• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Konz over Glenn at either C or RG. Glenn has the obscene potential to become a dominant guard, but Konz is just so sound that I think his floor is a lot higher than Glenn's.

glenn seems to have the feet to eventually play LT. both should be solid wherever they go for 10+ years

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No decision: Browns must trade up for RG3
February, 29, 2012
11:22 AM ET
By Jamison Hensley

QB Robert Griffin III has all the intangibles that the Browns could put to good use immediately.There's a growing sense that the Cleveland Browns should trade up and draft Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. I'm here to tell you that the Browns must do it.

If they want an offensive playmaker. If they want a face for the franchise. If they eventually want to win a Super Bowl.

There are arguments against Cleveland giving up a handful of valuable picks for the Heisman Trophy winner. For each one, I will give you a convincing rebuttal on why RG3 is the Browns' only option at quarterback, from that golden arm to those priceless Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles socks.

RG3 is more athletic than most NFL quarterbacks and he's faster than most running backs. His wit is extremely quick as well. "I hope somebody falls in love with me, other than my fiancee," he said when asked about the Browns possibly trading up to No. 2 to get him.

Let the Miami Dolphins sign Matt Flynn. Let another team panic and draft Ryan Tannehill in the top 10. Griffin is different than both of those quarterbacks. He's special. He has that "it" factor that turned around the Baylor football program and figures prominently in any NFL reclamation project.

I know Flynn threw for 480 yards and six touchdowns in one game last season and Tannehill is a better fit for the West Coast offense. But RG3 brings charisma, excitement and plenty of crazy socks (yes, even Hello Kitty ones). He'll not only be the face of the franchise. He'll be the mouthpiece, too.

The drafting of RG3 would sell tickets. Actually, I think he would go out and sell tickets himself if you ask him. In yesterday's SportsNation poll, 42 percent of the nearly 8,000 voters think RG3 should be the Browns' starting quarterback in 2012.

The Browns have been irrelevant in the NFL for too long. That's what happens when you lose 97 games in nine seasons. RG3 brings bite back to the Dawg Pound.

"It would be fun to compete with Colt [McCoy]," Griffin said. "I played him one year in college, and he beat us. Maybe I'd have to go out there and beat him. Other than that, it would be an honor to go to Cleveland, to go anywhere. As far as the team goes, they just need that motivation, they need that inspiration. They've got the coaches in place to be successful."

Of course, moving up two spots from No. 4 to draft RG3 comes at a steep price. The St. Louis Rams, who hold the second overall pick, are seeking a deal similar to what the San Diego Chargers got for the rights to 2004 top overall pick Eli Manning, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Manning was selected by the Chargers with the No. 1 overall pick in 2004 and traded to the New York Giants for two first-round picks, a third-round pick and a fifth-round choice.

That's a teeth-gnashing amount of picks to give up for the Browns, who have the fourth and 22nd overall picks in this year's first round. They are not one quarterback away from winning a championship. Cleveland needs draft choices to rebuild an offense that ranked 29th in yards and 30th in points scored.

But the Browns need someone to build around. And, if Cleveland doesn't do this, another team like the Washington Redskins gladly will. Why? Teams don't win Super Bowls without franchise quarterbacks these days. In fact, six of the past seven Super Bowl winners started quarterbacks that they selected in the first round.

Just like the Browns, the Giants were coming off a 4-12 season when they handed over those picks for Manning in the 2004 draft. Two Lombardi Trophies later and the Giants aren't second-guessing the decision.

To be honest, there really isn't a decision for the Browns when you look at the alternatives.

Cleveland could sign Flynn, a longtime backup for the Green Bay Packers, in free agency. Instead of draft picks, it would cost the Browns a $50 million contract to someone who's made two career NFL starts. Flynn doesn't have prototypical size or elite arm strength. He's a timing passer who makes decisive reads but won't be able to deliver the throw on a 25-yard comeback route.

If the Browns wanted a quarterback like that, then they should just stick with McCoy. Of course, the Flynn scenario allows the Browns to keep the fourth overall pick and presumably use it on Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon. The problem is, Blackmon isn't on the same level as A.J. Green, the wide receiver who was selected No. 4 last year, or Julio Jones, whom the Browns passed on last year. Blackmon also doesn't possess the speed that the Cleveland wide receiver group needs.

Another direction the Browns could take is trading back a few spots from the No. 4 to select Tannehill in the top 10 and acquire more picks. Tannehill is the third-best quarterback in this draft but he comes with his own share of questions. He started only 19 games at Texas A&M because he spent his first 2 1/2 seasons there as a wide receiver. Tannehill is as big of a gamble as Flynn in terms of experience.

The other option is sticking with McCoy as the starter for another season. Supporters of McCoy say you can't judge him properly because he doesn't have a supporting cast. I just get the sense that some don't want to start over again at quarterback, which is understandable. The Browns have had 16 starting quarterbacks since rejoining the NFL in 1999, which averages out to a different quarterback every 13 games.

McCoy won't lead a team to a championship, and it wouldn't matter if his top receiver was Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. He can't throw an accurate deep ball in a league where passing downfield is essential. McCoy is a limited quarterback, whereas RG3 offers limitless potential.

The Browns will only have themselves to blame if they lose out on RG3. Cleveland can give the Rams what no one else can — the fourth overall pick. That would allow St. Louis to address a major need, whether it's drafting Blackmon or offensive tackle Matt Kalil.

Drafting RG3 will require more work in free agency. The Browns have to spend money to improve at wide receiver (perhaps Pierre Garcon) and running back (if Cleveland makes the right call and parts ways with Peyton Hillis).

Still, the addition of RG3 provides a foundation for the offense and a hope for the future.

Lombardi reported that Mike Holmgren told the fan base the organization was all in for RG3 with a better offer on the table than the redskins but the deciding factor was Fisher's relationship with Shanahan. I wonder how much of this is true and how much is PR damage control?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Miami not done QB shopping?
9:42AM ET
Miami Dolphins

The Miami Dolphins were in the mix for seemingly every QB to hit the free agent market thus far this offseason, but failed to secure the rights to the No. 2 pick (and Robert Griffin III), Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn and now -- most likely -- Alex Smith. But they're not coming away from the FA market completely empty-handed, as they added veteran passer David Garrard on Monday night.

"It's going to be a great competition, and I'm all about that," Garrard said after the signing was announced, per the Associated Press. "I'm going to do my best to make sure it's me on opening day."

And against whom will he be competing? Well, there's Matt Moore already in town, but Garrard acknowledged that the club informed him that there's a possibility of another passer added to the fold, either through free agency or the draft. Popular speculation has the Dolphins attempting to grab Texas A&M passer Ryan Tannehill, although they may have to trade up to No. 3 overall in order to prevent him from landing with Cleveland.

In a post responding to the news, James Walker of the ESPN AFC East blog assesses where Garrard fits in for Miami:

- Tim Kavanagh​

James Walker
What is Garrard's role?

"This is yet another wild and zany move by the Dolphins. It's hard to tell what the front office is thinking these days. The plan seems to change daily. If there is a silver lining, it's that signing a veteran such as Garrard most likely rules out Miami also signing Alex Smith or trading for Tim Tebow. Both options would have been mistakes. It appears Miami will go with Matt Moore, Garrard and potentially a rookie draft pick at quarterback in 2012."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vikes not drafting Kalil?
9:24AM ET
Minnesota Vikings

We generally caution that comments from NFL front office types concerning interest in particular players need to be taken with a grain of salt, and that idea is certainly in play during this, the league's silly season. It's essentially a foregone conclusion that the Top 2 picks of the NFL Draft will be Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, but at selection No. 3, the Minnesota Vikings are apparently torn on their pick. Or at least that's what they'd like everyone to believe.

According to Bob Sansevere of the Pioneer Press, Vikings GM Rick Spielman has indicated that there's a very real chance he could take LSU CB Morris Claiborne instead of USC OT Matt Kalil with that pick.

Again, it's a good time to calibrate your smoke-screen detector if you haven't done so recently, because it would be a significant surprise if Kalil is not the Vikes' pick here. But, in order for there to be a market for the pick, other teams have to believe that the Vikes are willing to take someone else (Claiborne or WR Justin Blackmon, for instance).

- Tim Kavanagh​

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Just as an FYI, but I really think that Jayron Hosley would be a perfect fit in your system and hope he ends up on your team. He is a ball hawk and a hitter and would be a great player on the bay.

I agree with this. If he's there in the 2nd he'd be a steal IMO.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Not a steal, just a worthy/solid pick at that respective spot. If he falls to the 3rd round, then that would be regarded as a steal.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think so too, it's just his tackling that worries me. Fangio seems to really value physicality from the CB position, which I don't see from Hosley.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikes not drafting Kalil?
9:24AM ET
Minnesota Vikings

We generally caution that comments from NFL front office types concerning interest in particular players need to be taken with a grain of salt, and that idea is certainly in play during this, the league's silly season. It's essentially a foregone conclusion that the Top 2 picks of the NFL Draft will be Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, but at selection No. 3, the Minnesota Vikings are apparently torn on their pick. Or at least that's what they'd like everyone to believe.

According to Bob Sansevere of the Pioneer Press, Vikings GM Rick Spielman has indicated that there's a very real chance he could take LSU CB Morris Claiborne instead of USC OT Matt Kalil with that pick.

Again, it's a good time to calibrate your smoke-screen detector if you haven't done so recently, because it would be a significant surprise if Kalil is not the Vikes' pick here. But, in order for there to be a market for the pick, other teams have to believe that the Vikes are willing to take someone else (Claiborne or WR Justin Blackmon, for instance).

- Tim Kavanagh​

Wow, this is huge. If they do in fact take Claibrone then Kalil could potentially slip all the way to number 6. The Browns have Joe Thomas and the Bucs are set as well. Are the Rams ready to give up on Jason Smith?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Wow, this is huge. If they do in fact take Claibrone then Kalil could potentially slip all the way to number 6. The Browns have Joe Thomas and the Bucs are set as well. Are the Rams ready to give up on Jason Smith?

I don't buy it for a second. Not even the Vikings are stupid enough to pass on Kalil.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely. I had him ranked as a first round prospect before this season. We would be absolutely stacked at CB if t his was the case. I still think i would take Jared Crick over Hosley if they were both there. DE is a bigger need than CB right now IMO.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Random thought
Not advocating a team of stoners, but Randy Moss and Mario Manningham have both fail drug tests. Damarlo Belcher has also failed a drug test -- just sayin there's a chance we draft him late.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random thought
Not advocating a team of stoners, but Randy Moss and Mario Manningham have both fail drug tests. Damarlo Belcher has also failed a drug test -- just sayin there's a chance we draft him late.

Well, they are coming to San Fran. They know where the good stuff is at. :yo:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More on the Rams' WR plans
9:54AM ET
St. Louis Rams

Heading into this offseason, many believed that the St. Louis Rams needed to address their WR corps via free agency, the draft or both. The position was a problem last season, and they were set to lose Brandon Lloyd, their best WR from 2011. Thus far, they're remained very quiet; though they've expressed some interest in certain FAs -- and continue to host players such as Steve Smith -- they have not made the splash signings as they have at other positions, such as CB Cortland Finnegan, C Scott Wells and DL Kendall Langford.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch notes that while there are many players left in the free agent market, the top targets -- the elite players that can make an instant impact -- have all landed elsewhere. So while the team may target some from the second- and third-tier of FA WRs, players like Braylon Edwards, Plaxico Burress and Smith may not make as much of an impact as a Vincent Jackson or Pierre Garcon would have.

Fortunately, there's still the draft, and the Rams will be picking No. 6 overall in the first round. Depending upon what happens with picks 1 through 5 (and really, picks 3 through 5), they may have their choice of any WR in the entire draft class. And even if Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd winds up in Minnesota, Cleveland or Tampa Bay, the other will likely be available. If they go another direction at No. 6, it's possible that they will attempt to move back in to the bottom of the first round using some of the draft pick capital they acquired from Washington in the trade for the No. 2 overall pick.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Browns avoiding WR at No. 4?
11:47AM ET
Cleveland Browns

With the Cleveland Browns unsuccessful in their attempt to trade up to the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL Draft (and the rights to either Robert Griffin III or Andrew Luck), many have opined that their new directive will be drafting one of the top WRs in this year's class, either Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd. But nothing is a sure thing at this time of the NFL year, and there's a new wrinkle in the proceedings, per a new report from Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository.

"[Browns GM Tom] Heckert and team president Mike Holmgren would rather not burn a No. 4 pick on a wideout," Doerschuk writes, though it's unclear if this is a factual statement or more the scribe's opinion. Nevertheless, Doerschuk points to the success of WRs recently drafted in the Top 5 -- Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson and A.J. Green -- as evidence as to why the Browns should consider taking Blackmon or Floyd if they believe that either of the two has potential to be in that class.

The other option for Cleveland would be to target another position at No. 4 and hope to get a good wideout with their second first-rounder (or later on in the draft). It's possible that a market could develop for Cleveland's pick, and they could pick up more draft capital as they did last season when the Atlanta Falcons wanted the No. 6 pick.

This scenario -- where Cleveland takes a non-WR -- would certainly be the one preferred by the St. Louis Rams, who are in need of help at the position.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Buffalo's adjusted draft plans
11:15AM ET
Buffalo Bills

After the Buffalo Bills signed DE Mario Williams, GM Buddy Nix hinted that this did not mean that they would not use their first-round pick (No. 10 overall) on another DE this April. However, after adding another player at the position on Wednesday with the signing of Mark Anderson (the Buffalo News has all the details), they may elect to look at other positions with that pick.

One idea is to use the pick to solidify the offensive line. 2011 starting LT Demetrius Bell has not yet been re-signed, and it's possible that the Bills could have their pick of every OT in this year's class not named Matt Kalil.

Another idea is to target a WR to pair with Steve Johnson, who was re-signed prior to the start of the unrestricted free agency period. Depending upon what teams like the Cleveland Browns and St. Louis Rams do ahead of them, they could have some fine options available there as well.

In the end, it would not be surprising to see Buffalo simply draft the best player available. They did so in 2010 by drafting RB C.J. Spiller with Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson already rostered, and to a degree did so again in 2011 by taking interior D-lineman Marcell Dareus when they already had Kyle Williams and could've used the pick on a DE.

- Tim Kavanagh​

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft is in about a month. I think it's time to start a new draft thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.