• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals: Warriors vs Cavaliers

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you're getting your numbers. According to nba.com stats, both teams had 17 attempts that were open (defender 4-6 feet away) and both teams had 17 attempts that were wide open (defender 6+feet away). Both teams went 10/34 on those shots.

Either way, I'd be curious to know how many of the open looks the Warriors generated in transition vs half court offense. Their transition defense was bad - but I wouldn't expect anyone to turn the ball over 20 times against the Warriors and have good transition defense. If I were Lue I wouldn't be focused on better transition defense, I'd focus on less turnovers.

I saw the tweet this morning from one of the cavs/warriors reporters. I will try to find it.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't recall them allowing so many dunks and layups.

How much of that was in transition vs half court?

Again, the problem isn't the defense. The Cavs defense will never be able to handle the Warriors with numbers on a fastbreak after a turnover.

The way to stop all of those points in the paint is to take care of the ball.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, just wow. You could just tell from the first 10 minutes that the dubs want this ring so bad. Cant imagine when will another team from the west get through this team.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cav's looked out of sorts on Defense. Can't recall them allowing so many dunks and layups. My guess, they fix that and make it a better series, don't think they will win, but last nights game wasn't that fun to watch in the second half.

hear what you're saying, but i had fun watching the 2nd half...:D

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the
That game can be played at anytime for any team and means nothing. Did the Cavs play well?

All I'm saying is that I think people are focusing on the wrong thing if they think the Cavs defense was the problem in game 1.

I'm not saying their defense was amazing, but it was more than adequate enough to give them a chance to win the game.

The problem was the Cavs offense / the Warriors defense. Turning the ball over 20 times against an elite offense can make your defense look really bad - but the offense is the real culprit here.
All of that is true enough, but the question I've had for quite a while now is what will they do with KD? The Bron free saftey role can't be played, and if they put Bron on KD for the whole game, it may wear him down on offense

Reactions: LAD

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs were lucky to be in the game at halftime. After turning the ball over 12 times in the 2nd quarter, it felt like they should be down by 25. Yet they were within 8.

But then in the first 5 possessions of the 3rd quarter they committed 4 more turnovers, the lead ballooned to 21 really fast, and the game was pretty much over.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the

All of that is true enough, but the question I've had for quite a while now is what will they do with KD? The Bron free saftey role can't be played, and if they put Bron on KD for the whole game, it may wear him down on offense

They're obviously not gonna shut down KD, but I truly thought they did a good job of him in the half court. KD was 5/5 on fastbreak with 12 points. Meaning he was 9 for 21 in the half court.

KD feasted on the turnovers. He did an amazing job of making the defenders pick him or the shooters. Half the time the cavs ran to the shooters and he ran in and dunked it. The other half of the time he kicked it out to Curry for 3.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs defense was fine. Seriously. Their offense is what kept them from being competitive in game 1. (Or the Warriors defense, however you want to look at it).

It wasn't just the missed shots (Cav players not name LeBron went 8 - 28 on uncontested shots. Looking at you Korver). It was the live-ball turnovers. The Warriors feasted in transition, Durant getting open dunks, Curry hitting transition 3's.

No one on the Warriors had a good shooting game. Even with all of the easy transition points, they shot 43% from the field as a team.

Cavs half court defense is fine. Their transition defense was bad, but good transition defense against this Warriors team when you're giving up liveball turnovers is probably impossible.

Ball security & Crashing the defensive glass should be the top priorities for Game 2.

50 uncontested shots

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50 uncontested shots

I saw that tweet from bk. According to nba.com player tracking, both teams had 17 uncontested shots (no defender within 6 feet) and 17 open (defender 4-6 feet away).

Until I see a better source than a tweet... I'm gonna go with nba.com - the only site with access to the playerVU tracking system.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lue said it perfectly in his post game presser. The best defense the Cavs have this series is their offense. They can't turn the ball over or take quick, bad shots that lead to run outs for the Warriors. GS is simply to lethal in transition. I actually thought the Cavs did okay on defense when GS had to run their half court stuff. Obviously some of that was Klay struggling, but they were fine there IMO. The Cavs need other people to step up besides LBJ and Kyrie. When Love, JR, TT, Shump, KK and Williams go a combined 7-31 from the field the Cavs have no shot.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lue said it perfectly in his post game presser. The best defense the Cavs have this series is their offense. They can't turn the ball over or take quick, bad shots that lead to run outs for the Warriors. GS is simply to lethal in transition.

:dingdingding:

I didn't know Lue said that, but that's what I've been saying all morning.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That game can be played at anytime for any team and means nothing. Did the Cavs play well?

All I'm saying is that I think people are focusing on the wrong thing if they think the Cavs defense was the problem in game 1.

I'm not saying their defense was amazing, but it was more than adequate enough to give them a chance to win the game.

The problem was the Cavs offense / the Warriors defense. Turning the ball over 20 times against an elite offense can make your defense look really bad - but the offense is the real culprit here.

The problem is adequate isn't enough against us. Also you don't have a Harrison Barnes to leave wide open

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is adequate isn't enough against us. Also you don't have a Harrison Barnes to leave wide open

What I said was "adequate enough to give them a chance to win the game".

This Cavs defense will never be great. They are an elite team because of their offense. They need serviceable defense (which I believe they had last night) and elite offense (which they definitely did not have last night) for a chance to win a game against the Warriors.

Credit to the Warriors defense for disrupting the Cavs offense.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I said was "adequate enough to give them a chance to win the game".

This Cavs defense will never be great. They are an elite team because of their offense. They need serviceable defense (which I believe they had last night) and elite offense (which they definitely did not have last night) for a chance to win a game against the Warriors.

Credit to the Warriors defense for disrupting the Cavs offense.

Love was strong on the boards & is capable of good shooting at times. However - I have to wonder if this guy ever plays defense. He might be one of the worst defenders in the NBA.