• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Never been more excited for a Bye Week - Time for perspective

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realized the other day, in all of the years I've been a Hokie football fan (started my freshman year - 1998) I've never seen a season like this.

46 was telling me that he (who was in College Park this weekend) was talking to a Maryland fan who was dealing with the immediate post-crushing-loss-to-NC State-on-a-missed-chip-shot-FG depression. 46 was trying to console this person by saying that Tech was having having a challenging season as well. But then he added "... and we're not used to losing."

From the reaction 46 described, it sounded like the implications of this afterthought weren't lost on the Terp fan.

But 46 is right... for the almost two decades now... we're not used to losing. It's pretty amazing really. You have to go back to the implosion of 2003 to see anything similar to what we're faced with right now, and even that season included one of the program's signature wins (Miami in 2003). Since 1992, our last losing season, we've won less than 9 games only FOUR TIMES! And we've never won less than 7.

That's fucking unreal. I know this season continues to suck (and yet we could still go to and win the ACCCG unbelievably) but the pain should remind you all of how amazing it has been for the better part of 20 years.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realized the other day, in all of the years I've been a Hokie football fan (started my freshman year - 1998) I've never seen a season like this.

46 was telling me that he (who was in College Park this weekend) was talking to a Maryland fan who was dealing with the immediate post-crushing-loss-to-NC State-on-a-missed-chip-shot-FG depression. 46 was trying to console this person by saying that Tech was having having a challenging season as well. But then he added "... and we're not used to losing."

From the reaction 46 described, it sounded like the implications of this afterthought weren't lost on the Terp fan.

But 46 is right... for the almost two decades now... we're not used to losing. It's pretty amazing really. You have to go back to the implosion of 2003 to see anything similar to what we're faced with right now, and even that season included one of the program's signature wins (Miami in 2003). Since 1992, our last losing season, we've won less than 9 games only FOUR TIMES! And we've never won less than 7.

That's fucking unreal. I know this season continues to suck (and yet we could still go to and win the ACCCG unbelievably) but the pain should remind you all of how amazing it has been for the better part of 20 years.

Well said. VT has had a great run the last 20. I think most of us are spoiled and have been tricked into thinking that the staff would never have a down year. VT will be back...

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said. VT has had a great run the last 20. I think most of us are spoiled and have been tricked into thinking that the staff would never have a down year. VT will be back...
I think a lot of hokie fans feel entitled to 10 win seasons, ACC championships and a national championship.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of hokie fans feel entitled to 10 win seasons, ACC championships and a national championship.

I wouldn't necessarily say 'entitled.' There are obviously a lot of disgruntled fans, but I do give most of them a pass because of how VT has consistently been unable to win big games. Sure the 10 win season streak is cool and the bowl game streak is pretty awesome, but how many other big time programs on those 'lists' we're on don't have a National Championship? Maybe Boise, but they have more BCS wins and MUCH better win percentage in big games, already. I would welcome a 6, 7, or 8 win season here or there if we were getting a legit shot at an NC every couple of years.

I don't think fans should have to pare back their expectations because VT was virtually non-existent in football 20 years ago. I think fans should be reasonable, but I also don't think it is reasonable that we should come to expect that we're going to drop (at least) a game every season that we shouldn't, lose a big time match-up, have an offense(line) that's suspect, and struggle to win a bowl game.

I'm as big a Beamer fan as you'll find, but it's the same story year after year with Virginia Tech football and no one is held accountable. It's unfortunate.

Last edited by a moderator:

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bottom line .. despite having some great offensive players and having some good offensive years, our offense has been mediocre at best since 99. Vt is a top 25 program despite its shortcomings in money and recruiting ability and location. We have still managed to dominate the acc against teams who should have been better...look at clemson, unc, fsu...ourdomination is over...If we had a top 25 offensive mind teamed with bud foster , we would have at least played for another natty by now...815k..the collective salary of ocain, Stiney, and newsome...with ocain'spring eating up over 600k..not saying they're the worst coaches ever, but for that kind of cheddar, we can do much better than that...and for anyone who says that CFO doesn't have to...he gets paid 2.5 large because we fans pay for merchandise, overpriced tix, you name it...so yeah--the fans deserve the best shot that he can give us..they won't be on the streets for long..they're experienced capable coaches at some level...but not bcs top 25'ish program level...I'd be ok with ocain staying..I think his hands are tied and his work with quarterbacks is respectable...Stiney .. Not so much but he shouldn't be an OC ...I don't think a new OC would keep either..and newsome will go..little doubt in my mind about that..he had his shot..didn't make good on it

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This year would never have happened if Beamer had only done what was needed after Newsome and Stinespring were given ample chance to show what they could do. I think that 3-4 years is more than enough but yet he's allowed Newsome to fail for 6 years and Stinespring for 10 years. I really would like to know what is going through Beamer's head while he's watched the offense all these years. Surely it's not what he tells the media.