• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New US News University Rankings are out

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier in this thread you argued Usc was helped by its football and athletics programs but now you are arguing that the big 12 and sec are hurt by them. Do football programs help out hurt?

Why does the acc have the most top 50 schools despite being largely southern?

Why were sec schools so poorly ranked even before any element of human perception (voting) introduced into the formula?

Why don't you have an avatar?

Why don't you have a team logo?

Why did you apparently ignore the the SEC teams in the top 25?

Why are you asking so many questions?

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am new here and didn't create one yet.

I just didn't set it up yet. I'm a ucla fan if you're curious.

I don't understand what you mean with your third question.

I am looking to learn more information.

WoodyHayes1951

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Time schools in the Deep South:

Duke
UNC-Chapel Hill
Vanderbilt
GIT
UGA
UF
UVA

That's a pretty solid list.

What bias?

Who doesn't think Duke U is as good as MIT or U of Chicago just because they are "Southern"?

BUCS_72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well the Big12 and SEC get a bad rep because of the Northern view of the South being dumb, racist, etc. I honestly think schools in Texas, Southeast, Oklahoma, etc. get downgraded simply because they are in the south. Add the problem that people see these universities as football factories. In fact the more the SEC wins on the field, the more they will likely take hits on Academic rankings.

Dumb and racist are usually mutually exclusive. Most white racists are smart. The guy who invented the transistor, Shockley, to make all of this possible was a racist.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These rankings are a joke. Here's a link to an article that tells how easily the rankings are manipulated. They are about as credible or reliable as preseason football rankings.
News: 'Manipulating,' Er, Influencing 'U.S. News' - Inside Higher Ed

Make sure you read the comments and note that not one of the assertions made in this article are anything but anecdotal (at best) and the "attempt" to contact faculty was done less than 12 hours prior to the article being published. While I don't necessarily agree with everything Barker has done, he has done a superb job of updating the infrastructure, attracting quality professors and researchers, and highly increasing the value of my degree from Clemson.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sort of confused how Auburn isn't a fancy school name. It sounds very old British (a la Harvard or Duke) and is definitely an elitist word (i've yet to meet very many poor people who say they have Auburn hair). If you didn't know Auburn was a state school, wouldn't you expect it to be a fancy private university?