• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA Oversight Committee suggests 6 week practice period before play starts

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they get sick. I mean goodness gracious. If they don't want to play they should be allowed to not play obviously. Life is a choice.
Yes....but....100% the schools start getting sued for putting kids at risk, right? That seems like the natural next step if the schools go against any kind of advice that says stay closed or cancel the games.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes....but....100% the schools start getting sued for putting kids at risk, right? That seems like the natural next step if the schools go against any kind of advice that says stay closed or cancel the games.

If they went against an order sure

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure most of the athletes won't have bad effects of the virus, but there will be a few who really really get sick. That's something the Presidents have to have plan for. As a parent, if your son happens to be one of the ones who really gets effected by the virus, who would you turn your anger on?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the meeting you will say to yourself..."What the hell am I doing here...I'm dumber than dirt."
The second thing you will say, 10 minutes after the meeting has begun..."I'm the smartest person in this fucking room."
tenor.gif

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure most of the athletes won't have bad effects of the virus, but there will be a few who really really get sick. That's something the Presidents have to have plan for. As a parent, if your son happens to be one of the ones who really gets effected by the virus, who would you turn your anger on?

It's their choice to not play

This is what is frustrating from the POV as someone who HAS to work. It's okay I expose myself and my family because my job is a must in these times.

Who does my family turn their anger on? No one.

And yes I get it's not an adequate comparison as it's a game. But states are going to be facing real budget issues and college football helps solve the sports part of it. So that the majority of athletes that do nothing with the sport become whatever their profession is.

Everything interrelates

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's their choice to not play

This is what is frustrating from the POV as someone who HAS to work. It's okay I expose myself and my family because my job is a must in these times.

Who does my family turn their anger on? No one.

And yes I get it's not an adequate comparison as it's a game. But states are going to be facing real budget issues and college football helps solve the sports part of it. So that the majority of athletes that do nothing with the sport become whatever their profession is.

Everything interrelates

yeah this isn't like your situation, when these athletes peers/fellow students can have classes online because it's deem not safe to return to campus. I get that football pays the bills but these athletes don't get paid either. Yes they get scholarships with perks, however they too should stay home if the rest of the student body is ordered to do the same.

So, again as a parent, would you advise your son to return to campus if the rest of the student body isn't allowed? Because football must be played?

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah this isn't like your situation, when these athletes peers/fellow students can have classes online because it's deem not safe to return to campus. I get that football pays the bills but these athletes don't get paid either. Yes they get scholarships with perks, however they too should stay home if the rest of the student body is ordered to do the same.

So, again as a parent, would you advise your son to return to campus if the rest of the student body isn't allowed? Because football must be played?

They wouldn't have football if the campus was closed. That is why I agreed with the suggestion of pushing college to February.

If the campus was open I'd tell my son to go play football provided he can.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keep this hard fact in mind: All it takes is for a trainer or a coach or a player to test positive and the team is going into quarantine for 14 days.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Herman did an interview live the other day and said the same thing. He and the other Big12 coaches all feel like they need 6 weeks of practice to get ready for the season.. Broke it down to Pads/shorts to full contact. As much as I think it will be a bad idea, but if they are gonna play it, might as well keep to the original schedule. We act like young healthy men are invincible to this virus but while they may not die.. some will be out for a few weeks as they recover from the symptoms. Wonder how the 300 lb OL/DL players cope with this

I wrote 44 days needed before the first game in an earlier thread 2 weeks ago. The coaches want their spring practice time back, along with their allocated 29 practices before the first game.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention, this recession may break the "mandatory donation" model for tickets moving forward. For my Mich tickets I pay $200 per ticket just for the "opportunity" to purchase my season tickets. With stadiums struggling to get people in seats, this may be the deal that broke the camel's back. With so many people out of jobs right now, I can't imagine people are going to be shelling out $120 per ticket to attend a CFB game in the fall. Even if they're allowed to fill stadiums to some extent, getting people to shell out the money may be a hard request. Mine is already paid for, but this will sure be interesting to see.

I could also see them opening up stadiums ONLY to season ticket holders for "social distance". Like reducing Michigan stadium's capacity to 25-30K. Allow only students and season ticket holders.

That's why there will be no season before any school allows its teams to play in empty stadiums. (Other than Miami
where it is the norm)

The last thing these schools want is for fans to realize how much money they can save by just sitting home and watching
the games on the tube.

If you are NOT trying to break a bad habit, don't introduce folks to a new and better habit.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why there will be no season before any school allows its teams to play in empty stadiums. (Other than Miami
where it is the norm)

The last thing these schools want is for fans to realize how much money they can save by just sitting home and watching
the games on the tube.

If you are NOT trying to break a bad habit, don't introduce folks to a new and better habit.

That's why I think spring looks more likely

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I think spring looks more likely

I said something earlier like that in an earlier thread.

This is not a quote but my remarks were..."The next sport to be played in college will be college football...no matter
when it starts." Without college football money and tv revenue, the schools cannot afford to field any other team
other than football first. Plus, if you play a men's sport, you will have to field one or two women's sports.

I don't know when it will start but the next college sport to be played will be college football. The good thing will be
the ratings on TV. If the first game broadcast is a game between Norwich College and the Coast Guard Academy
there will be 80 million watching the game.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said something earlier like that in an earlier thread.

This is not a quote but my remarks were..."The next sport to be played in college will be college football...no matter
when it starts." Without college football money and tv revenue, the schools cannot afford to field any other team
other than football first. Plus, if you play a men's sport, you will have to field one or two women's sports.

I don't know when it will start but the next college sport to be played will be college football. The good thing will be
the ratings on TV. If the first game broadcast is a game between Norwich College and the Coast Guard Academy
there will be 80 million watching the game.

Yep. As you say the other sports can't field a team without football and to a lesser extent men's hoops. And it goes beyond the sport itself. That's what those kids are getting scholarships for. So they can go into the real world.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not down for a Spring CFB season. If you want to have it, let it be in the fall. England already has a vaccine in the works that could be rolled out by September. Don't believe me watch the Newsy channel on Fios.. it's a refreshing take on actual news reporting..No commentary, just the news.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not down for a Spring CFB season. If you want to have it, let it be in the fall. England already has a vaccine in the works that could be rolled out by September. Don't believe me watch the Newsy channel on Fios.. it's a refreshing take on actual news reporting..No commentary, just the news.
Now there is a novel idea...but that is the way it used to be and now I guess it is consdiered passe.

Be nice if that were the case instead of one "politburo" or the other overtaking news channels.

Unfortunately, an entire industry has been built around "news commentary" and we wouldn't want to hurt an industry that makes money!

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This virus will be gone in 10 weeks.

did I leave anything out?

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA's Football Oversight Committee Suggests 6-Week Practice Period Before Season Can Begin - Stadium

"The NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee has suggested a six-week period before returning to play, sources told Stadium.

The six-week period will not be officially recommended until the committee receives the necessary approval of the NCAA COVID-19 Advisory Panel. That approval could come later this week, sources said. The six-week time frame, if formally approved, is significant because it would give universities a better indication of when exactly the college football season could start, a time frame that’s dependent on allowing students to return to campus this fall in the first place."

Seems like a good idea. The country may be fine by late August but campuses are almost certainly going to be shut down during large chunks of summer where students would normally be on campus to start summer conditioning. Also seems like the NCAA is definitely preparing to start the season late and does that mean losing games or going into December/January?

The idea sounds good, but I hate the thought of losing games. Everybody needs a blowout now and then to really make you feel great.

Starting the season in February is a disaster for teams in the East and Midwest. At least it should be warm for OSU-Michigan.

What I worry about is students on campus. If there are none, in the fall, the NCAA will be very reluctant to allow football to proceed.