• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Miami Heat

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. You can defend him all you want. I read a part of it. You saw what I quoted, stopped reading after that. Didn't need to read anymore of his boo-hoo fest. Complaining Bam & Goran were injured. Well too fucking bad. I don't like it when anyone has to play the injury excuse card.
BKS doesn't either, normally.....but you know the Heat lost so his narrative changed.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BKS doesn't either, normally.....but you know the Heat lost so his narrative changed.

Thing is, @bksballer89 isn’t wrong.

You guys ever done an interview with media before? I have done a few. It isn’t easy.

In my case, since I am nobody, the reporter only used quotes that made sense and made me look good. In the case of a public figure it is often exactly the opposite.

Take 1 word out of that quote and the entire meaning changes. It was a word he shouldn’t have said, and I am sure he would take it back it’d he could have.

But you all are way overanalyzing a small piece of the man’s quote.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riles is a bitter bitch.

To be fair, I honestly don't think he meant it quite like it comes across. I think he simply meant that he would like to have seen both teams at full strength. He just took it too far with the asterisk comment.

Of course he'll always wonder what would have happened if the Heat were at full strength. If they're being honest, I'm sure the Lakers wonder the same thing. I'm sure they also wonder if winning the title would have been easier with Avery Bradley.

But, everyone also knows, or should, that winning a title has always been a war of attrition as much as anything. That's why there's almost always something to wonder/what if about.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, @bksballer89 isn’t wrong.

You guys ever done an interview with media before? I have done a few. It isn’t easy.

In my case, since I am nobody, the reporter only used quotes that made sense and made me look good. In the case of a public figure it is often exactly the opposite.

Take 1 word out of that quote and the entire meaning changes. It was a word he shouldn’t have said, and I am sure he would take it back it’d he could have.

But you all are way overanalyzing a small piece of the man’s quote.

I disagree. He said what he said. It's there and even in context, it isn't any better. Then the attempt to explain it away by claiming he meant the Heat loss has an asterisk, but not the Lakers win, is just cringe worthy. If the loss gets an asterisk, then by definition, so does the win, since you can't have one without the other.

Riley gave a perfectly reasonable response, but he took it one line too far. If he simply stopped before the asterisk comment, nothing gets made of this. But he didn't and that's on him, not on people "overanalyzing a small piece of one man's quote".

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? He said the Lakers won fair and square (which they did)

He also said There will always be that asterisk. That caveat.

Just admit he should have stopped short of that comment and move on.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. He said what he said. It's there and even in context, it isn't any better. Then the attempt to explain it away by claiming he meant the Heat loss has an asterisk, but not the Lakers win, is just cringe worthy. If the loss gets an asterisk, then by definition, so does the win, since you can't have one without the other.

Riley gave a perfectly reasonable response, but he took it one line too far. If he simply stopped before the asterisk comment, nothing gets made of this. But he didn't and that's on him, not on people "overanalyzing a small piece of one man's quote".

I disagree

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly.

1 line, really 1 word he shouldn’t have said.

I am sure he would even tell you that.

And while that is absolutely on him, you all are still over analyzing and making too much out of it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

1 line, really 1 word he shouldn’t have said.

I am sure he would even tell you that.

And while that is absolutely on him, you all are still over analyzing and making too much out of it.

And often times, 1 sentence or 1 word is all it takes to fuck up an entire story/narrative. And no one is analyzing or overanalyzing anything. We're calling a stupid statement a stupid statement because it was a stupid statement.

The only ones overanalyzing are those trying to spin it for him.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys take one line from a very long interview and make assumptions.

It's what everyone does now. Reading an entire interview is long and exhausting. Media in all verticals, especially sports likes to pick out singular quotes for clicks.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Not saying Riley is right here,

But being injured in game 1 of the series and being retired are 2 very different things.
they are...but this was not like most retirements. did come back the next year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who storming off? It is football sunday. I have not posted on this thread in at least a week.

TF are you talking about?

The only reason I'm here is because someone decided to tag me

Everyone who actually watched the full interview know what Pat meant. Of course people like you who didn't watch a second of it see this quote and make ridiculous assumptions.
Yeah...read his mind again instead of just take him for his word. The guy said exactly what he is accused of saying. He used the word, asterisk.

The idea you cannot just see it for what it is is comical.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys want to see the question that was asked and his full response then click on the link in that tweet.

yeah...you are not helping yourself here. But it's free comedy so I'm not complaining.