• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL news thread

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that a few years back when players were getting 6-7 year contracts but being cut after 3-4 years was tough. That was disingenuous. Some years back a young player I knew who played for SF received a big contract. I told him then ..... put some away, this is not always going to be there. A couple of years later he had a bad knee injury and was gone a couple of years after that.

Another guy I knew who went to MD and played for the Jets and Raiders would come and help coach our games. The kids loved him but they teased him because he had a Nissan Z up on blocks because he couldn't afford to fix it. Thankfully he found a way to use his previous career to make some money.

I don't mean this to be mean but fans here and elsewhere are big with the "he sucks and should be cut." They have no idea how hard these kids worked to even get a tryout. A few years ago a WR who went to Maryland got picked up as a UDFA. He didn't have NFL skills but he wasn't far. I rooted my ass off for him. He didn't make it but he got a chance.

This story doesn't fit here but I saw the same thing with a lot of local boxers from PG County. They worked their asses off trying to make it. A couple made it, you know of one from Palmer Park and not sure if you were still in MD when Bowe lived down your way .... they made it big. It was hilarious to walk into Giant and see Riddick shadow boxing with some old lady. smiling and laughing the entire time while having fun with her. Another guy I know was light heavyweight and fault Dwight Muhammad Qwai after starting 13-0. He lost big time. He passed a couple of years ago, he was punch drunk, broke etc. Hell of a nice guy with a punch that put you to sleep.
I was a pup when I lived in Maryland. For the most part I'm a Fairfax county kid. It is sad to see how some of these athletes have trouble transitioning to real life. Once Haskins passed, I vowed to stop name calling and bashing some of the players in the fashion that I used to. I get it.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of your post, but players for years have signed backloaded contracts to help the team out and as soon as it's time to collect, that player gets cut.

NFL is so dangerous and the life span is so short. Going out there on a one year deal is a gamble many aren't willing to take. I get that Kirk did it, but I don't fault players who don't.

To your point, what Trent is doing and what Hassan Reddick are doing is crazy.
It's (Trent & Reddick) just the evolutionary process in player's contracts to become more like certain high end earners in the country. The next step will be escalation clauses.

For those of you who aren't familiar, here's a real life recounting on how they work...
The general work force usually gets a COLA bump in pay averaging somewhere between 3 and 3.5% annually. I retired in 2013, my last contract included a minimum 15% annual increase that could have gone to 20% depending on certain factors. After announcing my intent to retire, I was offered a new contract with negotiable annual escalators beginning at 23.5% and maxing out at 28.75% annually in an attempt to get me to stay another 3 years. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's (Trent & Reddick) just the evolutionary process in player's contracts to become more like certain high end earners in the country. The next step will be escalation clauses.

For those of you who aren't familiar, here's a real life recounting on how they work...
The general work force usually gets a COLA bump in pay averaging somewhere between 3 and 3.5% annually. I retired in 2013, my last contract included a minimum 15% annual increase that could have gone to 20% depending on certain factors. After announcing my intent to retire, I was offered a new contract with negotiable annual escalators beginning at 23.5% and maxing out at 28.75% annually in an attempt to get me to stay another 3 years. I hope that helps.
I'm all about players getting their money. I will say, it's a good thing the NFL has a hard cap. Look at baseball.

If Trent feels he deserves to be the highest paid at his position every year he steps on the field, God bless him. He's a HOF. Slippery slope though.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that clause is a solution that is equitable

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all about players getting their money. I will say, it's a good thing the NFL has a hard cap. Look at baseball.

If Trent feels he deserves to be the highest paid at his position every year he steps on the field, God bless him. He's a HOF. Slippery slope though.
I not sure that a hard cap works for everyone in the league, especially if one of the ideas behind it is maintaining veteran players.
Rookie contracts are pretty much locked down by percentage. They were necessary after Sam Bradford signed his rookie deal for 78M in 2010. Now the team owners are talking about capping QB salaries. Pretty soon they will get around to addressing aging vets like Trent Williams.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I not sure that a hard cap works for everyone in the league, especially if one of the ideas behind it is maintaining veteran players.
Rookie contracts are pretty much locked down by percentage. They were necessary after Sam Bradford signed his rookie deal for 78M in 2010. Now the team owners are talking about capping QB salaries. Pretty soon they will get around to addressing aging vets like Trent Williams.
I don't want the NFL to become the MLB. That's my worry. These NFL owners are making more money than they can spend. Hard capping QB's is punishing the players to keep owners in check. Not sure I like that.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want the NFL to become the MLB. That's my worry. These NFL owners are making more money than they can spend. Hard capping QB's is punishing the players to keep owners in check. Not sure I like that.
The NFLPA will have a lot to say about all of this. Hopefully, it won't get too messy and interrupt play.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want it to be like the NBA where the players run the league and that could become a danger.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want it to be like the NBA where the players run the league and that could become a danger.
There is a flip side to that too Sportster. Seeing LeBron jump from team to team is a little annoying but he's doing what he has to do for player empowerment.

On the flip side, I don't want the NFL to be in a situation where a handful of owners in the five or six biggest football markets run the league player acquisition wise.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe that there's a chance that the NFL becomes anything like MLB nor the NBA. I am convinced that it cannot maintain the status quo which is a reflection of early America. Maybe the league folds before a desire to adjust takes hold, maybe not :hope:, but change is definitely on the horizon and all of it will be funded by fans, followers, and supporters.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe that there's a chance that the NFL becomes anything like MLB nor the NBA. I am convinced that it cannot maintain the status quo which is a reflection of early America. Maybe the league folds before a desire to adjust takes hold, maybe not :hope:, but change is definitely on the horizon and all of it will be funded by fans, followers, and supporters.
Feels that way. You think it's bad now? It's going to cost an arm and your first born to watch the Skins if you live out of market. The product is too good and the league knows it.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feels that way. You think it's bad now? It's going to cost an arm and your first born to watch the Skins if you live out of market. The product is too good and the league knows it.
Is it probable that a fan, follower, supporter revolt is also coming?
Few, if any spend necessary monies on entertainment. Discretionary funds can only be stretched so far before it becomes too much.
There are some of us here who remember paying to see several acts for a set amount. That generation was replaced by a one show one price group and today we have people paying exorbitant amounts of money for access for a vastly watered down product or what amounts to you get what you get.

So let me ask the board... how much is too much to pay to watch a professional football game, especially your favorite team or teams?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer for the owners is simple…stop overpaying. If a player doesn’t want to honor their contract for another team, don’t hire him on yours.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it probable that a fan, follower, supporter revolt is also coming?
Few, if any spend necessary monies on entertainment. Discretionary funds can only be stretched so far before it becomes too much.
There are some of us here who remember paying to see several acts for a set amount. That generation was replaced by a one show one price group and today we have people paying exorbitant amounts of money for access for a vastly watered down product or what amounts to you get what you get.

So let me ask the board... how much is too much to pay to watch a professional football game, especially your favorite team or teams?
I would pay almost any amount to be able to watch the Skins. I live in Houston. Just being honest.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would pay almost any amount to be able to watch the Skins. I live in Houston. Just being honest.
Just for clarity... did you mean any amount of your discretionary funds or would you dip into monies set aside for necessities if it came to that?

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for clarity... did you mean any amount of your discretionary funds or would you dip into monies set aside for necessities if it came to that?
Okay my limit to watch all 17 games would probably be 1,000. Me and my brother would probably both drop 500 a piece.

After that I'm searching the web.....facebook, or a huge sports bar that has multiple screens and all the games.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will get the vcee box pay a one time price of 300 dollars and away with all my cable and streaming services and I can watch anything I want for free legally

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I think about, if I was going it alone......I'd probably still pay 1K by myself to watch the Skins every Sunday. Can't hear shit in a sports bar.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not lay out $1,000 to watch Washington play 17 games .... I think.

I thought about the bar thing to but don't drink too much or you'll be paying the same.

The NFL knows it has priced a lot of people out of season tickets or even a couple of single game tickets, hence streaming and pay to watch which they figure fans can afford.

I can afford the tickets, I just refuse to pay the prices coming soon. Concerts are the same, I paid $200 to sit in the nosebleeds to see a concert 3 years ago. So far that is my limit. I go listen to local bands now.