that allows you to float Larsson out there if you want (or not have to play Koekkoek on their top pair). Or you could have completed the Calgary moves and signed Tanev with the extra Koskinen money. Or or or.

No matter what they do it's literally always the wrong move. It's incredible, really.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying "Leafs only scored because of all of the mistakes our players made" kind of goes against the "we played a good game" argument lol

Again, first game of the year against the team I predicted to win the division, making a few bone headed plays that I expect to clean up.

But, I also had 2nd place being a battle between the Oilers and Habs, so unless something changes, I appear to be quite off on my assessment on the boys from Edmoton.

Regardless, quit pooping on my party :D

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, I also had 2nd place being a battle between the Oilers and Habs, so unless something changes, I appear to be quite off on my assessment on the boys from Edmonton.

You're not alone there, people fall for the sizzle of McDavid and Draisaitl, but the steak remains raw. The problem is if those two guys don't produce, the offense dries up and the team is a tire fire in their own zone.

Reactions: Eco