• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New qualifying format

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1622217_10151975096933801_1602424122_n.jpg

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
say what? I don't get it. So even though you run the fastest time in RD 1, it doesn't mean you're on the pole? The fastest time in RD 3 determines the pole sitter?

Surely they jest about putting Daytona into that garbage. They will lose more folks if they fuck with the traditional Daytona speedweek.

See ya nascar.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50-gOeBilc]Scandal;Patty Smyth - Goodbye To You - YouTube[/ame]

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Daytona 500 qualifying is going to be the same as in previous years. And the Eldora truck race will not use this new format either.

The July race will be the one under the new qualifying rules.

And yes, the fastest lap in round 1 means only that you make it to round 2. So you have to be fastest in round 3 to be on pole. Indycar and F1 have already gone that route. I think it makes qualifying more exciting, for sure.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
say what? I don't get it. So even though you run the fastest time in RD 1, it doesn't mean you're on the pole? The fastest time in RD 3 determines the pole sitter?

Surely they jest about putting Daytona into that garbage. They will lose more folks if they fuck with the traditional Daytona speedweek.

See ya nascar.

Scandal;Patty Smyth - Goodbye To You - YouTube

I don't know if it's just the drivers saying the PC thing or not, but they seem to be pretty happy with the changes that have been made to qualifying.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one thing for 13 (IndyCar probably averages 26 cars per event, & breaks the Q1 sessions into 2 groups) to 22 (F1) cars to do this on road/street courses (IndyCar does 1 car/4 laps on ovals), most of which are 2+ miles in length, but to put 43 cars out on an oval that's only 1.5 miles is taking quite the risk of asking for wrecks IMO.

... But maybe that's what NASCAR is hoping for? :rollseyes:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Single car qualifying is as pointless as can be these days. It has nothing to do with how fast a car is when it is on the track with other cars. There will be wrecks I am sure but competition is what fans want to see. Not time trials.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This new shit is for the birds. Qualifying has been just fine since it's inception. Brian France has managed to lose most of the older race fans' interest, which was NASCAR's bread and butter, and now he's simply trying any gimmick he can come up with to lure younger fans. He is only alienating the heart of the fan base and will see his ratings drop even further. He's as lost as a fart in a whirlwind.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if it's just the drivers saying the PC thing or not, but they seem to be pretty happy with the changes that have been made to qualifying.

It could be them saying the PC thing or it could be that they have been sold on it and believe it could be good for the sport. The drivers these days are as cookie cutter as the tracks, imo. When's the last time there was a driver that openly and directly called nascar on their bullshit? These kids just don't have the stones of their predecessors.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, its not that big of a deal. Lots of other racing series use the format and it does make for a good show. I wouldn't worry too much about overcrowding either. It's basically like practice, except shorter. Plus, I'm sure teams will work with each other avoid ruining each other's laps. For example, I could see HMS and SHR working together, sending each of their cars out one or two at a time for 2 laps. Teams do this in practice already. Should make for some interesting strategy initially if you're into that kind of thing.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, its not that big of a deal. Lots of other racing series use the format and it does make for a good show. I wouldn't worry too much about overcrowding either. It's basically like practice, except shorter.

Exactly. And they cannot change tires at all during qualifying, so most guys will likely be turning just one lap per session, unless they screwed it up (or got screwed). You'll just have the guys who are going to get bumped turning an extra lap or 2. I think after 3-4 weeks, most will prefer this format.