• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Hall of Fame Finalist

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Taylor is 7th on the all-time sacks list and I think has the record for INT's and TD's by a D-Lineman. He played the run really well, too.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaDainian Tomlinson (running back for the Chargers and Jets)
Brian Dawkins (safety for the Eagles and Broncos)
Kurt Warner (quarterback for the Rams, Cardinals, and Giants)
Joe Jacoby (tackle for the Redskins)
Terrell Owens (receiver for the 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys, Bills, and Bengals)

A goof but Owens belongs.

So does Ty Law imo but not this year

I thought Terrell Davis was finally in last year??

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like (in no order):

Bruce (beast YAC and YPC WR)
Mawae (best Center for the longest time)
Owens (top 10 WR, his attitude/personality was just unlikable, but whatever)
Tomlinson (beast)
Dawkins (top 10 all time safety IMO)

Only person on the list that HEAVILY annoys me is Terrell Davis. Yah he had 2,000 yards but if Davis is a HOFer Shaun Alexander should be and IMO Shaun Alexander is NOT (course neither was the overrated Jerome Bettis but whatever). Davis had some great seasons before getting destroyed by an injury but Shaun Alexander was destroyed by a foot fracture as well, and Holmgren stupidly kept marching him out there because Shaun said Jesus or whatever would heal him.

If Davis got in and Alexander did not BULLSHIT. Alexander had 40 more TDs and 3,000 more yards than that guy. Davis shouldn't even be in the poll let alone that high on it.

Well let's see...Reasons Terrell Davis deserves to be in the HOF.

Had maybe the best 3 year stretch of any RB in NFL history.
MVP and Super Bowl MVP during that time
2 Time Super Bowl Champion

12 players in NFL history have won both Super Bowl MVP and MVP. Davis is the only one that is HOF eligible still not in.
He is tied with Emmitt Smith for most 100 or more yards rushing in a game in the playoffs with 7 in his career. Davis played in 8 playoff games compared to 17 for Smith.
He has the highest career playoff rushing average at 5.6 yards per attempt. Most yards per playoff game.

He wasn't the only player to have their career shortened. Gale Sayers had just as short of a career and is in.

On the list of top-20 rushing performances in the playoffs. TD's name appears 3 times. No other player appears more than once.

His 6413 yards in the first 4 seasons of his career is 2nd in league history only behind Eric Dickerson.

Davis is only 1 of 11 RB's to earn 3 1st team All-Pro honors. Priest Holmes is the only other one not in the HOF that is eligible. The others were voted in on their 1st ballot.

Davis joins Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, and Earl Campbell as the only players in NFL history to have won back to back AP Offensive player of the year awards.

So yes Davis' career was cut short by injury. That doesn't take away from the fact that he was by far the best RB in the NFL for about a 4-year stretch. It doesn't take away from the fact that he matched quite a few HOF players in what they were able to do in a career in just 7 years in the league. If we are talking best of the best being what the HOF is about then Davis falls into that category.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Dawkins
Don Coryell
Jerry Jones
John Lynch
Kevin Mawae
LaDainian Tomlinson
Terrell Owens

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT
Dawkins
Faneca
TO
Mawae
TD

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well let's see...Reasons Terrell Davis deserves to be in the HOF.

Had maybe the best 3 year stretch of any RB in NFL history.
MVP and Super Bowl MVP during that time
2 Time Super Bowl Champion

12 players in NFL history have won both Super Bowl MVP and MVP. Davis is the only one that is HOF eligible still not in.
He is tied with Emmitt Smith for most 100 or more yards rushing in a game in the playoffs with 7 in his career. Davis played in 8 playoff games compared to 17 for Smith.
He has the highest career playoff rushing average at 5.6 yards per attempt. Most yards per playoff game.

He wasn't the only player to have their career shortened. Gale Sayers had just as short of a career and is in.

On the list of top-20 rushing performances in the playoffs. TD's name appears 3 times. No other player appears more than once.

His 6413 yards in the first 4 seasons of his career is 2nd in league history only behind Eric Dickerson.

Davis is only 1 of 11 RB's to earn 3 1st team All-Pro honors. Priest Holmes is the only other one not in the HOF that is eligible. The others were voted in on their 1st ballot.

Davis joins Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, and Earl Campbell as the only players in NFL history to have won back to back AP Offensive player of the year awards.

So yes Davis' career was cut short by injury. That doesn't take away from the fact that he was by far the best RB in the NFL for about a 4-year stretch. It doesn't take away from the fact that he matched quite a few HOF players in what they were able to do in a career in just 7 years in the league. If we are talking best of the best being what the HOF is about then Davis falls into that category.
Great post, one minor correction: Kurt Warner is also Super Bowl MVP and league MVP and is not in the HoF. His first year of eligibility was last year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post, one minor correction: Kurt Warner is also Super Bowl MVP and league MVP and is not in the HoF. His first year of eligibility was last year.

Whoops thanks for the correction. I think most are thinking he gets in at some point.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's who I would vote in:

LT - no brainer.
Kurt Warner - like Davis, his career was cut short by injuries, but when he was healthy what he accomplished was so great that I think he deserves to go in.
Don Coryell - the guy is basically responsible for the pass heavy NFL we have today. That's deserving of the HoF in my opinion.
Terrell Davis - see Kurt Warner. Also, TD was the most dominant post season running back of all time, and it's not particularly close. That's worthy of selection to me.
Joe Jacoby - a key member of the Redskins famous Hogs offensive line.

Controversial opinion - Terrell Owens does not belong in the Hall of Fame. He put up great stats, but he also tore teams apart with his antics. Three teams (the Eagles, Cowboys, and Bengals) all improved their records the season after they released Owens. A Hall of Fame coach (Bill Parcells) wanted nothing to do with him. The Eagles got so fed up with him they paid him to sit on their bench for 4 games. Those are not the marks of a Hall of Famer.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voted. :thumb:

1. LT
2. Warner
3. Owens
4. Faneca
5. Dawkins

This is pretty much my list. Faneca was a beast for a long time, and I always try to have at least one lineman in my votes for stuff like this. Warner is perhaps the most controversial, because his peak was short, but he took two teams to the SB and for a time was the NFL MVP. Plus he went from bagging groceries to top of the world, so great story.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty much my list. Faneca was a beast for a long time, and I always try to have at least one lineman in my votes for stuff like this. Warner is perhaps the most controversial, because his peak was short, but he took two teams to the SB and for a time was the NFL MVP. Plus he went from bagging groceries to top of the world, so great story.

So question for those thinking Warner should be in...What is the difference between Warner and Davis? Both shortened careers. Both 2 Super Bowls. Both MVP. Both considered huge playmakers in the playoffs especially.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note... Bummed Hines Ward didn't make the cut. There's quite the log-jam at WR so its understandable. Fat chance he would get voted in over guys like Owens or Bruce anyway. It'll take some time, but Hines will eventually get in.
Come up with a stat for receivers actually blocking defenders and he'd be a shoe in.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put these guys in:

LaDainian Tomlinson - the walk-in
Brian Dawkins - an easy one imo
Alan Faneca - 8, 9 PBs and 5 or 6 All Pros
Kevin Mawae - see above
Joe Jacoby - should've been in long ago
Terrell Owens - over 15yrs, averaged 1,000 yds and 10TDs per season
Morten Andersen

The closest next guy is John Lynch, but I think he gets edged out. Sadly, I think Terrell Davis and Tony Boselli and even Kurt Warner have the same problem--they were great but not for long enough. Don Coryell could make it in as a contributor and coach, but I don't think he's a HOFer, and particularly not in this class.

Last edited:

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you raise a fair point cdumler7. There are not many differences between Warner and Davis. One would be that Warner was a QB I guess, and that he had success with two teams, but that's not much. I think both would be controversial selections IMO.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So question for those thinking Warner should be in...What is the difference between Warner and Davis?
Nothing really but IMO they should only get in if selected as the senior finalist down the road.

the era played in matters, and I don't think comparing stats to the Namath era guys holds water

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing really but IMO they should only get in if selected as the senior finalist down the road.

the era played in matters, and I don't think comparing stats to the Namath era guys holds water

And honestly to me if Davis doesn't get in this year he will have to go the Senior Finalist path. Next year's HOF class is ridiculous so no way he is getting in with that group. This is one of the weaker groups in recent memory so if he stands a chance this is the year.

And I agree comparing stats is not the best way to go about things. That is why I pointed more towards the awards and accomplishments of TD compared to others that are already in the HOF at the RB position. Now some of his stats do line up though as he broke a lot of RB records of guys from much earlier in NFL history when the running game was the biggest part of the offense. So even when the league was starting to switch to a more pass happy league TD stood out for showing just how important the run game still was in the league.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KW and LT for sure...

Will LT pout on the sideline if he doesn't get in, just like when he played?
6a0115709f071f970b0120a93d4463970b.jpe

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And honestly to me if Davis doesn't get in this year he will have to go the Senior Finalist path. Next year's HOF class is ridiculous so no way he is getting in with that group. This is one of the weaker groups in recent memory so if he stands a chance this is the year.
just an opinion and I could be wrong but I think Drew Pearson is the only member of the all decade team (70's) not in the HOF. Great player on those Dallas teams and many times Staubach threw less than 20 passes in a game