• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

next two beers purchased

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Northern Brewer was running a sale yesterday, had the Irish Stout, Nut Brown, and Chinook IPA extract kits on sale for $14.92 each. I got the stout and IPA kits. The stout I will probably just brew by the directions.

The IPA though I am going to change again. Last time I added 3 lbs of the NB Marris Otter malt extract and changed the hop schedule by adding Mosaic and Citra and changing most of the adds to later in the boil. This time I plan on brewing by the recipe, but then adding mango's to the secondary for a couple weeks.

I still need to figure out how much mango to add and how to sanitize it before I rack over on top of it, but as of right now that is the plan.

Couple questions, what prevents the fruit from going bad while it is in the fermenter? Also, will the mango's be edible when the beer is removed from them?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when I've done fruit beers in the past, I usually pasteurize it before putting it in the fermenter (only done a couple of fruit beers)

not sure what prevents the fruit from going bad, but judging by the way the fruits I have used looked when they came out of the fermenter, I would not eat them

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're using fresh mangoes, then you could pasteurize them yourself, but I'm not sure how to do it myself. If out of a can/jar, then they should already be pasteurized. I guess you could take some sanitizing solution and let the cut fruit sit in it for a minute before adding them. Shouldn't take too much of the juices out and would help sanitize the cut surfaces of the fruit. I would take the safer route and use mangoes out of a jar. I've used plenty of fresh fruit while mixing with moonshine, but that is so high in alcohol content it really doesn't matter.

The alcohol content already present in the partially fermented wort and the hops serve as a preserving agent along with the positive pressure created by the CO2 will help keep bacteria away.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a Mango PA about a year ago and it turned out pretty damned good. Per wartyone's advice, I peeled, washed, and cut several slits in each mango, and then froze them for a couple weeks. I didn't cut it up or puree it. Some people do that I think. Freezing it kills off alot of the bacteria and breaks down the cell walls so that the the juice and natural mango flavor is better incorporated from the beer. If you have a muslin bag or something, add the mangoes in that before you add to the secondary. Much easier to get out and the beer still clears fairly well.

I used 1 lb of mangoes (about 1 mango) per gallon for 5 days. It was a very good mango flavor, but not too much..If I do it again I may even go with a little more mango for a little bit longer.