• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska needs to be the hammer

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday what I saw from Nebraska we were the Nail and not the Hammer. We have better skilled players then Iowa and Wisconsin there is not doubt about that. When it comes to upfront we are not better then Wisconsin or Iowa and Ohio St and Michigan are light years ahead of us upfront. I don't give a shit about offense we run but we need to be able to dominate up front and we don't when we play opponents with equal talent. Riley and his staff have to place even more emphasis on recruiting offense and defensive lineman I don't give two shits about 5 star QB's and WR's when we can't even block and get four yards when we need it. The same goes for the front four and our linebackers. We flat out sucked against Iowa and Ohio St our front seven couldn't even keep basic gap contain and where flat footed. If Riley and his staff continue the same trend we will not see improvement we will be nothing more then a 9 and 4 football team. I hope Riley and this staff will place more emphasis on recruiting the big uglies and focus on being a more physical football team.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday what I saw from Nebraska we were the Nail and not the Hammer. We have better skilled players then Iowa and Wisconsin there is not doubt about that. When it comes to upfront we are not better then Wisconsin or Iowa and Ohio St and Michigan are light years ahead of us upfront. I don't give a shit about offense we run but we need to be able to dominate up front and we don't when we play opponents with equal talent. Riley and his staff have to place even more emphasis on recruiting offense and defensive lineman I don't give two shits about 5 star QB's and WR's when we can't even block and get four yards when we need it. The same goes for the front four and our linebackers. We flat out sucked against Iowa and Ohio St our front seven couldn't even keep basic gap contain and where flat footed. If Riley and his staff continue the same trend we will not see improvement we will be nothing more then a 9 and 4 football team. I hope Riley and this staff will place more emphasis on recruiting the big uglies and focus on being a more physical football team.

Just now read this. You are absolutely right.

We can bring in all the rockstar QBs and WRs we can get, it's not gonna make a lick of difference if we can't run the ball effectively and stop the run effectively.

Now, we've been pretty good under Riley at stopping the run, it's just that yesterday we took a day off.

If we can't establish the run game then we'll never win a Championship. It's a fact of life.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Barney was in vs Maryland throwing completions, instead of TA's Hospital Ball™ passes, it opened up the run just fine, even with a OL as bad as we've seen in many years. If we're still talking this mess next year the warning bells will be loud as hell

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Barney was in vs Maryland throwing completions, instead of TA's Hospital Ball™ passes, it opened up the run just fine, even with a OL as bad as we've seen in many years. If we're still talking this mess next year the warning bells will be loud as hell

Maryland, we talkin about Maryland, really! It's got a lot more to do with that I watched that game to and at times Farmer and Utter got completely owned in that game. Nebraska still needs to bring the physicality and we are no where close to competing with Ohio St, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa up front.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland, we talkin about Maryland, really! It's got a lot more to do with that I watched that game to and at times Farmer and Utter got completely owned in that game. Nebraska still needs to bring the physicality and we are no where close to competing with Ohio St, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa up front.
I never expected we would beat Wisconsin or Ohio st, I bring up Maryland because that's the only data point we have with a guy throwing legit completions and mildly running the offense to what it will be like next year. The team isn't used to playing or practicing with anything like that beyond Lee with the scout team. The tragic deficiencies on OL/DL now were inherited by 7 straight years of real poor recruiting. We do have talent that would have played this year if not for the RS, they're building from the ground up here, literally

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never expected we would beat Wisconsin or Ohio st, I bring up Maryland because that's the only data point we have with a guy throwing legit completions and mildly running the offense to what it will be like next year. The team isn't used to playing or practicing with anything like that beyond Lee with the scout team. The tragic deficiencies on OL/DL now were inherited by 7 straight years of real poor recruiting. We do have talent that would have played this year if not for the RS, they're building from the ground up here, literally
Unfortunately none of those RS OL are walk ons from Broken Bow, so they'll never amount to anything. Oh, and we now only recruit QBs and WRs, so I'm not sure where they came from anyways? :scratch:

Last edited:

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately none of those RS OL are walk ones from Broken Bow, so they'll never amount to anything. Oh, and we now only recruit QBs and WRs, so I'm not sure where they came from anyways? :scratch:

I'm not talking about walk on Olinemen or Dlinemen for that matter. Riley since he got here has talked about more athletic players on the outside. Nebraska was more athletic on the outside then Iowa or Wisconsin before he got here. But we haven't had a dominate oline since Solich was coaching and a dominate dline since Carl Pelini was on Bo's staff. Untill Riley decides and puts a major emphasis up front he's just another filler coach. Will go 9 and 4 maybe 10 and 3 but we will also have with him those 5-7 seasons or worse.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how many of these guys you're referring to are Riley's.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how many of these guys you're referring to are Riley's.

Well he took the job he's been there two years they are his guys! I've seen his recruiting the last two years. They have not done a good job or recruiting up front.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he took the job he's been there two years they are his guys! I've seen his recruiting the last two years. They have not done a good job or recruiting up front.
:L What part of OL recruiting has been unsatisfactory? DL has been an issue, which Riley addressed with firing Hughes and hiring Parrella

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His first class was 2016, 22 signees, 3 offensive line, 3 defensive line.
In 2017 recruits it looks like we have 4 on the offensive line and 3 on the defensive.
If you are going to say they are not good enough I'm done because we don't know. If you're point is there are not enough you cannot recruit everything in one position in one year because you then have to keep restocking and developing that entire position at the same point.

Whichever it is I go back to my first question. Who's players are you referring to. Point being Riley has not been here long enough to judge.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately none of those RS OL are walk ons from Broken Bow, so they'll never amount to anything. Oh, and we now only recruit QBs and WRs, so I'm not sure where they came from anyways? :scratch:
Right. Worked out great half the season our Oline featured 1 guy on scolly but people are still pushing the need for more walkons narrative. Knevel should be playing women's basketball, it's a travesty he's on ship. We could possible have up to 3 RS Frosh starting on the line next year and be night and day better than we've been in years up front

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my personal opinion, the practices have to get more physical. you can't ask 18-22yo OL and DL kids to play paddy cake in practice and then go out and turn on the physicality on Saturdays. guys just not holding their blocks long enough keep rushing plays 4-5 yds instead of being big runs. on defense, guys don't shed blockers nearly as quick as they could. too much damn patty cake during the week. I'm hoping this was a result of the injury problems and lack of experience and they'll get it figured out next year.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just now read this. You are absolutely right.

We can bring in all the rockstar QBs and WRs we can get, it's not gonna make a lick of difference if we can't run the ball effectively and stop the run effectively.

Now, we've been pretty good under Riley at stopping the run, it's just that yesterday we took a day off.

If we can't establish the run game then we'll never win a Championship. It's a fact of life.
As much as I like your post, I like your avi better. :D

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got no problem with getting more physical. And from Bankers quote Friday he sees the need too.
I'll say to me, this season was not a success because of the blow outs. Hell I felt better about last year then this year because we competed in every game. But it also seems like after Wisconsin the team lost heart. Why I don't know but they were having fun early in the year you could see it. Towards the end of the year, they looked like they didn't want to be there again.
Yes they have to get tougher, you are dead on there. Recruiting though I don't think is going to be a problem.
They need to get tougher and we need a quarterback that will make good decisions. I'm pretty confident we are one game away from one of those and the other, let's hope.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His first class was 2016, 22 signees, 3 offensive line, 3 defensive line.
In 2017 recruits it looks like we have 4 on the offensive line and 3 on the defensive.
If you are going to say they are not good enough I'm done because we don't know. If you're point is there are not enough you cannot recruit everything in one position in one year because you then have to keep restocking and developing that entire position at the same point.

Whichever it is I go back to my first question. Who's players are you referring to. Point being Riley has not been here long enough to judge.

Here's my point from what I've read this staff may take up to 6 WR's this recruiting cycle. To me when I see way more deficencies up front on both sides of the ball. That to me is more of priority. By the way we have three commits on both the oline and dline, 2 DE's and 1 DT, 2 OT's and 1 OG, I would sacrifice a couple of WR's targets by the way we only have two WR's commits and maybe a DB prospect and I would focus on getting at least 2 more Olinemen and at least one more DE and DT. The other thing I would do if I was Riley is to add another oline coach. The more one on one coaching those kids can get is for the better. Footwork and hand placement are critical in coaching oline. A oline coach IMO must be a perfectionist and demand this out his players.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my personal opinion, the practices have to get more physical. you can't ask 18-22yo OL and DL kids to play paddy cake in practice and then go out and turn on the physicality on Saturdays. guys just not holding their blocks long enough keep rushing plays 4-5 yds instead of being big runs. on defense, guys don't shed blockers nearly as quick as they could. too much damn patty cake during the week. I'm hoping this was a result of the injury problems and lack of experience and they'll get it figured out next year.

Being more physical in practice is anther good start. To me to do that we need more depth up front.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids are a lot more fragile now than I remember in previous decades.

Shit I can barely remember linemen dealing with twisted ankle issues and using it as an excuse when I was growing up in the 90's.

It really comes with the desire to win. I know what a bum ankle feels like. It hurts. My senior year in basketball I went up for a board and someone got underneath of me and I came down on their foot and ended up with a severe sprain. We taped it every game for the rest of the season. It never went away until the season was over. But there were times out there where I remember being so hyped that I forgot it was sprained.

There are definitely injuries that do not allow a guy to play, no doubt. But shit, nowadays all we hear about is how so and so is dealing with this or that and isn't 100%.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my point from what I've read this staff may take up to 6 WR's this recruiting cycle. To me when I see way more deficencies up front on both sides of the ball. That to me is more of priority. By the way we have three commits on both the oline and dline, 2 DE's and 1 DT, 2 OT's and 1 OG, I would sacrifice a couple of WR's targets by the way we only have two WR's commits and maybe a DB prospect and I would focus on getting at least 2 more Olinemen and at least one more DE and DT. The other thing I would do if I was Riley is to add another oline coach. The more one on one coaching those kids can get is for the better. Footwork and hand placement are critical in coaching oline. A oline coach IMO must be a perfectionist and demand this out his players.
We have needs at wide receiver too. Who do we have who amounts to anything now? Count out any seniors and we have Stanley Morgan jr.
As for more lineman, I'm under the assumption that we'll get some of the targets too.

I hear what you are saying and I disagree with you.
I am not arguing that we don't need to build the line. I am just arguing that the current condition of the line is not because of Riley and he has done nothing to indicate he does not plan to do exactly that. He has one class signed yet you are condemning his recruiting because he goes after skill players too. Skill players we are losing. Sorry got to disagree with you. Maybe not in a couple of years, but right now I do.