• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: NHL Games - 1-20-15

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for Rinaldo hate, but are you guys serious? Am I the only one that interprets the "Changed the game, man" quote as tongue in cheek? Doesn't anyone notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

You are, there is no way to take the quote in any favorable way towards Rinaldo.

He is a either a scumbag who is proud, and scumbag who is joking, or a scumbag/moron who is too stupid to not board people. In all three scenarios he is a danger to everyone on the ice, and should be gone for a long time.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are, there is no way to take the quote in any favorable way towards Rinaldo.

He is a either a scumbag who is proud, and scumbag who is joking, or a scumbag/moron who is too stupid to not board people. In all three scenarios he is a danger to everyone on the ice, and should be gone for a long time.

that's not really an 'or', he's definitely that.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I might argue that there's a fourth option: that he's just saying what everyone already knows.

I don't like the guy at all and think he should get punished (yet again) for this hit. But every single member of this board plus media guys all over the place have constantly railed on the league for their pathetic inconsistency and seeming unwillingness to really crack down on this garbage.

I think the league - internally at least, they'll no doubt claim otherwise - is more likely to be pissed about the fact that he's making fun of their justice system than they are about his seeming lack of remorse.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if it is tongue in cheek he's making light of the situation which I'm sure the NHL won't appreciate.

At best he doesn't think it's serious enough to not joke about it, at worst he's serious and thinks he did a good job. Either way the NHL doesn't like it.

That just frustrates me. The only people who should worry about his comments are fans and writers, not the league. Let the league worry about the hit and let the fans pull their hair out over something that seems to be said in jest.

Regardless, I'll welcome the suspension. Anything that leads to the end of Rinaldo

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I interpret the quote as him sarcastically saying he made a difference in the game when in reality he knows he is a bad player that hardly played. He isn't joking about hurting Letang IMO.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I interpret the quote as him sarcastically saying he made a difference in the game when in reality he knows he is a bad player that hardly played. He isn't joking about hurting Letang IMO.

I'm sure his viewpoint in the same as the Philly FO and coaching staff, the only explanation why they still employ him is they support his tactics of trying to injure people.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might argue that there's a fourth option: that he's just saying what everyone already knows.

I don't like the guy at all and think he should get punished (yet again) for this hit. But every single member of this board plus media guys all over the place have constantly railed on the league for their pathetic inconsistency and seeming unwillingness to really crack down on this garbage.

I think the league - internally at least, they'll no doubt claim otherwise - is more likely to be pissed about the fact that he's making fun of their justice system than they are about his seeming lack of remorse.

Could be right, but doesn't that set him up to get a longer suspension?

Why call out the organization that can ruin your career if it wants to? (Although we all know they won't)

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be right, but doesn't that set him up to get a longer suspension?

Why call out the organization that can ruin your career if it wants to? (Although we all know they won't)

I think you answered your own question.

Rinaldo has been in enough of these hearings to know what's likely to happen to him.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure his viewpoint in the same as the Philly FO and coaching staff, the only explanation why they still employ him is they support his tactics of trying to injure people.

Coming from a Penguin fan I'll take that with a grain of salt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That just frustrates me. The only people who should worry about his comments are fans and writers, not the league. Let the league worry about the hit and let the fans pull their hair out over something that seems to be said in jest.

Regardless, I'll welcome the suspension. Anything that leads to the end of Rinaldo

The league should worry about what he said because what he said elucidates a few key components of a punishment process.

He can confirmed that he either intended to hurt Letang or simply doesn't care that his reckless behavior led to an injury. He's eliminated the argument that he just made a mistake. He either did this on purpose, or he knowingly and willingly engaged in a behavior he is fully aware is dangerous. If it's the latter he may not have "meant to" hurt Letang, but he certainly had no qualms about such a result should it arise, which is basically the same in practice.

You punish someone as a negative reinforcement against an undesired behavior to the end of eliminating that behavior. If your punishments do not remove that behavior, as Rinaldo has said openly that they have not, and that he's fully aware of it, they need to be either harsher or different or both.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league should worry about what he said because what he said elucidates a few key components of a punishment process.

He can confirmed that he either intended to hurt Letang or simply doesn't care that his reckless behavior led to an injury. He's eliminated the argument that he just made a mistake. He either did this on purpose, or he knowingly and willingly engaged in a behavior he is fully aware is dangerous. If it's the latter he may not have "meant to" hurt Letang, but he certainly had no qualms about such a result should it arise, which is basically the same in practice.

You punish someone as a negative reinforcement against an undesired behavior to the end of eliminating that behavior. If your punishments do not remove that behavior, as Rinaldo has said openly that they have not, and that he's fully aware of it, they need to be either harsher or different or both.

His comments are exposing not just him, but the league - what he's basically saying is that he hasn't learned from his past mistakes and that the league hasn't learned from their past mistakes either

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where does Rinaldo confirm he intended to hurt Letang? Rinaldo is an idiot so of course he won't feel bad about the hit but that doesn't mean he tried to hurt Letang. If the NHL is looking at this hit and asking "But does Zac feel sorry?" then we've got bigger issues.

I don't think Rinaldo saying he has history is the 1st time the league will realize that suspending players doesn't change them. I'm all for him getting suspended a long time but I doubt player safety is amazed but his comment.

These comments are harmless. If it wasn't a noted idiot like Rinaldo this wouldn't be a story. Focus on the hit, and damn all of you for making me defend my least favorite Flyer.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His comments are exposing not just him, but the league - what he's basically saying is that he hasn't learned from his past mistakes and that the league hasn't learned from their past mistakes either

That's true. And literally no one would care if they learned all their lessons right now with this suspension. :nod:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@RinaldoZac 12h12 hours ago
I didn't intend to hurt Kris tonight. I'm very sorry I did. At no point did I ever "joke" about such a thing. These reports are untrue.

I'm confused because there's a video of his postgame comments.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That last part...I don't think he was joking, so he's right in that regard. No, no...he's merely a sociopath.

Last edited by a moderator:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it comes as much of a surprise, but Rinaldo has been offered an in-person, so we're likely looking 5 or more.

I'll stake all my vCash that it comes in below 10 though. NHL doesn't seem to want to challenge the arbitrator appeal option too much.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zac Rinaldo is an embarrassment - Broad Street Hockey

BroadStreet pretty much nails it, so...yeah.

Yeah, good writeup. Although I don't think the Flyers are embarrassed at all, there is an article that the players, Girioux, the Schenns, Grossman were talking about having a big blowup fight night the day before the game because it turned the season around last year when Emery fought Holtby. They most certainly are not embarrassed in any way.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why isn't this receiving any attention from Pronger's office? Too busy with Rinaldo, maybe? Del Zotto climbed the top rope to drop that elbow.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why isn't this receiving any attention from Pronger's office? Too busy with Rinaldo, maybe? Del Zotto climbed the top rope to drop that elbow.

I thought that hit was worse than Rinaldo's, honestly. Rinaldo threw a very dangerous, very illegal check, but he didn't target the head. Del Zotto appeared to there.