• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA championship: Celtics vs Mavs

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,371.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And people wonder why some call people from Massachusetts Mass-holes?

This thread is a perfect example. Fucking grumpy old man who struggles with reading comprehension.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon man.

They are a very good team. What makes them good is that they have 6 high level starters. Their 5th best player would be a 2 or 3 on almost any other team.

That does not make them a superteam. That isn’t what a superteam is.

Celtics are a lot closer to ‘04 pistons than 2012 Heat in terms of roster build.
They couldn’t put a hundo on those Stones.

But they’re really, really good.

Dallas isn’t.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics would really be shit without the 3 point line. Good thing for them that circus act in intact.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon man.

They are a very good team. What makes them good is that they have 6 high level starters. Their 5th best player would be a 2 or 3 on almost any other team.

That does not make them a superteam. That isn’t what a superteam is.

Celtics are a lot closer to ‘04 pistons than 2012 Heat in terms of roster build.
^ This

What stands out about these Celtics is their lack of weaknesses... they're strong at seemingly everything, and they have an amazing amount of versatility across their playoff roster. Guys who can all of shoot, drive, pass, rebound and defend.

We're just one game in, though. No one should be planning any parades yet. Still, I think the Celtics match-up well vs Dallas... they've got the roster to man up against Doncic and Irving, suffocate the rest of Mavs, and live with the results.

Indy was actually a nice warm-up for Boston because they play at such a breakneck pace. Dallas by contrast is slow as molasses... the C's probably feel some relief being able to consistently set their powerful defense and play chess on that end.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ This

What stands out about these Celtics is their lack of weaknesses... they're strong at seemingly everything, and they have an amazing amount of versatility across their playoff roster. Guys who can all of shoot, drive, pass, rebound and defend.

We're just one game in, though. No one should be planning any parades yet. Still, I think the Celtics match-up well vs Dallas... they've got the roster to man up against Doncic and Irving, suffocate the rest of Mavs, and live with the results.

Indy was actually a nice warm-up for Boston because they play at such a breakneck pace. Dallas by contrast is slow as molasses... the C's probably feel some relief being able to consistently set their powerful defense and play chess on that end.
G I said earlier they need to play at a fast pace Hope they continue this

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Doncic always gonna be able to score... he's just too good.

But Kyrie really seemed to struggle against the length and quality defenders that the C's can continually throw at him.

"...Irving hasn't won a game against Boston in over three years. That's right, Irving has now lost 11 consecutive games against his former team, including the regular season and playoffs, with the last win coming in Game 5 of the 2021 first-round series between Boston and the Brooklyn Nets.

In the 11 straight losses, Irving has averaged 20 points on 41% shooting from the field and 28% from 3-point range. Those numbers are all down significantly from his career marks of 25.6 points, 50% field goals and 41% 3s
..."

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did not even make third team
Meant last year but yeah fair enough. Top 20 then instead of top 15.

Not saying they are a super team. But they are more stacked than any other team. @tlance there is at least one hall of famer on the team and likely 1-2 more. 2004 pistons had none, not a good comp. Easily the best team in the league

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,371.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not saying they are a super team. But they are more stacked than any other team. @tlance there is at least one hall of famer on the team and likely 1-2 more. 2004 pistons had none, not a good comp. Easily the best team in the league
Chauncey Billups said hold my beer.

Ben Wallace said hi.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we agree there are no superteams today....but it's starting to feel like the Celtics this year are lil' superteamy?

No top 5 guy but a top 8 guy (JT), a top 15 guy (JB), a top 30 (KP) and a top 50 (Holiday), and good role players like White.

These guys dominated the regular season more than any team since the KD warriors. Played good D and O, tons of 3s.

It's looking like a coronation...these guys looked great when I said they were gonna win the title 3-4 months ago, not some big deal to pick the favorite. But that's my point: these guys are close to super. Easy pick well before the season ended.

… when I said this could be a historic team, I meant as a Celtic team. I’m thinking better than 2008. It wasn’t until the Pacers series (3rd game namely) where I saw some stable resilience I haven’t seen from the Celtics in years. Last nights 3rd quarter backed that observation way up. They won’t be seen as a super team this year because of the lack of competition, even if they sweep …

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics would really be shit without the 3 point line. Good thing for them that circus act in intact.

sometimes I hate it … live by the 3, die by the 3 … it’s too important … way more than even a drive into a set D with a slam dunk … last night, like every game, the celts could have gone flat if they got a bit colder on those 3s … like Dallas did … but when Horeford made the opening 3, then White, and then Hauser (who was stone cold in the playoffs), I knew the Celts were gonna be in this game
… but, they would not be shit with Tatum and Brown having the ability to drive like they did in the 3rd to stop Dallas’s comeback

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sometimes I hate it … live by the 3, die by the 3 … it’s too important … way more than even a drive into a set D with a slam dunk … last night, like every game, the celts could have gone flat if they got a bit colder on those 3s … like Dallas did … but when Horeford made the opening 3, then White, and then Hauser (who was stone cold in the playoffs), I knew the Celts were gonna be in this game
… but, they would not be shit with Tatum and Brown having the ability to drive like they did in the 3rd to stop Dallas’s comeback
That’s what makes them a complete team

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still not a superteam.

Super teams are special. They require at least 2 superstars.

They don’t come along all that often.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chauncey Billups said hold my beer.

Ben Wallace said hi.
Oh right, forgot they let those not really so great ones in to the easiest Hall to make. OK change my post to no superstars. We all know what I mean. Brown coached that team with fantastic defense and blending talent and won a title with nobody great, a lot of very good.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not a superteam.

Super teams are special. They require at least 2 superstars.

They don’t come along all that often.
Hence my comment:

Not saying they are a super team.