• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure which TV personality was calling the shots, lol. Either the GM or the head coach...
I'm pretty sure it was Gruden saying something like "don't worry about their character, just get me some talent" that convinced Mayock to double down.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked his draft scouting reports for CBS back in the day.
I often did, too.....but seeing what happened with him makes it seem even more foolish when fans say someone reached in the NFL draft. why? Because a fake GM thought a guy would go later than he was picked? Maybe the fake GM was wrong. Never mind I'd bet if we could see all the draft boards they'd look wildly different.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I often did, too.....but seeing what happened with him makes it seem even more foolish when fans say someone reached in the NFL draft. why? Because a fake GM thought a guy would go later than he was picked? Maybe the fake GM was wrong. Never mind I'd bet if we could see all the draft boards they'd look wildly different.

The draft is a value based game.

It isn’t just about getting the right players. It is about getting them at the right time.

Yes, every team has their own board. But it is absolutely essential to have a gauge on the market.

Because if you trade up to draft a guy in the 1st that the market values as a 3rd, you wasted assets.

Reaching a little to get the player you really want is fine. But reach too much and you lose out on value that could have been used to compile a better team.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure what happened to soccer forum

But Haaland with 5 goals is pretty crazy

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is a value based game.

It isn’t just about getting the right players. It is about getting them at the right time.

Yes, every team has their own board. But it is absolutely essential to have a gauge on the market.

Because if you trade up to draft a guy in the 1st that the market values as a 3rd, you wasted assets.

Reaching a little to get the player you really want is fine. But reach too much and you lose out on value that could have been used to compile a better team.
OK....but assuming you agree each board would look wildly different, unless the other GMs were kind enough to show their board to other teams you don't know where guys are valued to be picked. They are like the CIA when it comes to their draft intel.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK....but assuming you agree each board would look wildly different, unless the other GMs were kind enough to show their board to other teams you don't know where guys are valued to be picked. They are like the CIA when it comes to their draft intel.

Nah.

You don’t know how individual GMs value players.

But there are enough fake GMs doing mocks to get a pretty good consensus on the market.

Reaching too far to get your guy is usually worse than missing him because someone else reaches.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah.

You don’t know how individual GMs value players.

But there are enough fake GMs doing mocks to get a pretty good consensus on the market.

Reaching too far to get your guy is usually worse than missing him because someone else reaches.
The fake GMs are guessing what the real GMs will do. If they wanted to, ESPN could convince fans that Cade Stover should be a first round pick.

I will say the mocks in the NBA are a much better gauge as the draft usually comes close to resembling what they put together....maybe because NBA GMs are afraid to be second guessed?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fake GMs are guessing what the real GMs will do. If they wanted to, ESPN could convince fans that Cade Stover should be a first round pick.

I will say the mocks in the NBA are a much better gauge as the draft usually comes close to resembling what they put together....maybe because NBA GMs are afraid to be second guessed?

I don’t think you understand how market value works.

And I am not saying ESPN has the answer, nor do I care what the fans think.

The market value of a player in the draft is the average of where experts think they should be drafted based on their talent.

Get enough data from enough experts and you can get a pretty good feel of a player’s market value.

No guarantee someone won’t value a given player higher than you do.

But taking a 3rd round prospect in the 1st round is usually a mistake. Even if the player ends up being good.

You have to take some risk that you might lose your guy in order to maximize value.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think you understand how market value works.

And I am not saying ESPN has the answer, nor do I care what the fans think.

The market value of a player in the draft is the average of where experts think they should be drafted based on their talent.

Get enough data from enough experts and you can get a pretty good feel of a player’s market value.

No guarantee someone won’t value a given player higher than you do.

But taking a 3rd round prospect in the 1st round is usually a mistake. Even if the player ends up being good.

You have to take some risk that you might lose your guy in order to maximize value.
I guess you don't understand real GMs don't care what fake GMs/experts think. at least a good one shouldn't.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you don't understand real GMs don't care what fake GMs/experts think. at least a good one shouldn't.

It isn’t what “they think”

It is an approximation of the market.

The GMs who traditionally draft the best absolutely have a feel for value.

Because again, it isn’t just about drafting the right player, it is getting the right player at the right time.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders had 2 first round picks in 2019---- Arnette and Ruggs- both are in jail. hmmm....not great Bob.
Arnette and Ruggs were in 2020.

Max Crosby, Josh Jacobs, Hunter Renfrow in 2019.....

Know your shit. Or don't open your mouth.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t what “they think”

It is an approximation of the market.

The GMs who traditionally draft the best absolutely have a feel for value.

Because again, it isn’t just about drafting the right player, it is getting the right player at the right time.
At the same time, there’s value in zigging when others zag. I look at Campbell’s rookie class this season and he got great production out of 3 guys that most would say he overdrafted in Gibbs, Campbell, and Branch. All 3 of those guys were major contributors on their team and will be important pieces in their core going forward.

However, I agree with you on GMs having a solid idea on value when it comes to where people will and should be drafted.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s worth the tag. He was a godsend for them this season. Spags can run his pressure shit with the knowledge that Sneed is gonna lock down your best guy or at least make it a tough night for that best guy.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arnette and Ruggs were in 2020.

Max Crosby, Josh Jacobs, Hunter Renfrow in 2019.....

Know your shit. Or don't open your mouth.
sorry- the jailbirds are from the next year--- one of the picks from the Mack trade...lol....