• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now yes I know I know the season is still going on so why be looking that far into the future? Well I always enjoy talking draft and Todd McShay just put up his new mock draft and just wondered if anybody had seen that and if so what they thought of his choice for the Broncos?

For those that haven't seen it he mocked Zach Martin an OT from Notre Dame. He is a player that can play inside and outside when needed. Is a tough worker from what I understand.

My personal opinion is that of I don't question that McShay knows his college players. He is not my favorite draft analyst but he isn't the worst out there either. It is a pick like this though that makes me question whether he actually watches NFL football. An OT of all positions? Right now I look at it as next year we will have Clady back, Franklin, and Clark all signed. Plus we drafted a guy last year in the late rounds as a developmental player in Painter. I just don't see the need at the OT position. Then looking at the guard position there is a chance that we would need someone depending if the team resigns Zane Beadles or not. Now if we are going to go guard though the guy I would rather have is Cyril Richardson of Baylor. The guy is 30 lbs bigger, is a true road grader, plus has been voted OL of the year twice now. He makes more sense to me than Martin at this point.

Now if I was going off of what McShay has done in this draft if I were the Broncos is to trade up and get a corner like Dennard from Michigan State. He is expected in the mid 20's so might only cost us something like a 4th round to trade up for him. Another that might cost more but might be worth it would be Ha Ha Clinton-Dix of Alabama. The guy is the clear cut best safety in the draft and has the size and speed to really be a disruptive player against those pesky TE's that keep destroying us.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not that knowledgeable about all of the guys in the draft, but I definitely agree that DB in the first makes more sense than OT. I have also seen a bit of both Dennard and Clinton-Dix and they both look like they could be very good players.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the first pick should be best available from one of these positions: corner, safety, or middle linebacker. Going tackle in the first round makes no sense at all.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the first pick should be best available from one of these positions: corner, safety, or middle linebacker. Going tackle in the first round makes no sense at all.

I would also throw in a pass-rushing DE. You can never have too much pass rush.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At this point a 1st round OT would ride the bench even behind Clark most likely (having a better year than I expected at this point). Only position that maybe just maybe I could see this guy fitting is that LG spot if Beadles leaves but like I said there are better players who have played the guard position and would make our OL a force to be reckoned with especially in the run game.

I agree Corner, Safety, or MLB is the way to go. This draft thankfully is deep at Corner. Right now Dennard is my favorite (realistic pick) of this draft for the Broncos. He fits well with our press man scheme and just watched a few of his games and the guy just rarely is out of position. There are so many plays that he is just step for step with a receiver and almost seems to become more a receiver on the play than the receiver himself. There are a couple others that are first round talent that I wouldn't mind the Broncos getting either. Now as for Safety and MLB unfortunately they don't look that deep this year. The top guys for those positions most likely (now given this is early in the evaluation process so they could drop) will be top 15 or so picks. Although this is the year of the quarterback so some of the top defensive players could fall just like they did last year to us so who knows.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending of course what happens in FA,etc., I think next yrs draft would fit the BPA scenario with Lbs,Dbs and Ol being the focal positions.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps we should also look at QB. Osweiler did little to convince me he's the QBotF for this franchise.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps we should also look at QB. Osweiler did little to convince me he's the QBotF for this franchise.

I am not that impressed either, but then again you never know. When he does take over, this team will go from being this dynamic pass offense to a more balanced philosophy (I think.) When I say that too, it does not mean they will be 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but rather more of a stretch run, bootleg action offense.

Remember it is this type of offense that actually wins it all in the end. While we all get enamored by this type of offense that Peyton Manning brings, let us not forget that these types of offenses usually come up short at some point in the play offs.

From Marino, to Fouts, etc etc. Let us not forget that Brady's worst statistical seasons (2001-2004) the Pats were 10-0 in the play offs, including 3 SB wins. Their last SB victory had a 1600 yard rusher on it. He never passed for 4000 yards nor 30 TDs in any of the SB victory years. In his top 7 statistical seasons, he is 7-7 in the play offs and no SB victories.

Anyway, you get the point. It is just a fact that we all tend to ignore.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am willing to actually give Osweiler a chance rather than dump him after half a game. The dude was pressured quite a bit, having raiders in his face right after the snap.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am willing to actually give Osweiler a chance rather than dump him after half a game. The dude was pressured quite a bit, having raiders in his face right after the snap.

Thing is, Raiders were stinking it up badly. Osweiler should have been able to lead the team to more than just a FG. Did Denver also have 2nd string O-Line in there? They cut to the Chiefs game after halftime, so didn't see everything that happened.

That said, his offseason has only been so-so as well. One thing I do see is a decent completion percentage, but that can be misleading at times.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, Raiders were stinking it up badly. Osweiler should have been able to lead the team to more than just a FG. Did Denver also have 2nd string O-Line in there? They cut to the Chiefs game after halftime, so didn't see everything that happened.

That said, his offseason has only been so-so as well. One thing I do see is a decent completion percentage, but that can be misleading at times.

Watching the game now and at least in the 3rd quarter Os had the starting OL. Now he didn't have Moreno, Decker, or D. Thomas playing with him. He pretty much played in the 3 TE set most of the 2nd half with Thomas, Dressen, and Tamme as his top targets. The Broncos also went pretty conservative running the football obviously more than with Manning in the game.

Honestly after this game don't know if I really learned much about Os. They played a pretty darn conservative game plan running and for the most part only allowing him to throw the underneath routes as to not give the Raiders an easy turnover. He definitely looked out of sync but most back ups get very little playing time during the week so it is understandable that he didn't look in a good rhythm.

I guess I am an optimist and still hold out hope that he can continue to develop behind Peyton.