• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the start LakersNation was expecting that's for sure. Missing the best player on the team isn't helping things obviously. At some point just gotta get everyone healthy. Too much talent on that team to be stuck around .500 all season long.

Do you think Pelinka will look to make a trade? Don't follow team cap stuff so not sure what's going on with that.

I figure he'll likely start seriously looking at making tweaks around Christmas. How big those tweaks will be will obviously be determined by how things look when they're healthy.

The problem is that they don't really have much to trade, so they may not be able to get anything back that would actually improve the team.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure he'll likely start seriously looking at making tweaks around Christmas. How big those tweaks will be will obviously be determined by how things look when they're healthy.

The problem is that they don't really have much to trade, so they may not be able to get anything back that would actually improve the team.

I got it! Well kinda. This is gonna make as much sense as Kyrie for Simmons. Westbrook for Dame? I know, it's impossible. Nevermind.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the start LakersNation was expecting that's for sure. Missing the best player on the team isn't helping things obviously. At some point just gotta get everyone healthy. Too much talent on that team to be stuck around .500 all season long.

Do you think Pelinka will look to make a trade? Don't follow team cap stuff so not sure what's going on with that.
Thinking one's possibly in the works if I buy the scuttlebutt on some sites. Ain't like Work has said anything yet...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool. But while $70 mil might not be elite of elite, it's enough to add maybe 3 stars or 4-5 good to very good players. They already have 1 star and a very good player in Reyes (who keeps getting better it seems). Rosario is a solid player. Straw an elite fielder, OK leadoff hitter.

Add $70 mil to that and we could contend....since, ya know, we were .500 without all those guys and with the staff decimated by injuries. Sure, that could happen again as it could for anyone.

Sadly, we wont find out unless Dolan ever sells.

There have actually been studies on how much it costs to buy a win in free agency spending using WAR (wins above replacement) and how much teams were willing to pay for players in free agency based on those stats.

The best guess was about $8.6 million per win in free agency. So adding $70 million to the payroll should equate to roughly 8 extra wins.

So I don’t think that money takes you quite as far as you think it does.

Mid to high 80s win totals don’t usually make the playoffs, let alone make noise once they get there.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have actually been studies on how much it costs to buy a win in free agency spending using WAR (wins above replacement) and how much teams were willing to pay for players in free agency based on those stats.

The best guess was about $8.6 million per win in free agency. So adding $70 million to the payroll should equate to roughly 8 extra wins.

Mid to high 80s win totals don’t usually make the playoffs, let alone make noise once they get there.
It's a guess. Might also take into account many of the teams in FA who spend a lot had a lot of wins the previous season so might be harder to win too many more.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a guess. Might also take into account many of the teams in FA who spend a lot had a lot of wins the previous season so might be harder to win too many more.

Do you know what WAR is?

The study didn’t even look at production after signing. It was based on how much it cost to acquire the player based on their past performance trying to find the market value of a win in free agency.

That was the number they came up with.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard Quinn Ewert entered transfer portal. Guess I cannot say I'm that surprised.
I said it a coupld days ago. Once Brown committed, one guy was going out. I’m just surprised it was this early…reminds me of Tate Martell that went to Miami bc he couldn’t handle the competition

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gotta take into account last years multitude of injuries, and Francona, etc.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know what WAR is?

The study didn’t even look at production after signing. It was based on how much it cost to acquire the player based on their past performance trying to find the market value of a win in free agency.

That was the number they came up with.
Wins Above replacement. what you are not getting is it will make a difference what team picks up the player and you cannot just go by the WAR for this. Meaning, you cannot just say if we spend $70 mil we'll add 8 or so wins. we only won 80 games and only spent $35 mil. Adding $70 mil for us will add more wins than a team who won 95 games and spent $200 mil.

Do you really not understand this?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta take into account last years multitude of injuries, and Francona, etc.
also need to take into account what we spent and how many we won last year. Us adding $70 mil should add more wins for us than a team who won 95 games.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wins Above replacement. what you are not getting is it will make a difference what team picks up the player and you cannot just go by the WAR for this. Meaning, you cannot just say if we spend $70 mil we'll add 8 or so wins. we only won 80 games and only spent $35 mil. Adding $70 mil for us will add more wins than a team who won 95 games and spent $200 mil.

Do you really not understand this?

I am talking about how the numbers were calculated. How WAR is calculated.

War is based on estimated runs produced by offensive actions including hitting base running, etc and runs denied by defensive actions using advanced stats.

10 additional runs created equal roughly 1 win.

It literally does not matter if the player is on a 50 win team or a 100 win team. The player’s WAR would be exactly the same.

So no, it doesn’t matter at all how many games the acquiring team won for the purpose of this study. It was about how much it costs to land the players based on their past production. And then if the player produces at the same level, that is how many wins it will add.

Of course it isn’t so cut and dry as to say they will add exactly 8 wins by adding $70 million payroll. Players might overachieve or underachieve. Players might get hurt. Lots of variables.

Could amount to 15 wins. Could amount to 0.

But you are the one not understanding.

Last edited:

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don’t think you are allowed to talk baseball during a lockout

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone see the clip on PTI today where Brian Kelly was trying to talk with a Louisiana accent while introducing himself to LSU fans? It didn't go very well.

And as he was leaving N.D. he tried to take touchdown Jesus with him.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone see the clip on PTI today where Brian Kelly was trying to talk with a Louisiana accent while introducing himself to LSU fans? It didn't go very well.

And as he was leaving N.D. he tried to take touchdown Jesus with him.

That deal is not going to go well in any way

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am talking about how the numbers were calculated. How WAR is calculated.

War is based on estimated runs produced by offensive actions including hitting base running, etc and runs denied by defensive actions using advanced stats.

10 additional runs created equal roughly 1 win.

It literally does not matter if the player is on a 50 win team or a 100 win team. The player’s WAR would be exactly the same.

So no, it doesn’t matter at all how many games the acquiring team won for the purpose of this study. It was about how much it costs to land the players based on their past production. And then if the player produces at the same level, that is how many wins it will add.

Of course it isn’t so cut and dry as to say they will add exactly 8 wins by adding $70 million payroll. Players might overachieve or underachieve. Players might get hurt. Lots of variables.

Could amount to 15 wins. Could amount to 0.

But you are the one not understanding.
If you believe what you are saying and not taking what I say into account, as usual, you have dug your heels too deep to get out.

Last time....a team with a $30 mil payroll who won 80 games is more likely to add more wins than a team who had a $200 mil payroll and won 95-100 games if they each add $70 mil to the payroll.

Never mind we are talking about what the Tribe could be with a league average payroll and to do this fairly, the Tribe would need to add $70 mil while the other team needs to cut $70 mil+.

I'm done. You can have the last word.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe what you are saying and not taking what I say into account, as usual, you have dug your heels too deep to get out.

Last time....a team with a $30 mil payroll who won 80 games is more likely to add more wins than a team who had a $200 mil payroll and won 95-100 games if they each add $70 mil to the payroll.

Never mind we are talking about what the Tribe could be with a league average payroll and to do this fairly, the Tribe would need to add $70 mil while the other team needs to cut $70 mil+.

I'm done. You can have the last word.

You do realize that we aren’t talking about the same thing right?

I hope so.

I get what you are saying. My only point in bringing up those numbers is to say that the Guardians are nowhere near a contender roster today and that $70 million doesn’t go as far as you think it does.

That is it.

You add 4 role players and they still aren’t among the top rosters in the league.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got it! Well kinda. This is gonna make as much sense as Kyrie for Simmons. Westbrook for Dame? I know, it's impossible. Nevermind.

I think the only possible way there would be a Dame for Westbrook trade is Dame would have to have a no trade clause and demand a trade to the Lakers. I don't know if he has one, but even if he does and would use it, he has said that he doesn't want to be part of a superteam, so I don't see him trying to force himself to the Lakers.

What could be interesting though, might be Westbrook for CJ. If Dame were to demand a trade somewhere, the Blazers would basically need to just blow it the rest of the way up and start over. Westbrook would put butts in seats, but not really add enough wins to hurt the Blazers lottery status.