• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to playing the Chiefs.

They are beatable @ChiefsLakers67. :heh:
they absolutely are beatable.

Its just amazing though how a diminutive receiver and a tight end are the catalysts of such an amazing offense.

usually its a 6'3" giant fast receiver like Calvin Johnson.

instead- tight-end, and slot receiver. Pretty amazing.

The Browns put them to the test though and the Ravens beat them. The AFC is no joke this year that is for sure. The more I watch- the more it solidifies for me that the AFC is far superior to the NFC right now.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they absolutely are beatable.

Its just amazing though how a diminutive receiver and a tight end are the catalysts of such an amazing offense.

usually its a 6'3" giant fast receiver like Calvin Johnson.

instead- tight-end, and slot receiver. Pretty amazing.

The Browns put them to the test though and the Ravens beat them. The AFC is no joke this year that is for sure. The more I watch- the more it solidifies for me that the AFC is far superior to the NFC right now.
Isn't the catalyst the generational talent at QB?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Announcers talking like that was a risky call to go for it.

Ravens pick up that 4th down 8 times out of 10 vs KC’s terrible run defense.

If they punt to Mahomes, he gets in field goal range at least 8 times out of 10 with a minute left.

Easy decision, IMO. And the right one. Would have been more risky to punt.
I guess I can see calling risky as you know he's second guessed if it fails. That said, the best coaches don't care about that and follow the numbers.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still takes balls to make that call. Mahomes has that impact. All but 3-4 QBs in this league get that ball punted to them and the game is handed to the defense.
Could say Harbaugh followed the numbers but I agree maybe he makes a different choice if he's kicking to an average QB/offense.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns D looked shaky yesterday.

Mayfield though looked great.

most encouraging thing so far this year has been Mayfield's completion %.

2018: 63.8%
2019: 59.4%
2020: 62.8%
2021: 81.5%

this was the next step he had to take. While I certainly dont expect him to keep up 80% +, If he can stay between 70-75% that would be a big improvement for him.

He was 19/21 yesterday. One of the incompletions was the interception where Schwartz just gave up on the play totally and received a very rare earful from Stefanski on the sidelines.

Landry was out on the 2nd play yesterday. With no Landry and Beckham I thought Baker did a very nice job.
70-75% would be incredible. mid-upper 60s would be OK, too.

Guessing you heard but Landry out 2-3 weeks. Could have been worse.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@dtgold88 @Shanemansj13

how about that catch and run by Felton? Guys- they just might have something there. I mean- my jaw dropped. His first touch is that?!?! that spin move was sick. 35 yard TD!
No doubt a hell of a run. For the Baker critics who were saying he was not playing well because no TD passes, this shows how meaningless that stat can be. Finally gets a TD pass and it was mostly the RB's work. what matters is scoring...and scoring TDs. No matter how.

Before thinking "we have something there" of course we need to see more. Schwartz looked great year 1 and nearly invisible week 2.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, like I said earlier, every QB is a game manager on some level. The most basic art of the job is managing the game by not doing things that hurt the team. Ideally, if the whole team is playing well, even the elite QBs will only need to be game managers.

The difference basically comes down to what they can do when they are needed to make plays because things are not going well.
I'd say hitting 80% of your passes with top 2 WRs out sure helps. As was moving up/down field in a playoff game when your #1 WR was out, 2 starters on line AND their backups, the O-line and asst. O-line coach as well as the HC.

I think you nailed it on description of game manager. My biggest issue with Baker's critics using it as some way to be, well, critical of him was if anything Baker's issues would come when he tried to do too much....ergo, an anti game manager.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope OBJ is back next week if, like it sounds, Landry will be out.

Schwartz has talent but he just does not look like a pro yet. He had some great playsi n teh Chiefs game just based on his INSANE speed, but he still needs to learn how to play the game.
Obviously we could use him but doubt they will factor in Landry not playing in their decision...nor should they.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure both of Baker's picks are Swartz's fault. He stopped on both of his routes.

Yep, the defense looks out of position and the gameplan looks stupid. Why were they played 10 yards off WR's and 5 yards off WR's at the 2 yard line. Woods still needs to prove a lot imo. Still early in the season but still a lot of question marks imo
Can only hope with more time in the system for all the new players they can improve as season goes on like the O did last year. If they cannot then Woods likely goes end of year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that 2 yard TD to Cooks bothered me. Like guys- hello- we are on the 2 yard line- where are we playing 5 yards off?

At least Delpit flashed some ability. He looks so much bigger than I expected. He honestly looks like a linebacker out there. He smashed Mills.
Serious pick play on that one if you rewatch. Sure, D could be blamed for allowing it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yesterday's definitely was...it looked like if he kept running that ball would have been , if not easy for him to catch, not an insanely difficult catch.

he just stopped for some reason. It was infuriating.

you could tell Baker was pissed.

Jason Lloyd wrote an article on TheAthletic last night and said that- after Baker completed the pass to DPJ and he fumbled, and after he threw that pass to Schwartz and he gave up on it- he didnt throw another pass to either guy the whole game.

DPJ and Schwartz both need to grow up quick if Landry AND Beckham are going to be out for the next couple weeks- which is a real possibility. Thank goodness we have 3 good tight ends- and Mr. Dependable- Rashard Higgins- who is always low on the depth chart, but somehow always ends up playing, and always catches the ball when its thrown his way.
Wonder if Baker went to coach and insisted Higgins needs to play more....though stefanski probably figured out on his own.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They looked good vs. San Jose St., but all of the same issues they've had under Helton showed up with a vengeance against Stanford. With Helton gone and Williams as interim, it was a completely different energy vs. Wazzou.

Except for 1 really bad year, Helton did a pretty good job keeping the talent level up. So the right coach can literally turn the program around in a year, 2 max. Unlike tOSU, who seems to get the coach right every time, USC seems to get it right about every 3rd or 4th coach. So they're due to make the right hire this time. lol
No doubt OSU has done well with coaches since the Cooper debacle. And 2 of 3 were pretty much unknowns. Would think USC just needs to be patient as seems like would be a very attractive job.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say hitting 80% of your passes with top 2 WRs out sure helps. As was moving up/down field in a playoff game when your #1 WR was out, 2 starters on line AND their backups, the O-line and asst. O-line coach as well as the HC.

I think you nailed it on description of game manager. My biggest issue with Baker's critics using it as some way to be, well, critical of him was if anything Baker's issues would come when he tried to do too much....ergo, an anti game manager.

The more I think about it, I'm not sure "game manager" is the right description for Baker, but I also am not sure what term would be better because he isn't elite yet.

I thought of it when watching Sam Darnold play the last couple of weeks. Baker and Sam are very similar in how they play and approach the game. They both play quarterback, but think like linebackers. They think they have to win the game on every play and won't ever give up on a play.

So, when they should just take the sack or throw the ball away, they're going to try to force the ball in or try to use their legs. Leads to unnecessary interceptions, fumbles and lowers completion percentage. Now that each player has competent coaching, they are actually learning how to be game managers so that they can make the right decisions. Baker is farther along than Sam, which is part of why I noticed it. Sam tried to make a play yesterday that Baker would have tried 2 years ago, but probably not now. But, I also saw him throw a couple of passes away that he previously would have tried to force.

It's like Phil used to say about running the triangle with MJ and Kobe...sometimes, the team needed them to operate outside of the triangle. The trick was to get them to understand when the team needed them to do that and when it just needed them to be part of the offense. That's the part that both Baker and Sam are learning and assuming they do, they'll both be much better QB's and we'll get to see how far they can go.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, I'm not sure "game manager" is the right description for Baker, but I also am not sure what term would be better because he isn't elite yet.

I thought of it when watching Sam Darnold play the last couple of weeks. Baker and Sam are very similar in how they play and approach the game. They both play quarterback, but think like linebackers. They think they have to win the game on every play and won't ever give up on a play.

So, when they should just take the sack or throw the ball away, they're going to try to force the ball in or try to use their legs. Leads to unnecessary interceptions, fumbles and lowers completion percentage. Now that each player has competent coaching, they are actually learning how to be game managers so that they can make the right decisions. Baker is farther along than Sam, which is part of why I noticed it. Sam tried to make a play yesterday that Baker would have tried 2 years ago, but probably not now. But, I also saw him throw a couple of passes away that he previously would have tried to force.

It's like Phil used to say about running the triangle with MJ and Kobe...sometimes, the team needed them to operate outside of the triangle. The trick was to get them to understand when the team needed them to do that and when it just needed them to be part of the offense. That's the part that both Baker and Sam are learning and assuming they do, they'll both be much better QB's and we'll get to see how far they can go.
Ironically, Baker's improvement is because he is being more of a system QB and game manager. Just absurd to use this as a knock on him as is usually the case when the terms are applied to him by his critics. They forget many of the elite of elite QBs (like the GOAT, for instance) are system QBs/game managers.

With top WRs out and an injured arm he kind of needed to be a game manager yesterday and not throw downfield much. Never mind that's likely what was given in the Tampa 2 D by Lovie. Your comments on Baker/Darnold are very true. Darnold getting away from NYJ (and Baker from Freddie) I'm sure helped both.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And even he managed a run of 4 or so 10 and 11 win seasons and some Big 10 titles.
No doubt OSU has avoided the long run of mediocre to bad play that even the best of the best have all seen (USC, Texas, Bama, etc). Coop had 1-2 really bad years but usually won 9-11 (8 at worse). UM losses were a killer for him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And 2 of 3 were pretty much unknowns. Would think USC just needs to be patient as seems like would be a very attractive job.

Yeah, USC doesn't need a "big name" or someone with ties to USC. They just need someone who can run a football program.

I've said before, Pete Carroll was never a great coach, he was great at running a football program, putting the right guys in the right positions and moving on from guys who weren't getting the job done.