• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: ND vs UNC Game Day Thread:

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrible job today by Brian Kelly. He constantly put us in third and long by refusing to run the ball and all game continued to put the defense right back out on the field because he failed to pick up some first downs to give the defense some rest. Way to much relying on Golson and not enough on our runningbacks and O line.

I have to agree with this completely. Kelly for all of his supposed offensive genius sure doesn't seem to impress with 'some' of his play calling. We don't run enough on first down to even give us more % shots at 2nd and short or 3rd and short after gaining 5-9 on first and second RUNNING the ball. And what's worse, we seem to have relatively few running plays, it's this damn read-option left or right, and it's this damn O-line's inability to hold blocks or push their man off the spot that only seem to exacerbate the issue. I think it's a bit of both actually. The runs we had in the fourth with Folston are the type of runs we should be running in the first damned quarter, off-tackle, up the gut, or ffs even a damned zone blocking scheme setting up a mini-wall to either hash, along with the psuedo end-arounds and such they're doing with the receivers. I think they need to seriously get busy on being more physical and work on setting up at least one damn inside run that they can reliably get 4-5 off of without the defense clearly making a specific adjustment off their base to counter it with.

We also seem to have enough lapses in pass blocking that it's causing Golson to be a freaking jitterbug back there and Kelly's probably in his ear telling him to step up in the pocket but his feel for it is awful at times, he seems to have been primarily getting outside the pocket rather than stepping into it after the D has over rushed, his 2 and 3 step drops they're not necessarily over-rushing and he's a lot easier to contain up the middle and Kelly should surely recognize this and be all over it and helping to make him get that feel.

I'm afraid that as good as this team is that we have some critical weaknesses that probably don't all iron themselves out before next year. I had a positive vibe about FSU before this game, now I'm not so sure at all. I really hope they get up for this one next week and play a bit over their current level because I doubt it's going to be enough. We'll make a decent game of it but we probably do not win, it's the sixth game of the year and we don't seem to be showing signs of improvement but rather, regression in some areas and that's just :bullshit:

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This fucking game though. This fucking game. Somebody teach Golson to slide.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam McDaniel shoudl give him lessons in how to cover up the ball.
stud.jpg

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This fucking game though. This fucking game. Somebody teach Golson to slide.

I'll settle for covering the ball, but yeah, get down. Maybe you'll get lucky and draw a flag. Odds of getting down before losing the ball goes up.