• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL’s First Internet-Only Broadcast

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's yet another step in the death of cable/satellite. Sports are the only reason I still pay for cable. There are so many different streaming services that you can use. If they can get their toes wet and work out the kinks with a dogshit game like this one I'm all for it. If they can get this to work pretty seamlessly then it's only a matter of time before you can stream games through a service (like Netflix or Amazon Fire etc.). I'm all in.

I cut the cord last Jan and no one in our house has hardly noticed. In fact I watched the SB via antenna, and the picture was substantially clearer than when I had Directv, which I didn't even realize was possible.

Over The Air OTA

Roku on each TV

Hulu, Amazon, Netflix.

Looking at the Pats schedule I should be able to get about 8-10 of the games at home, and I'll be attending about 2, 1 in Dallas 1 in New England. The cost of sitting at the local sports place a few miles down the road will be worth the overall savings from the NFL package.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I can't wait to see the referee announce that the Bills just performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this right.

A game at 8am between two garbage franchises? And we're supposed to be excited about this? :L
I was thinking the same thing. Won't this game be nationally televised anyway?

BTW- Anybody thinking they will eventually stream several games a week at NO COST is on serious drugs.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same thing. Won't this game be nationally televised anyway?

BTW- Anybody thinking they will eventually stream several games a week at NO COST is on serious drugs.

They already do world wide, just not here in the US, and it will happen here too.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it will. People like yourself also said networks won't break away from cable and sat. bundling, and yet here we are and it's happening.
I certainly never said that. In addition, I never said NFL games won't be streamed, I just said it won't happen for free.

Hbomb

Mobile Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,923.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's yet another step in the death of cable/satellite. Sports are the only reason I still pay for cable. There are so many different streaming services that you can use. If they can get their toes wet and work out the kinks with a dogshit game like this one I'm all for it. If they can get this to work pretty seamlessly then it's only a matter of time before you can stream games through a service (like Netflix or Amazon Fire etc.). I'm all in.

Ditto.

saspursfan

Trolling Is Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been streaming all of my NFL games for years. PC hooked right to my TV as well as modified Fire TVs on each set running Kodi. To Hell with watching the games they force upon me in my local area, I watch what I want for free and I've been doing so for years. Who needs Sunday Ticket when DigiTele Sports is free?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly never said that. In addition, I never said NFL games won't be streamed, I just said it won't happen for free.

I must have misread it somewhere by you. No I don't think they will be free either, but they will be streamed.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been streaming all of my NFL games for years. PC hooked right to my TV as well as modified Fire TVs on each set running Kodi. To Hell with watching the games they force upon me in my local area, I watch what I want for free and I've been doing so for years. Who needs Sunday Ticket when DigiTele Sports is free?

PM me on how to do it. Haven't gotten that far yet with your cable cut system set up yet.

saspursfan

Trolling Is Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PM me on how to do it. Haven't gotten that far yet with your cable cut system set up yet.
I sent you a "conversation" I guess that's what a PM is on this forum...

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it, much appreciated.

And I"m not up to speed on all the lingo either.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports programming (actually TV programming in general) on demand will start to gain traction in the future...all these battles over revenue and carriers (such as Comcast, Directv) dropping certain channels etc. imo is setting the stage for content to start going to direct to the consumer.

Of course we know this about revenue...once a content source (say Discovery Channel) sees that they can make more money going directly to consumers via streaming they will kick the carriers to the curb.

On the NFL...they're just dipping their toe in the water and making some incremental revenue in the process...if Yahoo can generate enough revenue to via advertising to offset the cost we're going to see more and more of this.

You better believe the major carriers and their institutional stock holders are watching this on pins and needles.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports programming (actually TV programming in general) on demand will start to gain traction in the future...all these battles over revenue and carriers (such as Comcast, Directv) dropping certain channels etc. imo is setting the stage for content to start going to direct to the consumer.

Of course we know this about revenue...once a content source (say Discovery Channel) sees that they can make more money going directly to consumers via streaming they will kick the carriers to the curb.

On the NFL...they're just dipping their toe in the water and making some incremental revenue in the process...if Yahoo can generate enough revenue to via advertising to offset the cost we're going to see more and more of this.

You better believe the major carriers and their institutional stock holders are watching this on pins and needles.

It's already started. HBO has begun seperation via Apple TV, though I suspect it will be made avaialable to Roku shortly.

CBS is the first major network that has broken away. (I have it now.)

saspursfan

Trolling Is Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If there is one thing Yahoo doesn't know how to do it's generate money. Their "news" is a joke and their writers don't even proofread their stories. Now that they have nixed the comment section, I think they can throw in the towel with news because that was the only thing that kept people going back. . I just don't see this streaming of sports games as a winner for them. Like many of you have already said, it will include two teams that nobody cares about.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cut the cord last Jan and no one in our house has hardly noticed. In fact I watched the SB via antenna, and the picture was substantially clearer than when I had Directv, which I didn't even realize was possible.

Over The Air OTA

Roku on each TV

Hulu, Amazon, Netflix.

Looking at the Pats schedule I should be able to get about 8-10 of the games at home, and I'll be attending about 2, 1 in Dallas 1 in New England. The cost of sitting at the local sports place a few miles down the road will be worth the overall savings from the NFL package.

I would so do this but I would have to give up NHL games. Specifically the Bruins..Pretty sad that I pay all of that money to a garbage cable company just for Bruins games. I might have to rethink that one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is one thing Yahoo doesn't know how to do it's generate money. Their "news" is a joke and their writers don't even proofread their stories. Now that they have nixed the comment section, I think they can throw in the towel with news because that was the only thing that kept people going back. . I just don't see this streaming of sports games as a winner for them. Like many of you have already said, it will include two teams that nobody cares about.

I think you're drilling down into the Yahoo pc of this and that's another topic, but yahoo may not be Google or Apple when it comes to making money, but they are worldwide brand worth billions...they're finding some revenue somewhere other than streaming content.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's already started. HBO has begun seperation via Apple TV, though I suspect it will be made avaialable to Roku shortly.

CBS is the first major network that has broken away. (I have it now.)

Agreed it is...slow but sure.

A lot of households are still running internet speeds that make streaming cumbersome, but over time we're going to see more and more people heading that direction...just before I cut the cord with DTV...I had a lengthy conversation with a customer service type manager (they call multiple times trying to retain you) and he admitted they are starting to lose customers to streaming content.

We have the Roku streamer and it's getting more use now. It might 10-20 yrs out but I think the NFL will be going direct as soon as they can exceed the billions they're getting from the networks.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed it is...slow but sure.

A lot of households are still running internet speeds that make streaming cumbersome, but over time we're going to see more and more people heading that direction...just before I cut the cord with DTV...I had a lengthy conversation with a customer service type manager (they call multiple times trying to retain you) and he admitted they are starting to lose customers to streaming content.

We have the Roku streamer and it's getting more use now. It might 10-20 yrs out but I think the NFL will be going direct as soon as they can exceed the billions they're getting from the networks.

Agreed.

What put it over the top for us is that the wife and I work, obviously, so we don't watch much tv anyways, and the girls hardly watch anything that isn't available online.

Made a list of all the favorite shows then gave them check marks if the cord wasn't needed, along with new cost, Netflix etc, and it was a no brainer.

I'm still stunned by the picture quality from the antenna for the local stations. Nearest major stations is over 50 miles (Fayetteville to Raleigh) and the picture is still perfect. And that's with the antenna sitting on the back deck. (Have to borrow some roof jacks to get it to where it needs to be. And time to do it.)