• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nets continue to build via bad contracts

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they screwed the Blazers last year by signing Crabbe for a silly contract. And now they get Crabbe while dumping the horrible Andrew Nicholson they got from the Wizards.

The Nets are a few years away from being competitive, at best, but they did some pretty good work this offseason to build their team to be at least not a speed bump.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its a pretty solid move considering their circumstances. Their new front office has a direction and they're going for it. Much needed for that franchise after years of being rudderless.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they screwed the Blazers last year by signing Crabbe for a silly contract. And now they get Crabbe while dumping the horrible Andrew Nicholson they got from the Wizards.

The Nets are a few years away from being competitive, at best, but they did some pretty good work this offseason to build their team to be at least not a speed bump.

What's the point?

I know they have no pick in 2018, but they will in 2019. Getting Russell was a good move. Carroll and Crabbe? Not so much.

All these contracts will be on the books for years.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the point?

I know they have no pick in 2018, but they will in 2019. Getting Russell was a good move. Carroll and Crabbe? Not so much.

All these contracts will be on the books for years.

The point is to build a competitive team. Crabbe is getting paid too much but he is one of the better 3 point shooters in the game.

They got Crabbe while dumping the terrible Nicholson contract they got from Wizards who gave them a 1st round pick for his contract.

The Nets are unlikely to be anything more than a bottom dweller for the next couple of years. Tanking helps one of their competitors.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is to build a competitive team. Crabbe is getting paid too much but he is one of the better 3 point shooters in the game.

They got Crabbe while dumping the terrible Nicholson contract they got from Wizards who gave them a 1st round pick for his contract.

The Nets are unlikely to be anything more than a bottom dweller for the next couple of years. Tanking helps one of their competitors.

For one year.

Taking on these contracts makes them a 25-30 win team for the next 3.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one year.

Do you think there is even a possibility that this team will be more than a 30-35 win team in the next 3 years no matter what?

They have no draft pick next year. The only young rising player they have is Russell and maybe Crabbe. Their next chance at a superstar player isn't till 2019. Carroll only has 2 more years on his contract. And after 2019 both Mozgov and Crabbe will be expiring contracts.

The Nets cupboard is pretty barren. And tanking doesn't get them anywhere. Barring the highly unlikely possibility of the Nets being able to bring in top tier talent, I don't see how they could possibly do better right given their situation.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one year.

Given that they are giving up another 1st round pick this upcoming draft, I think they're just trying to tread water as much as possible. They knew they weren't going to make a splash in free agency.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think there is even a possibility that this team will be more than a 30-35 win team in the next 3 years no matter what?

They have no draft pick next year. The only young rising player they have is Russell and maybe Crabbe. Their next chance at a superstar player isn't till 2019. Carroll only has 2 more years on his contract. And after 2019 both Mozgov and Crabbe will be expiring contracts.

The Nets cupboard is pretty barren. And tanking doesn't get them anywhere. Barring the highly unlikely possibility of the Nets being able to bring in top tier talent, I don't see how they could possibly do better right given their situation.

No I don't.

But I think they are better off being a 20 win team.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I don't.

But I think they are better off being a 20 win team.

They would be better off if they had their draft picks. But how do you get your fans on board for 20 win seasons that have no possibility of yielding the team young talent but will instead build one of their primary competitors?

I just don't see how you can realistically do that and still get people to come to the arena.

IMO, the Nets situation is about the same as the Knicks and they haven't had a No. 1 pick in 2 years.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would be better off if they had their draft picks. But how do you get your fans on board for 20 win seasons that have no possibility of yielding the team young talent but will instead build one of their primary competitors?

I just don't see how you can realistically do that and still get people to come to the arena.

IMO, the Nets situation is about the same as the Knicks and they haven't had a No. 1 pick in 2 years.

As a 6er fan, I would think you of all people would be able to answer that.

Gaining 10 wins or so for the next 2 years only limits the upside of the '19 pick they will eventually get. The 6ers are in the spot that they are in now because the did exactly the opposite. They gave away every asset they had as soon as they knew that player wasn't a franchise star who would fit their window.

If Brooklyn fans are smart, they will understand that anything they do to marginally improve
In the short term will only hurt them down the road. Everything they do now needs to be with a mindset of building a nucleus to compete in 2022. None of these moves help them get there (except maybe getting Russell).

Anything more short term than that, the Nets are kidding themselves.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything the Nets can do to make that BOS pick drop down is fine by me.....
Lakers and Nets could wind up with 30+ wins.
Given the strength of the 2018 draft, there will be plenty of tanking from the other teams.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a 6er fan, I would think you of all people would be able to answer that.

Gaining 10 wins or so for the next 2 years only limits the upside of the '19 pick they will eventually get. The 6ers are in the spot that they are in now because the did exactly the opposite. They gave away every asset they had as soon as they knew that player wasn't a franchise star who would fit their window.

As a Sixers fan, I remember how difficult it was to follow the team DESPITE the fact that they had a clear plan. If the Sixers went through that while ALSO giving up 3 straight years of No. 1 picks? It took the Sixers 5 years to reach where they are NOW. What you are saying is that the Nets should go through a 7 year span of being terrible. I'm not sure the franchise could survive that.

If Brooklyn fans are smart, they will understand that anything they do to marginally improve
In the short term will only hurt them down the road. Everything they do now needs to be with a mindset of building a nucleus to compete in 2022. None of these moves help them get there (except maybe getting Russell).

Anything more short term than that, the Nets are kidding themselves.

If I'm a Nets fan, I want the Nets to be as good as they can be next year since they still don't have a pick next year. After that, they can re-evaluate and see what they can do. If Russell turns into a bonafide stud, which could certainly happen, and Crabbe can develop his game into a legit swing then the Nets are in great shape. Carroll isn't likely to be a stud ever but he is serviceable.

I think you are completely discounting the fact that they have no 1st rounder next year. Again.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Sixers fan, I remember how difficult it was to follow the team DESPITE the fact that they had a clear plan. If the Sixers went through that while ALSO giving up 3 straight years of No. 1 picks? It took the Sixers 5 years to reach where they are NOW. What you are saying is that the Nets should go through a 7 year span of being terrible. I'm not sure the franchise could survive that.

If I'm a Nets fan, I want the Nets to be as good as they can be next year since they still don't have a pick next year. After that, they can re-evaluate and see what they can do. If Russell turns into a bonafide stud, which could certainly happen, and Crabbe can develop his game into a legit swing then the Nets are in great shape. Carroll isn't likely to be a stud ever but he is serviceable.

I think you are completely discounting the fact that they have no 1st rounder next year. Again.

I am not. The pick is gone. They can't do anything about it. Next season is a lost cause no matter what they do. Now, many on here are saying they think the Nets could be a 30+ win team.

The Nets don't really have a choice. Patience is paramount if they want to rebuild correctly and try to become legitimately good again. The can't get those picks back, so the process will take longer. Also, the 6ers had pretty wretched lottery luck until landing Simmons, which is part of why the process took so long for them.

But, If I were a Nets fan, I would rather take a couple extra years and do it right than short cut the process now. If we have learned anything over the recent past, it is that the place you don't want to be as an NBA franchise is stuck between 30 and 45 wins. If you guys are right and the Nets are a 30 win team next 2 years, their next pick will be 6-10 instead of 1-4. As they continue to develop and get marginally better, they push further and further toward NBA purgatory with little to no chance of developing a great young core.

Nets and their fans shouldn't care whether or not they help the Celtics this year. They should be hell bent on finding their next franchise star, even if it can't happen until 2019 (or later).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I am saying is this.

The 6ers were terrible for years. I am sure it was brutal on fans. But, now they are in an exciting position where they have a potentially contending young nucleus together.

If the Nets continue down the path they have started this summer, I am willing to bet they will have to completely blow it up again in a few years before they are able to be legitimately good. Maybe they make the playoffs a couple times, but they are highly unlikely to build a contending core because they aren't likely to land a franchise player unless they get extremely lucky with multiple late lottery picks (like the Warriors).

The marginally better path actually takes longer, unless your end goal is 45 wins and an early playoff exit.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its a pretty solid move considering their circumstances. Their new front office has a direction and they're going for it. Much needed for that franchise after years of being rudderless.

I agree. Can't expect Sean Marks to sit on his ass and not try to improve the team and be happy with 3 more seasons of winning fewer than 25 games after winning 20 and 21 games the previous 2 years. Also this isn't some established franchise. A lot of these fans just became fans when they moved to brooklyn 5 years ago so showing some improvement would be nice to start having sellouts as they did in the first 3 years.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I am saying is this.

The 6ers were terrible for years. I am sure it was brutal on fans. But, now they are in an exciting position where they have a potentially contending young nucleus together.

If the Nets continue down the path they have started this summer, I am willing to bet they will have to completely blow it up again in a few years before they are able to be legitimately good. Maybe they make the playoffs a couple times, but they are highly unlikely to build a contending core because they aren't likely to land a franchise player unless they get extremely lucky with multiple late lottery picks (like the Warriors).

The marginally better path actually takes longer, unless your end goal is 45 wins and an early playoff exit.

Philly was and is an established franchise. Their fans didn't have an issue with being patient as they been playing in Philly since 1963. The Nets does not have that luxury. The Nets been in brooklyn for 5 seasons. Not sure if you can expect fans to sit around and be ok with sucking for another 3 years

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly was and is an established franchise. Their fans didn't have an issue with being patient as they been playing in Philly since 1963. The Nets does not have that luxury. The Nets been in brooklyn for 5 seasons. Not sure if you can expect fans to sit around and be ok with sucking for another 3 years

Eh.

Still the wrong outlook, IMO.

Go big or go home. Getting marginally better wth a core that had no legitimate shot to contend is what got them in this mess to begin with.

Fans don't get too excited for 35-40 win seasons.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh.

Still the wrong outlook, IMO.

Go big or go home. Getting marginally better wth a core that had no legitimate shot to contend is what got them in this mess to begin with.

Fans don't get too excited for 35-40 win seasons.

I disagree especially since they're in the east. 35-40 wins means they're in the hunt all season and possibly make the playoffs. There's been a huge drop in attendance the last 2 seasons. It would not get better if they just wave the flag and be content with winning 25 games or less the next 3 seasons.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree especially since they're in the east. 35-40 wins means they're in the hunt all season and possibly make the playoffs. There's been a huge drop in attendance the last 2 seasons. It would not get better if they just wave the flag and be content with winning 25 games or less the next 3 seasons.

And that sums it all up.

I could are less about making the playoffs with a core that has no chance once they get there and are not and up and coming group.

I don't care Ball how bad the East is. If you are not building toward an eventual shot at a championship, you are doing it wrong.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that sums it all up.

I could are less about making the playoffs with a core that has no chance once they get there and are not and up and coming group.

I don't care Ball how bad the East is. If you are not building toward an eventual shot at a championship, you are doing it wrong.

If the Nets had their pick this year and their pick next year, I would completely agree with you.

But they don't. They just lost out on getting Fulz or Ball and next year the same thing may happen.

I generally agree with you that tanking can make sense but tanking only to give the pick to a rival makes no sense to me. All 3 contracts they took on expire within 3 seasons. If Russell develops into something quality they could trade that asset next year and start building the way you are talking about.