• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA Proposes BCS - 4 Team Playoff

yehyeh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Teams will still get over a month off between their last game and the bowl game. If they expand it to 8, they can have the first round games in early to mid December and still have the semis at the bowl games. Bowl games wouldn't be affected. I think this will also keep teams sharp as sometimes the long layoff can hurt a teams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not off track at all -

But it looks like both the 8 and/or 16 game is off the table.

BCS Discards The 8 & 16 Game Playoff Idea

i read a book a few years back (sorry i returned it) and one of the reasons for a play-offs, was eliminating bowl games. why? because people associated with the bowl games were abusing the monies. the BCS officials are also tied into this abuse.

the "guise" is keep the tradition of the bowl games, so my question is.....does this new plan address this issue? i'm sure the answers will start to flow out beginning next year.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go over 8... heck do a 6 team playoff with the top 2 getting a bye...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't go over 8... heck do a 6 team playoff with the top 2 getting a bye...

you'd still get the argument of who's the top 2?

they'll have to start off as four teams and MAYBE one day go to eight? but can't see six teams?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i read a book a few years back (sorry i returned it) and one of the reasons for a play-offs, was eliminating bowl games. why? because people associated with the bowl games were abusing the monies. the BCS officials are also tied into this abuse.

the "guise" is keep the tradition of the bowl games, so my question is.....does this new plan address this issue? i'm sure the answers will start to flow out beginning next year.

To my knowledge, the intention of a play-off system was never to eliminate bowl games, but rather to eliminate the BCS system of selecting who plays in those games as well as which teams play for the National Championship.

The BCS was always a corrupt cash flow system (not to mention tilting the recruitment playing field as well) but it was accepted under the guise that it would create a more true national champion than the previous (AP) system.

Whether this new playoff system will solve the problems of the BCS will depend on the inclusions and the selection committee. Theoretically, this new system could wind up being just as flawed as the old system - We'll know by Jan, 2015.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with Leach and fully expect this format to be expanded in the future.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you'd still get the argument of who's the top 2?

they'll have to start off as four teams and MAYBE one day go to eight? but can't see six teams?

but they're not playing for the championship... at least this way the "elected" top 2 would have to play a game to play in the big game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but they're not playing for the championship... at least this way the "elected" top 2 would have to play a game to play in the big game.

despite playing at least one game themselves, the top 2 still have a big advantage over the other 4. so you'd still have #3 and maybe even #4 arguing they got jobbed?

these teams aren't professionals like the NFL.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
despite playing at least one game themselves, the top 2 still have a big advantage over the other 4. so you'd still have #3 and maybe even #4 arguing they got jobbed?

these teams aren't professionals like the NFL.

I'm not following, Deep. How would the top two teams still have a big advantage over the 3 & 4 teams causing the 3 & 4 seeds to feel as though they were jobbed?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not following, Deep. How would the top two teams still have a big advantage over the 3 & 4 teams causing the 3 & 4 seeds to feel as though they were jobbed?

I think he's talking about if it were 6 teams where the top two seeds got a bye. That would be the unfairness.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's talking about if it were 6 teams where the top two seeds got a bye. That would be the unfairness.

Ahh, then yes I agree. So to avoid the advantage of byes there would need to be either 4 or 8 teams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yes, i was referring to 1 and 2 who got a bye week.

it'll be interesting later on when they reveal this "selection committee"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not only 3 and 4, but also 5 and 6 could argue somewhat.

the 3, 4, 5, and 6 teams would play each other first (ie extra game) with the two winners playing the 1 and 2. similar to the NFL, the bye is a huge advantage....except these teams aren't professional.

so the big argument would be......who should be the 1 and 2? the 3 and 4 would surely argue they got jobbed because THEY'RE the 2.

starting a play-off is good, but whats scary is this "selection committee"? who? how many? from where?

In a 4-team playoff format it would be 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3, and then the winners would play for the NC, so no extra games there. Only in formats not divisible by 4 would there need to be extra games.

That said, your point about the selection committee is spot-on.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deep must have edited his post shorter while you responded. Either that or I am missing posts. Hmm... :)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So does this mean in a few years the BCS won't do a top 25 ranking during the season? I wouldn't like that one bit. I like watching individual prospects, but I don't follow college TEAMS enough to know who the best 25 squad's are.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does this mean in a few years the BCS won't do a top 25 ranking during the season? I wouldn't like that one bit. I like watching individual prospects, but I don't follow college TEAMS enough to know who the best 25 squad's are.

There will have to be some kind of ranking or perhaps standings so people can follow the playoff development.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Deep must have edited his post shorter while you responded. Either that or I am missing posts. Hmm... :)

yes, i did edit to a shorter post. but Bemular caught the longer one before i re-saved.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In a 4-team playoff format it would be 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3, and then the winners would play for the NC, so no extra games there. Only in formats not divisible by 4 would there need to be extra games.

That said, your point about the selection committee is spot-on.

yes, thats why i'm not in favor of six teams, because of extra games. it should be either four or eight. if it remains four, thats fine, start it off as four and see how it works?

way down the road, IF eight is warranted don't think it'll take long to expand? i now think parity would be the largest driver to expand, not money.