• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nash officially retires

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will always consider him a thief. He stole money and draft picks from the Lakers. He should have retired 2 years ago. Never played defense and was average unless he played in a crappy D'Antoni jack up all the shots you can offense. He never should have won those MVPs. Kobe was robbed.

:lol: I sense anger in this post.

Oh and :lol: :lol: @Steve Nash stole 2 draft picks from the Lakers. I wonder what players he used them on?:confused2:

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh and :lol: :lol: @Steve Nash stole 2 draft picks from the Lakers. I wonder what players he used them on?:confused2:

Maybe the Lakers need better security to guard those draft picks.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LMAO - You can't blame the guy for taking that money when it was offered so freely - That's just the nature of business. I do think he intended to play and thought he could at the time though. I personally thought it was a bad idea at the time and considered it a huge gamble. Not sure what the Lakers could have done better really

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will always consider him a thief. He stole money and draft picks from the Lakers. He should have retired 2 years ago. Never played defense and was average unless he played in a crappy D'Antoni jack up all the shots you can offense. He never should have won those MVPs. Kobe was robbed.
BUT KOBE IS GOT 25 MILLION THIS YEAR - WHAT ABOUT THAT?:scratch:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO - You can't blame the guy for taking that money when it was offered so freely - That's just the nature of business. I do think he intended to play and thought he could at the time though. I personally thought it was a bad idea at the time and considered it a huge gamble. Not sure what the Lakers could have done better really

Exactly. Shit happens. Nash was coming off an all star caliber season and looked to have at least 2 good years left when the Lakers got him. He has done everything he could to get back on the court, but his body gave out on him. I hate it for him because he's been such an amazing player and I had hoped to see him get a shot in the finals. I hate it for the Lakers because of "what might have been" had he been able to stay healthy.

For someone to say that Nash stole money and draft picks from the Lakers is just ridiculous.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not some hater nor a moron. I just don't consider Steve Nash some all time great. I have strong reasons that in my opinion make his career a very very very good but not all-time great.

It is entirely possible to be a great player, hall of famer, and still not alltime great.

1. His great years essentially did not come until age 30...limiting his elite years to a small window.
Whether he was just a late bloomer, overlooked early by idiot coaches, or benefited from a gimmicky SSOL system late....his dominant offensive numbers never showed up in the first 8 years. That made him one of those classic "peak year" guys. He played about 9 decent seasons and 6 great seasons.

2. He was a bad defender.
Nash was truly one of the worst defender of his era. We get caught up in the fancy passes and high octant offense but forget the dreadfully bad defense side of the court.

3. He never won anything or even came close.
Nash is going to retire as the all time leader in games played WITHOUT even making a finals. Forget about winning a ring, that is not even getting to the finals. All 35 players above him on that list made/won the finals.
I don't consider it some unfair standard to at least require an appearance in the finals. All time greatness should at least flirt with winning once in a while.

4. The hall-of-fame is not some ticket to being elevated to godhood. In every hall of fame, there is diffrent levels of hall-of-famers. James Worthy goes in..but nobody looks at him like his teamates in Kareem and Magic.

Great guy, nice person, classy ambassador to the sport, hall of famer..... just not all time great.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not some hater nor a moron. I just don't consider Steve Nash some all time great. I have strong reasons that in my opinion make his career a very very very good but not all-time great.

It is entirely possible to be a great player, hall of famer, and still not alltime great.

1. His great years essentially did not come until age 30...limiting his elite years to a small window.
Whether he was just a late bloomer, overlooked early by idiot coaches, or benefited from a gimmicky SSOL system late....his dominant offensive numbers never showed up in the first 8 years. That made him one of those classic "peak year" guys. He played about 9 decent seasons and 6 great seasons.

2. He was a bad defender.
Nash was truly one of the worst defender of his era. We get caught up in the fancy passes and high octant offense but forget the dreadfully bad defense side of the court.

3. He never won anything or even came close.
Nash is going to retire as the all time leader in games played WITHOUT even making a finals. Forget about winning a ring, that is not even getting to the finals. All 35 players above him on that list made/won the finals.
I don't consider it some unfair standard to at least require an appearance in the finals. All time greatness should at least flirt with winning once in a while.

4. The hall-of-fame is not some ticket to being elevated to godhood. In every hall of fame, there is diffrent levels of hall-of-famers. James Worthy goes in..but nobody looks at him like his teamates in Kareem and Magic.

Great guy, nice person, classy ambassador to the sport, hall of famer..... just not all time great.

1.) His elite years lasted until he was about 38 or 39 years old. 8-9 years is not such a small window.

2.) No argument here. However, he isn't the only all-time great for whom defense was, at best, an afterthought.

3.) Actually, he and the Suns were a Robert Horry "hip check into the boards" from making it to the finals. But as a Spurs fan, your probably forgot about that. Additionally, by that criteria, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilkins and countless others were not all-time great players.

4.) There are different levels of greatness as well. Worthy may not have been in the rareified air of Magic, Kareem, MJ and Bird, but he's still an all-time great as is Steve Nash.

Also, do you consider Timmy an all-time great? Because Nash has the same number of mvp awards.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,724.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let the butthurt go.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a unique kind of retarded aren't you?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a good player, by far the best Canadian NBA player of all time.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Shit happens. Nash was coming off an all star caliber season and looked to have at least 2 good years left when the Lakers got him. He has done everything he could to get back on the court, but his body gave out on him. I hate it for him because he's been such an amazing player and I had hoped to see him get a shot in the finals. I hate it for the Lakers because of "what might have been" had he been able to stay healthy.

For someone to say that Nash stole money and draft picks from the Lakers is just ridiculous.
If he did then I would like to be the next thief in line:lol:

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ Laker fans for being mad at Nash, who the hell would give up that much for an old fart? Blame the FO for that huge mistake.

But dude was truly one of my fave players to watch. Wish he would've stuck around in this golden age of PGs.

Aaaand dude was a GREAT player, only knock on him was his D.

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) His elite years lasted until he was about 38 or 39 years old. 8-9 years is not such a small window.

2.) No argument here. However, he isn't the only all-time great for whom defense was, at best, an afterthought.

3.) Actually, he and the Suns were a Robert Horry "hip check into the boards" from making it to the finals. But as a Spurs fan, your probably forgot about that. Additionally, by that criteria, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilkins and countless others were not all-time great players.

4.) There are different levels of greatness as well. Worthy may not have been in the rareified air of Magic, Kareem, MJ and Bird, but he's still an all-time great as is Steve Nash.

Also, do you consider Timmy an all-time great? Because Nash has the same number of mvp awards.
Uh, big Nash fan here and I agree with all your points but Duncan is arguably top 10 all time, prob will go down as GOAT in his position, Nash will not.But he's top 5 PG in my lifetime that Ive seen (Magic is my alltime fave)

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ Laker fans for being mad at Nash, who the hell would give up that much for an old fart? Blame the FO for that huge mistake.

But dude was truly one of my fave players to watch. Wish he would've stuck around in this golden age of PGs.

Hell - I was mad at Jim Bush for taking a player that was old enough to have grandchildren running around. He's 41 now, and was 38 at the time. While I agree that he had been one of the best players in recent years, it should have been a no brainer that the guy was old, and old means that his body would break down

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, big Nash fan here and I agree with all your points but Duncan is arguably top 10 all time, prob will go down as GOAT in his position, Nash will not.But he's top 5 PG in my lifetime that Ive seen (Magic is my alltime fave)

I agree. Just was making a point to the Spurs fan who claimed that Nash isn't an all time great. I agree too that Timmy may well go down as GOAT for his position and Nash won't (Magic ruined any possible discussion about GOAT at pg). But one doesn't need to be the GOAT at their position to be an all time great. Otherwise, we'd only have 5 all time greats.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad I got to see him have some really good years playing with Dirk. To this day Mark Cuban says it was the worst decision he's made, letting him go.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I only saw one Lakers fan who was mad at Nash. Pretty much every other Lakers fan feels bad for the guy. Also, anyone claiming that the Lakers made a huge mistake in getting him are using revisionist history. At the time of the trade, Nash was coming off an all-star caliber season and pretty much everyone was predicting a Lakers/Heat finals.

The Lakers went "all in" trying to get Kobe a last championship run or 2 and it blew up in their face. Shit happens. People claiming they "knew" or that the Lakers "should have known" are just using hindsight and revising history.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uh, just one Lakers fan - not all.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only saw one Lakers fan who was mad at Nash. Pretty much every other Lakers fan feels bad for the guy. Also, anyone claiming that the Lakers made a huge mistake in getting him are using revisionist history. At the time of the trade, Nash was coming off an all-star caliber season and pretty much everyone was predicting a Lakers/Heat finals.

The Lakers went "all in" trying to get Kobe a last championship run or 2 and it blew up in their face. Shit happens. People claiming they "knew" or that the Lakers "should have known" are just using hindsight and revising history.
Not necessarily revisionist history - in my case - I have not been a fan of the older players that the Lakers have picked up over the years. Going back further - Karl Malone was one of them. There was another one by the name of Grant Hill or similar name that got amnestied in the CBA before the last one. I am a fan of bringing in some younger talent for the benefit of the future of the team. I loved Nash, but he was old and I have to agree with Charles Barkley when he says "FATHER TIME IS UNDEFEATED" His opinion is that sooner or later the body is going to start falling apart because of that. I loved the idea of Nash and Kobe, but I really didn't like the idea of giving Kobe 25 million this last time either and thought it would have been better to start the rebuilding process a sooner, but may be Kobe will make his last year fun for us.