• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Nebraska @ Minnesota 6:30 pm (CT) FS1

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. But it all starts up front.

Agree, and that's been my primary criticism for years dating all the way back to Pelini and the scrapbook boys.

However, it doesn't stop there. Teammates of said O-linemen need to get on their ass. Otherwise they are just as much fault in the culture of trash.

This is a culture thing. Not a talent thing, not a coaching thing.

It's a culture within the locker room, in the weight room, in team meetings, at the training table, and yes even in their non mandatory football time.

Some of the divas transferred, but many remained. Obviously they can't pull scholly's and have only walk-ons play. Until there is accountability leadership within the team, expect more of the same.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too easy to just take all the bennies that go with being a scholarship player, yet just go through the motions without giving a damn.
This team only seems to give a shit when they're being relentlessly criticized by media and fans.
"We get it, We're working harder"

They then win a game and take a vacation because 'Fuck You'.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, and that's been my primary criticism for years dating all the way back to Pelini and the scrapbook boys.

However, it doesn't stop there. Teammates of said O-linemen need to get on their ass. Otherwise they are just as much fault in the culture of trash.

This is a culture thing. Not a talent thing, not a coaching thing.

It's a culture within the locker room, in the weight room, in team meetings, at the training table, and yes even in their non mandatory football time.

Some of the divas transferred, but many remained. Obviously they can't pull scholly's and have only walk-ons play. Until there is accountability leadership within the team, expect more of the same.
I do not disagree with any of this.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve thought a lot in the last 18 hours about what I’ve watched this season, and what I watched last night.

I think it’s easy to sit here at home and see an ass whooping on tv and over-complicate it. I know there are a multitude of issues, but just because our Defense got gashed last night by a good but not great Minnesota Offense, I haven’t any concerns with where we’re at Defensively.

UCF got gashed at times too. Big time. But the difference was UCF came right back on Offense and sustained drives. There weren’t a bunch of 3-and-outs, and up front they were sound and the pocket didn’t collapse instantly like it has here this season.

Which gets me to where I’m at. I believe with a functional Offensive Line Frost is able to do what he wants.....sustain drives and put points on the board, and ultimately he really doesn’t give 2 shits if his Defense gives up 28 points.....or even 38 points for that matter. He wants to score 52 points every game....amirite @HuskerPower52?

Because of how bad we are up front, I believe we’ll be average at best next season as well. I think Frost’s 4th year is where we’ll finally start to see things really take off. By that point he will have an OL in place to operate this Offense the way he wants.....and if he doesn’t, well there really isn’t any excuse.

I truly believe if you just inserted Oklahoma or Ohio State’s Offensive Line here right now we would instantly go from 4-3 to 6-1.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of how bad we are up front, I believe we’ll be average at best next season as well. I think Frost’s 4th year is where we’ll finally start to see things really take off. By that point he will have an OL in place to operate this Offense the way he wants.
This is exactly what ive been thinking for a while, it is great and feels good to hope that Frost pulls the UCF miracle he pulled going from 0-12 to 6-7 to 13-0 but that was a much different situation and in a much physically smaller conference. We have to get the mental edge and the physical edge and both take a lot of time to herd out the holdovers from the previous staffs mistakes

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve thought a lot in the last 18 hours about what I’ve watched this season, and what I watched last night.

I think it’s easy to sit here at home and see an ass whooping on tv and over-complicate it. I know there are a multitude of issues, but just because our Defense got gashed last night by a good but not great Minnesota Offense, I haven’t any concerns with where we’re at Defensively.

UCF got gashed at times too. Big time. But the difference was UCF came right back on Offense and sustained drives. There weren’t a bunch of 3-and-outs, and up front they were sound and the pocket didn’t collapse instantly like it has here this season.

Which gets me to where I’m at. I believe with a functional Offensive Line Frost is able to do what he wants.....sustain drives and put points on the board, and ultimately he really doesn’t give 2 shits if his Defense gives up 28 points.....or even 38 points for that matter. He wants to score 52 points every game....amirite @HuskerPower52?

Because of how bad we are up front, I believe we’ll be average at best next season as well. I think Frost’s 4th year is where we’ll finally start to see things really take off. By that point he will have an OL in place to operate this Offense the way he wants.....and if he doesn’t, well there really isn’t any excuse.

I truly believe if you just inserted Oklahoma or Ohio State’s Offensive Line here right now we would instantly go from 4-3 to 6-1.

I agree on the defense. I came into this season expecting the defense to give up points and for some games to be shoot-outs.

The offense has gotten worse as the season has gone along. They are worse than they were at any point last season. The reason why is a complete idiot of a DC could draw up a game plan against the same 4 plays the Huskers run over and over all within 10 yds of the LOS. They simply run or throw sideways and never stretch the field. Apparently that's all Frost, Walters, and Verduzco think these players are capable of doing. The tool box is as good as empty.
I was expecting 40 PPG in year two. They are managing just 25.
In the last 3 games they've averaged just 9 points per game.

The only reason Oklahoma or Ohio St's O-lines would improve things is because they have a different culture. This team wins a game and takes a week off. The criticisms from fans and media come out and "We got our minds right" for another week until they win again. "Hey, we won fuck you". Then they take another week off when things quiet down. Wash, rinse, repeat.
It's a culture of being complacent and not giving a fuck unless there is noise.
In the military a good blanket party did wonders for slackers who were constantly getting everybody else in trouble and having to answer to the drill instructor for the ne'er-do-wells.

I have no answers on how to fix snowflake diva's on football scholarships. I hope Frost does.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly what ive been thinking for a while, it is great and feels good to hope that Frost pulls the UCF miracle he pulled going from 0-12 to 6-7 to 13-0 but that was a much different situation and in a much physically smaller conference. We have to get the mental edge and the physical edge and both take a lot of time to herd out the holdovers from the previous staffs mistakes

^^ THIS ^^

I'm beginning to question whether Frost's offense is going to work at the P5 level. Particularly in the Big 10 that still works on a 3 Yds and a cloud of dust mindset. He's got gazelles trying to punch through a herd of elephants. It's never going to work if you don't go over the elephants once in a while to back them off and spread them out.
Remember all that "mismatch" bullshit. LOL

Mo Washington has the ankles and legs of a super model. He's not durable enough to be an every down back and never will be.
When he's on the field, the next Nebraska play is going sideways. When he's not on the field they're going between the tackles. A fucking moron DC can figure that out.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S. Alabama: W 35-21 "Yay we won, let's take the week off"
Colorado: L 31-34 "We get it. We got our minds right now. We'll work harder"
N. Illinois: W 44-8 "Yay, we won, lets take the week off"
Illinois: W 42-38 "Yay, we won again, let's take another week off"
Ohio St: L 7-48 "We get it. We got or minds right now. We'll work harder"
Northwestern: W 13-10 "Yay we won, let's take the week off"
Minnesota: L 7-34 "We get it. We got our minds right now. We'll work harder"

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskers need two wins between Indiana, Purdue, and Maryland to get bowl eligible and basically an extra (4 weeks) spring/fall practice for the freshmen and sophomores on this team.

Two outta three is a tall task for this bunch of panty waist divas.

Bowl or no bowl, the seniors with the bad work ethic will be getting the fuck outta here.
The current freshmen and sophomore's will be sophomore's and junior's next season. In January they need to take over the locker room from this year's juniors that will be next year's seniors thinking they own shit. There is power in numbers. Tell them to find some work ethic or GTFO. This is no longer Riley's team. They no longer lead this team.

Last edited:

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, the team culture is shit and has been for years. My thought when SF was hired it would be a minimum of 3 years before things really started to show sustained improvement just based of building the OL/DL’s and team toughness/culture

I was reading a post from a former OL from the 90’s era, paraphrasing but he said he couldn’t imagine what would’ve happened to him if he told Tommie, or even Scott, to just deal with getting hit because he was lazy. It wasn’t as much the fear of his QBs wrath rather the entire team.
We’re not even close to that level of team culture however our HC knows quite a bit about it and is driving us in that direction but the players ultimately need to make it run and keep it there.

I love the guy but a 1 yr graduate transfer being named a team captain wouldn’t normally happen 9.9 times out of 10, nor would another tackle tapping his helmet to come out because he’s tired after only two or three plays, or 2-3 OL’s standing around watching their qb pick himself off the ground after getting clobbered and not even bother to help him up.

Waiting for that to change year after agonizing year is the worst part but I really feel SF is setting the benchmarks for his players to start the work. I can’t wait for guys like Jurgens, Heinrich, Nelson.. to take it to another level

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, the team culture is shit and has been for years. My thought when SF was hired it would be a minimum of 3 years before things really started to show sustained improvement just based of building the OL/DL’s and team toughness/culture

I was reading a post from a former OL from the 90’s era, paraphrasing but he said he couldn’t imagine what would’ve happened to him if he told Tommie, or even Scott, to just deal with getting hit because he was lazy. It wasn’t as much the fear of his QBs wrath rather the entire team.
We’re not even close to that level of team culture however our HC knows quite a bit about it and is driving us in that direction but the players ultimately need to make it run and keep it there.

I love the guy but a 1 yr graduate transfer being named a team captain wouldn’t normally happen 9.9 times out of 10, nor would another tackle tapping his helmet to come out because he’s tired after only two or three plays, or 2-3 OL’s standing around watching their qb pick himself off the ground after getting clobbered and not even bother to help him up.

Waiting for that to change year after agonizing year is the worst part but I really feel SF is setting the benchmarks for his players to start the work. I can’t wait for guys like Jurgens, Heinrich, Nelson.. to take it to another level

Well said. All of it.
Although the fans called for it at times, T.O. never had to fire a position coach or coordinator. I expect Frost will be much the same. He brought all these guys from UCF with him. He had an open checkbook to replace some if he didn't see promise in them.
Give them a few years to wash some players through attrition. The world needs insurance agents and car salesmen.

What's most disappointing was this years schedule was relatively easy with getting the three toughest games in Lincoln and spread out nicely among what was considered winnable games.

Next years schedule gets a lot harder. They play @ Ohio St, Penn St, @ Iowa, @ Wisconsin, in consecutive weeks, no byes. LOL

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have nothing to add, you guys pretty much said what i was thinking.

Ok, i guess i lied. Heard DB on the radio this morning, he was going position by position group and saying if they were better or worse than last year.

On D, he said DL and DBs were better. LBs were even. Although i do see the DL a little better, still getting pushed back way too much and not enough getting off blocks on run plays. That's what hurt the most against Minn, was the OL could double a DL and then one guy would get control of him and then that second guy would get to the second level. that shit is where we are losing the battle. I'd agree on LBs, i was hoping Barry would be a lot better, but he is what he is and our DL not keep OL off of them doesn't help.

On O - DB basically said every group was worse. He kinda scooted around where the QB was at, which I'd agree with, the shitty OL, no RB or WR threats, it's hard to put blame on the QB. The OL regression is the most depressing thing and as you guys said above, even regressing since the start of the season. I just don't get why we aren't sitting guys and rolling our lumps with some younger guys that want to compete. maybe it was Minny's 2nd string DL, but the OL looked a lot better in the 4Q when some younger guys were getting time.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oops, started writing this and got stuck doing some work.

Mike'l then brought up something i always think about and something that USC did at the end of last season or maybe it was during spring. I don't remember the exact phrasing but the general premise was whether a given scholarship player turned into a "bust", just a "guy", or a "stud" (they didn't use stud, but for the life of me can't remember what they said). we have been getting way too many busts or guys and not ever getting studs. The last studs i remember on D were Lavonte David and Randy Gregory. Lamar Jackson has somewhat climbed up there but he can't do a great deal from corner.

this is backed up by the fact we aren't getting All-Conference players. no one stands out and that's what is sad.

on O, OL has been down for years as someone pointed out above, thankfully Rex and Ameer could make people miss. under Riley they got soft and now that's continuing. i'm still baffled how it looked so much better at the end of last year and this year has regressed.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my mind just not having Farmer and Foster in terms of culture for the offense was irreplaceable yet with the new guys just being green and the others falling back to what we can recognize as a Riley

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ugh, now i'm thinking about rewatching, just to see. problem is that i don't know how to really tell if they misfit the run. also if the DL being blown off can be caused by that misfit.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ugh, now i'm thinking about rewatching, just to see. problem is that i don't know how to really tell if they misfit the run. also if the DL being blown off can be caused by that misfit.

You'd have to pay me to rewatch this disaster

GhostRiderRushville

Original Caravan Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,103,757.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd have to pay me to rewatch this disaster

I threatened my curfew missing teenage son with having to rewatch the game as a punishment......he asked if he could be grounded for two weeks instead.....:pound:

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nebraska runs a 4-3 defense on first and second down and stuffs Minny. On 3rd down we switch to a 3-4 and get smoked on the same damned run play they ran before.

I have a feeling I know where the "Misfit" was on the defense.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DB did this:

#22 - no clue where he was going, he stays home on the backside and does his job, this was probably a TFL or maybe a short gain.

I'm debating trying to find some plays where our DL gets destoyed. my boys are going to their grandparents for Fall break so i actually have a free night tonight. might use it to catch up on some TV though and not watch this shitknocker again.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DB did this:

#22 - no clue where he was going, he stays home on the backside and does his job, this was probably a TFL or maybe a short gain.

I'm debating trying to find some plays where our DL gets destoyed. my boys are going to their grandparents for Fall break so i actually have a free night tonight. might use it to catch up on some TV though and not watch this shitknocker again.
Ha i got my kids playing on the family minecraft server righ tnow they have been asking for me to play with them, rewatching it's always sunny righ tnow though :D