• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next year's outlook...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As always, predicting the following year before the PO are over is a guessing game, but I was wondering if there are any guesses what dougie will do this offseason?

I dont see any of the current top 6 being moved, nor any of the five dmen (I pencil in braun as I think he's a pretty sure bet to be in the top 6 next year). After all that, the sharks have about 11M in cap space. That leaves only these questions (and my answers/predictions):

1. Setoguchi? Trade? If so for what? Resign? If so, how much and how long?
--> Dougie likes him and I think he'll resign for 2 years, 2-2.5M per year. it seems that usually how the sharks roll. pavs and clowe signed their second contracts for 2 years around that number. That would put seto at 26 when it's up and with 1 more RFA year. Then comes the big money (4M+) if it works out (like what pavs and clowe get).

2. Wally and husky are likely goners (or if one is resigned, he will be #7 dmen I would think. So, will dougie shoot for a top 4 dman by trade or UFA? Resign white? Dougie did hint that white could be a long term option if the PO's go well...
--> Dougie will resign white, who will want to stay cuz SJ is such a great place to play. I would guess the price will be roughly 3.5M per year, though it could be 3 or 3.1 if dougie does well. That would round out the top 6 nicely though, I think. Not perfect (a real top pairing guy would be nice), but still solid and alot better than huskins and wallin in your top 6.

3. Goaltending. Niity is signed, but will they keep him? Will they try to resign niemi or give stalock a shot since if niity is still here, then its one or the other?
--> I hope niity goes away and niemi stays long term, but I'm just not sure here. Dougie cant afford to resign seto, white, and niemi without moving mitchell and maybe niity. However, that could happen, and I have no clue of the severity of stalock's injury. It could be a career ending one which would obviously jumble things...

4. Bottom line forwards: Less intrigue here, but then again Nichol, Eager, Wellwood, and Mayers are all UFA's, so will dougie resign them?
--> I see dougie keeping wellwood for 900k. Maybe eager for 1M. Nichol surely he wants for 900k too. Beyond that, not sure, maybe call ups like wingels, mashinter, or Macintyre (who has yet to look to much like a pro).

5. The farm: Who is gunna get a shot at the big show? Who is coming up from jr's who might jump to pro?
--> those going pro I believe include Doherty, Wrenn, Viedensky, and Varone. All 4 have been pretty good as far I can tell statistically. Doherty is 6th in the OHL in D scoring. He's pretty minus but has apparently been pretty good for a so-so team. Viendensky is 13th in the WHL in scoring and 2nd in +/-. Wrenn transfered midyear from UD, but has been a beast in portland with a +21 in like 18 games. Varone, since being dealt to Erie has emerged in the top 25 in OHL scoring (Around 10th overall in pts per game). Seems that the sharks could get a few guy jump up quickly much like demers did.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson has rarely (never) attracted the big name free agent and I have no reason to believe that will change. I would be ok keeping Huskins in a #7 role for cheap. Seto is a big question mark. Every time he's hot, like now, it makes me think he's turned a corner. Then he gets injured, goes into a slump, and he's talked about as trade bait. Gotta see what happens in this year's playoffs if they make it. Either way, I hope DWil shops Heatley. That $7 contract over the next 3 years is looking mighty ugly.

Nimesis23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its a little early for this kind of thread but what the hell I'll indulge anyways. I personally think that if the team fizzles out like it has the past 4-5 years in the playoffs in the 1st or 2nd round then Doug and the ownership group needs to think long and hard about continuing on with this same defining group (Joe, Patty, Heater) of offensive players. I kind of see the team having an informal civil war right now. There's the guys who are extremely talented but lacking in heart (Joe, Patty, Heatley) and then there's the guys who may not be as talented but have tons of heart (Boyle, Clowe, Pavelski, Couture, etc.). We've given Joe and Patty years and years to prove themselves in the playoffs, and if they fail this time, I really think Doug needs to think about moving in another direction. Obviously, I doubt this will happen, but I personally believe it should. If nothing else, they should deal Heatley to create cap room for better defensemen and/or harder working forwards.

As far as the goaltending goes, I'm not really sure what they're going to do about that. I have said on these boards before that I was always puzzled by the decision to go with two outside goaltenders (Nemo and Nitty) instead of relying on the farm, because pretty much the only really high quality players this team has ever drafted have been goaltenders. (Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Toskala, Hedberg) It always seemed to me like the team had a plethora of quality goaltenders in the farm, yet when it came time to replace Nabby they went outside the organization. Now, with Stalock's borderline career-ending injury and Greiss' struggles in Europe, and Nitty not being healthy, it seems more and more like they're going to have to re-sign Niemi and go with him as the starter of the future. I'm not really sure if any of the other guys behind Stalock like Sexsmith, Sateri, and the others are NHL-caliber. Anyone have a better idea about this?

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its a little early for this kind of thread but what the hell I'll indulge anyways. I personally think that if the team fizzles out like it has the past 4-5 years in the playoffs in the 1st or 2nd round then Doug and the ownership group needs to think long and hard about continuing on with this same defining group (Joe, Patty, Heater) of offensive players. I kind of see the team having an informal civil war right now. There's the guys who are extremely talented but lacking in heart (Joe, Patty, Heatley) and then there's the guys who may not be as talented but have tons of heart (Boyle, Clowe, Pavelski, Couture, etc.). We've given Joe and Patty years and years to prove themselves in the playoffs, and if they fail this time, I really think Doug needs to think about moving in another direction. Obviously, I doubt this will happen, but I personally believe it should. If nothing else, they should deal Heatley to create cap room for better defensemen and/or harder working forwards.

Completely agree and well put. You were way more diplomatic about it then I am capable of right now, but I think your take on this is spot on. From day 1 I thought the Healty deal was a complete mistake. And after last year, I've written Joe off as a coach and team killer, despite all his physical talents and gifts. So, I was kinda where you're at last year. I fear that even if the Sharks take another early exit in the playoffs (which I am guessing will happen), the core of Joe, Heatly, and Paddy will remain unchanged. I just don't see Doug either willing or able to make the hard and tough decisions. A perennial division champ and playoff team isn't necessarily a horrible thing. Maybe mediocrity is ok for Doug. Or even if not ok, its better then taking the risks associated with blowing the team up and potentially becoming a cellar dweller. Can't fault that, unless you're looking to win a championship.

Oh well, I am finally finding ways to like the team this year, mostly due to the efforts of Niemi, Couture, Clowe and Boyle (need somebody I can get behind). Nice little win streak going and I am enjoying the games.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Sharks win the cup this year, all I care about is repeating!!!!!!