• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need a new (to me) car

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2018 Chevy Silverado looks stupid AF!

2019-chevrolet-silverado-trailboss-3-1.jpg 2019-chevrolet-silverado-trailboss-2.jpg

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) keep the imprezza if possible. Sounds like a great first car for the 14 year old. Even if you have to find someplace to store it. :)

2) Forget Chevy, any chevy. Piece of junk and you will waste your money. Forget Ford cars too. SUV and trucks are ok.

3) Fuck Honda, especially the Pilot. own one, won't make that mistake again. Should have stayed with Toyota and the 4Runner. All Honda's are noisy as hell and they honestly don't give a fuck if they sold you a piece of shit.

4) Acura MDX is just a more expensive Pilot, don't waste even MORE money on it.

Honestly if I were you I would look for a good used 4Runner. It is going to be about $2k more than a good used Pilot but you will enjoy it so much better. I have owned two Honda's, never again. Thought my first was just a piece of junk so we bought a fully loaded, all bells and whistles Pilot and it has been a turd. Whistles between the speeds of 30 and 60 and Honda knows about it. They will be nice enough to sell you a body kit that they will install to help it stop whistling (the body seams aren't correct).

What I'm hearing you say in all of this is F250 Crew Cab.
Right.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I love my F-650. It has plenty of room, comfortable and can pull just about anything.

$_3.JPG

Harry Seaword

Hoopla Cash
$ 266.84
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever you do don't get the Porsche if you are looking to save money. They require full synthetic motor oil and it holds 10 quarts. $150 for an oil change is just way too much.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tackle you guys wonderful advice so far in one post.

No cat, just got the kids a dog for Christmas.
Dog won't eat cat treats
My penis is actually pretty decent sized, I don't needvto compensate by buying a big truck.
Yeah, I agree I don't likje buying a new car anymore.
Nice looking car, but I have no idea what it is.
No trucks. I don't need the bed. Although I admit ive looked at tge vvhevy avalanche, i liked those.
500 miles a week is a lot of walking. I know the rest of your post is words, butvthe way you put those words together doesnt seem to mean anything.
Kids live with their mother 2 hours away from me. Either they ride long distances in the car with me or I don't get to see them.
I'll keep the Bentley in mind, but was looking to stay under $20k, possibly flexing up to 25 ish for the right car.
I really wanted to keep it. I have had 2 of this model year of this car and put 300k miles on them. And depending on what they offer on trade I might keep it for my daughter turning 16. But it's just gotten to small to have a 10 year old sit behind me (I'm 6'1) and I definitely couldn't fit 3 kids in the back seat.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next time you should sell before buying 4 new tires.

Hindsite and all that. Blew a tire while hours from home, and the only tire shop in the area claimed they wouldn't put just 1 tire on for me. That it was unsafe. Bunch of BS, but I just wanted to get home, so didn't call their bluff.

Looking to offload it before replacing the clutch at least. Unless I keep it for my daughter. Not sure I want to teach her to drive a stick on a brand new clutch though either...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever you do don't get the Porsche if you are looking to save money. They require full synthetic motor oil and it holds 10 quarts. $150 for an oil change is just way too much.
:L If it's a true for full synthetic, it will last 3 times or more longer. Just pull a sample ($15) at the normal oil change interval, and then again at double)

I change my oil in my Dodge (5qts) every 20K! (I do a flush to keep the motor clean though, it allows the oil to last longer)

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just had to replace my wife's vehicle. She had a '03 Explorer with 230,000 miles (that I was going to continue doing maintenance on till it died). Great car without much headache. Some kid decided to shoot the gap in front of her and she smoked his '99 Range Rover doing 50mph.

upload_2018-1-8_9-26-5.png

Anyway, she wanted something smaller since we only have one kid left at home. Looked at almost every make of SUV and finally settled for a 2014 Escape Titanium w/ ecoboost and only 18,000 miles (tried talking her into an Edge). The car is pretty nice, but not very big. I couldn't imagine a roadtrip with 3 teens.

Harry Seaword

Hoopla Cash
$ 266.84
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L If it's a true for full synthetic, it will last 3 times or more longer. Just pull a sample ($15) at the normal oil change interval, and then again at double)

I change my oil in my Dodge (5qts) every 20K! (I do a flush to keep the motor clean though, it allows the oil to last longer)

5000 miles as opposed to 3000 for non synthetic. It's not 3 times longer.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just missed the opportune time of the year to buy a new vehicle, but I'm also not in a huge hurry either. My car just rolled over 100k, and lots of little stuff is starting to go wrong. Just recently had to replace all 4 tires, my windshield wipers, and both front low beams within a month or so of each other. Belts of some sort are squeaking on startup but then are fine after 2-3 minutes. The clutch is starting to squeel, too cold to check, but brake pads have got to be due. Etc. Just a bunch of stuff I don't want to deal with on an old car. The big thing is it burns through about a quart of oil every week (500 miles ish).

And the biggest problem of all is that while I love driving my little subaru impreza, my 3 kids have officially outgrown it. And at 14, 12, and 10 they're not done growing yet either.

Looking for something big enough for everyone. But I still need AWD. And I'm not officially set on prices, but I put ~25,000 miles on a car every year so need low miles to start with if I want to avoid being the guy left holding the hot potato when the music stops.

So far I'm looking at
* 14-15 Acura MDX's. I really like this generation of MDX, but it's kind of more than I wanted to spend at around $25k
* 16-17 Honda Pilot not quite as luxurious, but almost as nice. If that makes sense. Probably cheaper to fix as well.
* Ford Escapes under 50k miles. Not sure what years I'm looking at yet, I don't know how long the model years were, but an acquaintance had a 17 that seemed really nice and a much better deal financially than the Honda. Would only get with the v6 ecoboost. The others are apparently dogs.
* Really looking at just stepping up to the Subaru Legacy with the 3.6 h6. But not sure it will be big enough for the kids, and will still feel too big to me.
* Chevy Traverse I keep hearing great things about these but I've never even looked at one really in person.
* and out of left field there seems to gevgreat deals to be had on older low mileage Porsche Cayennes. Would obviously be the most fun to drive, but I'm not sure I want to pay Porsche repair bills. And I don't know about their longevity. Porsche has the highest build quality of anything I'm looking at, but aren't exactly known for their owners putting 100k+ on them.

Anybody have strong feelings about any of those to look closer at? Or which to avoid? Anything else in the same crossover suv segment to look at, or just mid to full size cars that I'm ignoring?
Go with the Honda products.
Look for one still using the 6 speed transmissions.
Haven't read anything good about the 9-speeds

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm just looking to avoid the CVT that they're starting to put in so many things. Those things suck.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just looking to avoid the CVT that they're starting to put in so many things. Those things suck.
I've read that too
Although I do tend to lean towards performance automotive sites
Honda does seem to get kudos for their cvt's.
CR-V's employ them.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only use OEM recommended oil. Many newer OHC engines use the engine oil as a lubricant and for hydraulics. Using other brands is not a good idea.

Motorcraft synthetic 5w-20 in the mustang. If I don’t I hear a tick-tick-tick-tick...

I imagine the Porsche takes 14 quarts because, like a lot of performance engines now days, has a dry sump (oil sump is not attached to the engine) plus more oil = less frequent oil changes.

Don’t buy the Porsche unless you’re a douche...if you want to go fast, save your money and buy a corvette.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a divorce

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only use OEM recommended oil. Many newer OHC engines use the engine oil as a lubricant and for hydraulics. Using other brands is not a good idea.

Motorcraft synthetic 5w-20 in the mustang. If I don’t I hear a tick-tick-tick-tick...

I imagine the Porsche takes 14 quarts because, like a lot of performance engines now days, has a dry sump (oil sump is not attached to the engine) plus more oil = less frequent oil changes.

Don’t buy the Porsche unless you’re a douche...if you want to go fast, save your money and buy a corvette.

The corvette SUV? I'm talking about a cayenne, not a 911.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, go with honda if you want to hear every groove, bump, and deformity in the road regardless of what you spend on tires. I've tried the quietest of Michellin tires to get rid of road noise, and Honda just loves to keep you in tune with the road I guess. :)